Old 27-10-2017, 02:31 AM
TareqPhoto (Tareq)

Hard cases

Hi again,

I would like to know what kind of hard cases i should get for my astrophotography equipment?

Pelican is like Rolls Royce of hard cases to me, i have 2 or few of them, but they are very very expensive for what they are worth, so, are there another hard cases brands which are much cheaper?

I saw some brands or models, and specifications are closer to Pelican as material used and watertight and whatever, so why Pelican is higher price and some other brands of higher prices? i feel it is more about the brand name regardless the high quality they are.

For now i am looking for a hard case to accommodate about 3 or 4 cameras at once, the two cameras now i have are QHY163M and QHY5LIIM, later i am thinking to buy maybe 1 or 2 cameras, one of them could be ASI290, the other one is either ASI224 or the new big brother of 224, and the bag/case will accommodate also accessories of the cameras such as cables, power, adapters,....etc, and i don't want too big case after all, those cameras are small sizes after all, no need for wheels cases and not so heavy if available.
Old 27-10-2017, 10:59 AM
iborg (Philip)

Hi Tareq

You might find something like this locally. Hopefully the size is suitable for at least some of what you want.

https://www.jaycar.com.au/search?tex...0-d7844a3f7e99

Philip
Old 28-10-2017, 12:29 AM
TareqPhoto (Tareq)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iborg View Post
Hi Tareq

You might find something like this locally. Hopefully the size is suitable for at least some of what you want.

https://www.jaycar.com.au/search?tex...0-d7844a3f7e99

Philip
Hi Philip,

Thanks

Your link took me to a site with 4 items, one of them is an aluminium case, i saw that alu cases somewhere else but i wasn't sure about aluminium cases performance, i saw some hard cases on eBay, but are other hard cases with same material of Pelican of good quality?
Old 30-10-2017, 08:17 AM
iborg (Philip)

Hi Tareq

I was thinking more along the lines of possible case types, than quality.

As with so many things, I expect that quality in the aluminium cases goes up with price, but, not always of course.

I have looked at some of the Jaycar ones, and they do seem OK.

The advantage of the Pelican type cases is that generally seal well against the elements. In your area would sand be an issue? If so, I would suggest spending a bit more and getting something you know will seal.

Philip
Old 30-10-2017, 09:42 AM
brian nordstrom (As avatar)

Bunning's cases , a lot of us here have these.
1/4 the price of Pelican and 90% the quality.

Brian.
Old 30-10-2017, 11:35 AM
astro744

How much is you equipment worth compared to the cost of the case?

Storm is an alternative to Pelican but similar price. Pelican must have taken them over and they are now available as Pelican-Storm and still available. I prefer these as the locks are easier on the fingers especially in cold weather and also the hinge is full length and not just at two or three points. Pelican do have an ultra lightweight case now in various sizes but more cost again. Most sizes available as empty case, pluck foam filled case or divider case. An empty case is only good if you're replacing the outside shell or are providing your own custom filling.

There are a number of suppliers including Bags to Go although they only show Pelican on their web site but my local store carries Pelican-Storm as floor stock and can order in any size. Just search Pelican-Storm in Australia and you'll find other suppliers.
Old 30-10-2017, 01:15 PM
TareqPhoto (Tareq)

Hi all,

I ordered a case that i feel it is slightly lower price than Pelican, the description showing it as a copycat of Pelican, but who knows what is the truth about quality or specifications?!!!

The size i chose is likely good enough, also can't be sure if what is described will be as i will get, if so then it will be a good case to get, i checked similar size from Pelican and it was over priced a lot, but even if it is slightly cheaper, the shipping is another story, so the one i bought as total price is good enough, if it will meet my expectations then i will be a happy camper and i will buy more.

Now, time to look for eyepieces case, still have only 3 small cheap plossl eyepieces, i know in the future i will add more, but i will try to keep it at around 4-5 eyepieces only as i am not a visual addiction guy, so i won't go with some people who are getting 10-30 or even more eyepieces, also with 2 Barlow and adapters, the problem is i can't decide on any case until i know the total weight and sizes of those items, so i won't be in rush, next year i can think about it, but for now i am waiting this hard case i ordered for my current and future Astro cameras.
Old 30-10-2017, 01:20 PM
sharkbite
Look up!

I have both a craftright from jaycar and a king chrome from bunnings.

both are just as good as the more expensive brands.

The Yellow plastic seems to be a bit 'softer' so might survive
a drop a bit better. (if you can stand the stares as you walk through customs with it)

BTW there is a large Pelican case for sale in the IIS classifieds...

And i just realised - Bunnings and Jaycar don't have stores in UAE! so fat lot of good my advice is to the OP. (sorry mate)

Last edited by sharkbite; 31-10-2017 at 12:54 PM.
Old 30-10-2017, 02:09 PM
acropolite (Phil)

+ 1 for Bunnings cases, I have several, never had a problem. The only issues with Bunnings cases is availability, often they get a batch in and once gone they're unavailable.
Old 30-10-2017, 04:54 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

I don’t know whether it pertains to any of this particular cases but I have seen instances of what I imagine to be the foam outgassing and damaging optics in cheaper products. It was mostly in regards to camera lens’ and eye pieces so smaller hard cases.
Admittedly I haven’t seen it happen in Australia but as most of these come from China anyway there is a lot of brand cross over.

It’s one of the reasons I’ve always bought Pelican (and a couple of Storm cases), trust the quality of their products.
Old 30-10-2017, 06:22 PM
Wilso

Also another thing to watch out for is what you are storing in your case.

Usually keep my red light torch in my eyepiece case and went to use it one night. Wasn't working....
so opened it up, shock horror acid leaking from the battery.
No more alkaline batteries for me now only lithium all the way.
Hopefully they don't leak!!

I no longer keep batteries with my gear.
Old 31-10-2017, 06:47 AM
TareqPhoto (Tareq)

Bad news, the case i ordered the seller messaged/emailed me that it is out of stock, so i asked him either find a replacement with same quality and closer size inner i care more, or refund me so i can buy another case i saw, i have to wait long now, what a shame.

I really like Pelican cases, but the high prices preventing me to buy more, i may buy them again but not now in my bad situations, and i do have another brand hard cases which are as good or even better than Pelican, so i can't just focus on one brand name because they are the only high end quality, in fact i bought a Hasselblad camera very very expensive camera, and the store selling very high end items, and they don't sell Pelican as hard case but another brand, they told me it is same as Pelican quality or even better and the price are similar but slightly less, so i don't go with Pelican magic, and another store who are selling also respectful items they sell hard cases not from Pelican, so i can assume that Pelican is like a Rolls Royce or Rolex of hard cases, but they aren't the only high quality ones.
Old 01-11-2017, 07:12 AM
TareqPhoto (Tareq)

The problem is sorted out finally, they replace with another hard case with closer dimensions of the one that is out of the stock, not sure if this one is better size or the one that is out of stock, in all cases i have to accept it, so if you were in my shoes, which size would you go with?

1. 52cm x 29cm X 20cm

2. 50cm X 35cm X 19.4cm
Old 01-11-2017, 07:14 AM
TareqPhoto (Tareq)

Sorry that i couldn't go with any of your recommendation rather than Pelican, i couldn't find a good site to buy from, so i ordered from eBay after all, i will give this 3rd party a go and see how it will perform, not in same class as Pelican, but who knows, if it is good enough then that is all matter.
Old 02-11-2017, 08:17 PM
JimsShed (Jim)

I got a Kinchrome brand case. Top quality and much less expensive than Pelican. Just google Safe Cases. Also you’ll usually find that tool supply stores stock safe cases.
Old 13-11-2017, 03:10 AM
TareqPhoto (Tareq)

The hard case arrived and just today i got the delivery, no brand name on it.

I liked the design, and even the locks [or whatever you call it] are so smooth, no big sound or clap or impact as some of my other cases, this is a big plus for me, i can't talk about the material or the case quality, it sounds hard enough.

Now i have to decide which another hard case to get, i forgot about one item important which i ordered few days ago, and that will add room or space to the case too, so i have to decide on another case.

The item that i ordered is the filter wheel, and later in the future i will buy a camera for planetary, maybe 2, so assuming if i will go with 2 cameras then the hard case i've got is enough for 4 cameras with cables only, so should i do that and get another case for the filter wheel and adapters? or buy another hard case to be dedicated for my main camera of DSO which is QHY163M and the filter wheel with their cables or adapters and keep the one i have for the 2-3 cameras with their cables? i doubt i can fit them all togther in one case without having them mixed up or crowded.