Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Observational and Visual Astronomy

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 01-06-2009, 08:55 AM
ausastronomer (John Bambury)

BAM600 - John Bambury's Southern Skies Observing List

Hi all,

About three years ago I put together an observing list of 600 (Southern Skies) targets. This list was for the benefit of the Northern hemisphere observers who travel down here to observe. As 3RF volunteers we host these people on a regular basis. The list is limited to targets with a declination South of + 50 degrees. I have selected the brightest and IMO, the most visually interesting targets. However, a few of them will be tough in small scopes

The list includes targets from all categories. I have uploaded the file as a zipped Excel File. The Excel spreadsheet contains all the information you need to allow you to re sort the file however you like. By RA, Dec, Object Type, Magnitude, Surface Brightness etc. I also have the file as a text delimited file for uploading as a User defined catalogue to Argo Navis. If anyone doesn't know how to create the delimited text file and wants a copy for uploading to their unit, send me an email or PM and I will send it to you.

All I ask is that if you use the list or post any references to the list, you acknowledge the source. Many hours of work went into compiling it.

There are a couple of minor errors which eminated from the source data, but these do not affect the use of the list in any way.

Cheers,
John B

{EDIT BY ICEMAN}
This list and associated files have now been incorporate into the following article:
BAM600 - John Bambury's Southern Skies Observing List

Please use the article to download the files, as you can be sure it'll always be the latest version.

Last edited by iceman; 20-05-2011 at 03:49 PM.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:23 AM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Many thanks John.
Old 01-06-2009, 12:52 PM
ngcles
The Observologist

The Southern 600?

Hi John,

Thanks for posting your wonderful list. I guess if you could see all these in say a 12-14" 'scope, you would be entitled to call yourself an experienced observer -- and now a thought occurs to me.

Perhaps this should be seen as a southern observer's equivalent to the Herschel 400? I wonder if there is a way we can (like the Herschel 400 or the Herschel 800) organise perhaps through IIS or elsewhere a certificate for completing (you have to submit observing notes for verification) a list like this.

Perhaps with just a few small modifications (additions and subtractions), it could be bought down to a 10" level (several are a very, very tough ask in 10" -- if not impossible like the Reticulum Dwarf) which would allow an even larger number of people to participate.

Of all these in the list, I believe I'm only missing a few. A couple of the variables and the Dk nebula in Lupus SL-7. I'd never heard of that object before. I've just had a look on the DSS/Megastar and it is a striking object very worthy of inclusion. Will take a look at it next new moon if the weather allows (if ever).

Just a thought.

Thanks very much for putting it up.

Best,

Les D
Old 01-06-2009, 01:46 PM
mozzie (Peter)

thanks john im going to start the list and make some notes i may not get all of it with trees around me but it is going to be a great challenge
mozzie
Old 01-06-2009, 02:20 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngcles View Post

Perhaps this should be seen as a southern observer's equivalent to the Herschel 400? I wonder if there is a way we can (like the Herschel 400 or the Herschel 800) organise perhaps through IIS or elsewhere a certificate for completing (you have to submit observing notes for verification) a list like this.
I'm game! (if I live long enough............)
Old 01-06-2009, 02:42 PM
vaztr (Andrew)

Fantastic list John, I'll be testing out the 8" on as many of these as it can find!!!!

Just a quickie - I'm pretty much a noob and I don't get what some of the hedings mean

Headings from SB to Sub Type (inclusive) mean nothing to me any chance someone out there can give me a hand.

I've sorted the list by month then Vmag - so theoretically I sould be able to find the easy stuff first then progress to the limits of my scope/eyes before starting the next month.

I can't wait to start on the N Amerian Nebula today!
Old 01-06-2009, 03:06 PM
Liz

Thanks John ... thats GREAT!!!!!! .. and another list for me
Old 01-06-2009, 10:06 PM
Blue Skies (Jacquie)
It's about time

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaztr View Post
Headings from SB to Sub Type (inclusive) mean nothing to me any chance someone out there can give me a hand.
I can help with some of these:

SB is surface brightness, which is different to Vmag (Visual magnitude)

Max and Min - um, might have a guess and say it's angular size with Max being the longest axis and Min being the shortest.

PA is Position Angle. 0 is north, 90 is east and so on.

Sub Type is refering to a number of things. For Galaxies its telling you whether its just a Spiral, a barred Spiral, an eliptical or... other. I don't recognise all of them, it must a more modern version of the Hubble classification I'm not familiar with. For Globular Clusters (GC) its telling you how condensed it is - there is a classification system for globs that rates whether they are rather loose or very condensed. I don't know the Open cluster classes.

Then you've got the RA and Dec coords.

Hope that helps a little and I'll look forward to other peoples clarification on the classes in Sub Type.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:41 PM
wavelandscott (Scott)
Plays well with others!

Quote:
Hi John,

Thanks for posting your wonderful list. I guess if you could see all these in say a 12-14" 'scope, you would be entitled to call yourself an experienced observer -- and now a thought occurs to me.

Perhaps with just a few small modifications (additions and subtractions), it could be bought down to a 10" level (several are a very, very tough ask in 10" -- if not impossible like the Reticulum Dwarf) which would allow an even larger number of people to participate.

Of all these in the list, I believe I'm only missing a few. A couple of the variables and the Dk nebula in Lupus SL-7. I'd never heard of that object before. I've just had a look on the DSS/Megastar and it is a striking object very worthy of inclusion. Will take a look at it next new moon if the weather allows (if ever).

Just a thought.

Best,

Les D
I'm game...now just to give it a catchy name...

ausastronomer 600
John B 600

On a more serious note, John, is it okay to share this list with others? With attribution of course...how would you like it to be acknowledged/credited?
Old 02-06-2009, 03:45 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

The Bambo 600!

I reckon it's a great idea!
Old 02-06-2009, 04:59 AM
koputai (Jason)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman View Post
The Bambo 600!
But there's only 597!

Cheers,
Jason.
Old 02-06-2009, 05:58 AM
gmbfilter (Geoff)
Geoff

There's one in every crowd!
Quote:
Originally Posted by koputai View Post
But there's only 597!

Cheers,
Jason.
Old 02-06-2009, 07:16 AM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

Thanks for the list - I don't know how well I'd go since I'm relatively inexperienced and only have 4" of aperture to view with...but I'll peruse the list and see what I can do.

Dave
Old 02-06-2009, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Hi John,

Just a thought.

Best,

Les D
Hi Les and all,

Thanks for the positive feedback. I originally planned to submit the list to the Astronomical League. A large number of the visitors who come down here from the Northern Hemisphere set there observing program to the Astronomical Leagues' "Southern Skies Telescopic Club List", so that they can gain their AL certificate.

http://www.astroleague.org/al/obsclu...y/sskylist.htm

I proposed to submit this list to the Astronomical League as an "advanced" list for the repeat visitors. I haven't done that because the list needs more work on it to eliminate the errors and to be honest I lost some motivation a couple of years back to keep working on it, due to lack of time. There are some minor errors in terms of target position and magnitude etc which take a lot of time to check. I had checked the first 69 targets and provided an active link to a file downloaded from Robert Erdmann's NGC/IC website, which provided observing notes and a DSS image of each target. That website has now gone, so I can't complete that part of the project. On top of that the list needs further checking which I haven't had time to do. There are a number of other "glowing" errors which would need to be fixed, although not major they would not be acceptable for Astronomical League purposes. For instance at line 455, The Lambda Centauri Cluster is listed as Collinder 249. This is incorrect, it should be IC 2944. As I understand it, Collinder 249 is associated with IC 2944, but not part of it. At line 557 I have listed IC 2944 and called it "The Lambda Centauri Cluster" and identified it as a bright nebula. It should be IC 2948 and named as "the Lambda Centauri Nebula" or the "Running Chicken Nebula". Whilst the naming of this associated target area is possibly the most confusing in the entire sky, it should still be sorted out. I am sure there are some other similar errors and duplications, which would need to be checked and corrected.

I would be happy to have Mike post the list on IIS and call it "Bambos 600" and issue an IIS certificate to those that complete it. Computer GOTO should be allowed as its part of modern observing equipment IMO.

As time goes on I will sort out the errors and add a couple of additional targets in place of any duplications. There are certainly enough targets there at present, that are correct, to keep most people busy for the next couple of years, without worrying about half a dozen minor errors.

If anyone does identify any errors I would be happy for them to pass these on to me.

In terms of editing the list to create a target list for smaller scopes. There are a couple of ways to attack this.

eg. One could edit the list and eliminate the difficult targets, but difficulty often can be as much condition dependant, as scope dependant. Another option may be to award say a 'Bambos 600 4" certificate' for observing 400 of the targets on the list in a 4" or smaller telescope and a 'Bambos 600 10" certificate" for observing 500 of the targets on the list in a 10" or smaller telescope. This gives the observer a little more flexibility based on their conditions.

Any feedback is welcome.

Cheers,
John B
Old 02-06-2009, 11:07 AM
telecasterguru (Frank)
Have scope will travel!

John,
Thank you for the list and all the work that has obviously gone into developing it.
I think it is going to take a while to get all 600 images especially with my 127 Refractor.

Regards

Frank
Old 02-06-2009, 02:39 PM
xnomad

I love it!
A list where I can quickly filter objects by magnitude, type and best time to view. Great work! Many thanks for posting this.
Old 03-06-2009, 07:45 PM
mozzie (Peter)

printed my and when the weather clears start the list looking forward ill let you's know how it goes
mozzie
Old 03-06-2009, 10:59 PM
Paul Hatchman

Thanks John!

Please see attached for the list which I've converted to an Argo Navis user catalog. The easiest way to use this with an AN would be to do
Mode->Tour
Find->User Object
And then put in any other tour parameters, e.g. faintest mag etc.

I haven't had a chance to test this yet, but it looks like it should work. If anyone can try it, please let me know how it goes.

Edited to Add: I didn't read your post properly the first time. I see you already have an AN user catalogue. Well, it's already done now, may as well share it

Cheers,

Paul.

AN Catalog removed so that John can publish his own.

Last edited by Paul Hatchman; 05-06-2009 at 08:59 AM. Reason: Removed Attachment
Old 03-06-2009, 11:23 PM

Hi Paul,

I am actually in the process of correcting some of those errors, which includes a couple of duplications. I am also adding a couple more targets to round it out to 600. I have also re labelled all of the Messier targets to show the M designation and not their NGC descriptor. When I am finished the list will be a little bit tidier and more accurate. I was going to wait until I have finished making those corrections before uploading the argo navis user catalogue. This will be another day or two. Certainly long before the moon gets out of the way again.

Cheers,
John B
Old 04-06-2009, 08:55 AM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Thanks John, looking forward to the updated spreadsheet and an Argo Navis upload file.

Eric