Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 13-02-2019, 08:07 AM
vaxvax (Peter)

Celestron Focuser – Focus Motor For EDGEHD and SCT

Hi all,

I was looking at purchasing the new Celestron Focuser – Focus Motor For EDGEHD and SCT. However I ran into a problem, it was incompatible for SCTs produced before 2006.

After lots of emails back and forth to Celestron I found that there is a new model of the Focuser due for release in the middle of this year. This new model is supposed to fit most of the SCTs from Celestron.

So if you were thinking of buying a focuser for your Celestron then it might be worthwhile to wait for the new model to be released later in the year.

Regards

Peter
Old 23-02-2019, 09:25 AM
The_bluester (Paul)

I am not sure we are going to get a choice in the matter. They seem to be on back order everywhere with some indication Celestron might have pulled them for a redesign to fit on the 7.25 Edge HD in particular.

If Celestron have a museum in the office it does not seem that they used it to trial fit the focus motor to even the full current lineup. It is painful, I was hoping to get one for my (Non edge HD) C925. I might have to spend triple the amount and buy the Starizona focus motor that is designed for my current Feathertouch microfocus assembly.

Last edited by The_bluester; 23-02-2019 at 09:46 AM.
Old 18-03-2019, 12:58 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

Well, looks like Don was misled, they have just come back into stock so I ordered one today as if the last time is any guide they will sell out again quickly, unless they shipped them a hundred this time.

I also just ordered an 11" RASA retrofit kit which is the focus knob (The threaded brass bit on the inside) and bearing assembly to remove the Feathertouch the 11" RASA comes with standard now for a standard one speed one to allow fitment of the focus motor to those scopes. Had to get that fromt he states though I missed a step and selected the slower freight method, hopefully I get both bits before the next new moon.

Then to decide if I sell the Feathertouch or not. I don't have a Celestron mount (Which allows focus control via the hand controller) but if I can get or make a stand alone hand controller to drive the stepper motor for visual use then the Feathertouch becomes a bit redundant.
Old 19-03-2019, 11:31 AM
UniPol
I Prefer Refractors

You can have the focus assembly taken off my 11" RASA Paul. It was one of the original RASA's fitted with the single speed focuser and I fitted the micro pinion later. I recall that the black screw from your focuser can be re-used which is the only part not in my left overs. Send me your details and I'll send it off to you. Cheers, Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Celestron Pinion.jpg)
192.0 KB11 views
Old 19-03-2019, 11:48 AM
The_bluester (Paul)

Damn, I ordered one from OS already!

Happy to buy it off your for spares though if you like?

If I sell the Feathertouch and wanted to go back to manual focus if for instance I get another OTA to use the motor with I will still be missing the rubber grip. As a retrofit to put the focus motor on an 11" RASA (I believe they come with a Feathertouch from new now) they only supply the bearing/nut and the rubber stopper.
Old 21-03-2019, 02:44 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

The focuser showed up today so there is step one. Now to hope that the 11” RASA focuser is compatible. With any luck the one I bought off UniPol in addition to the RASA retrofit kit from the states arrives tomorrow and I will know for sure.

The motor itself seems fairly solid. It has plastic covers but the main housing is cast alloy and it seems decently weighty for its size.