Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Observational and Visual Astronomy > Observation Reports

Old 03-12-2013, 08:48 PM
Paddy (Patrick)
Canis Minor

some galaxies in constellations beginning with "P"

Precious little chance to observe recently, and not much to sit down and type up these notes from 2 months ago!

3 & 5/10/2013

Telescope 400mm f4.9 tri-dob reflector
Eyepieces 28mm UWAN, 17 Ethos ,13,9 mm Naglers, Paracorr
Navigation: Uranometria

p= preceding
f= following

2200 Seeing good, transparency fair

NGC 7690 GX in Phoenix
250x 2’x1’ Np-Sf oval glow with extended central brightness in faint halo

NGC 7689 GX in Phoenix
250x 3’x2’ Np-Sf smooth oval glow, no marked central brightness.

NGC 625 GX in Phoenix
250x 4’x2’ impressive p-f oval, mottled with extended bright area to f side of centre

5/10/2013

2100 Seeing poor, transparency good

NGC 6752 GC in Pavo
135x 12’ dia. Such a beautiful GC, many resolved stars, quite a marked central core but with numerous arcs of stars splayed out. A large pair of counter arcs to f side and other shorter arcs and lines give the impressive of a giant stellar spider.

NGC 6769/70/71 GX in Pavo
175x These 3 faintish galaxies form a triangle with the 5’ base made by 1769 & 1770. 1769 is the brightest of the group and has a distinct central brightness in its 1.5’ halo. 1770 is similar in shape but a bit fainter and perhaps smaller. 1771 is a Np-Sf 2’ long edge on glow with central brightening.

IC 4842 GX Pavo
175x 14’ Sf of NGC 1770 this is a 2’x1’ Sp-Nf oval glow with a foreground star over the Sp pole and stellar brightness at the centre – unclear whether this could be another foreground star.

NGC 6782 GX Pavo
175x 2’x1’ N-S oval glow with extended bright centre.

NGC 7020 GX in Pavo
175x 3’x1’ Np-Sf glow with marked central brightening which at first glance appears closer to the N end of the GX. Closer observation reveals that this is because the N half of the galaxy is fainter. Two nearby bright stars need to be excluded from the FOV for good view of the galaxy.

I then spend quite a bit of time lost in Pegasus Galaxy cluster I finishing the session with

NGC 7814 GX in Pegasus
175x 5’x3’ Np-Sf oval bright glow, but with no central brightness or features to report.
Old 19-12-2013, 01:14 PM
Suzy
Searching for Travolta...

Great report Paddy, many thanks for sharing.

NGC 6752 in Pavo is an absolutely gorgeous GC for sure.
In my report I had, " One of the prettiest GC's I've seen! Very bright, granulated, bright core and bright stars sprayed out. Good size. Bright (mag 6?) star to the right. Heavier concentration N of GC, S of GC are two trails of stars. Elongated south. 120x."
It pretty much matches your report- and I observed it thru light pollution. Definitely has become one of my favourites.

I'll have to see if any galaxies on your list are within reach for me. I did try NGC 6744 GX in Pavo (not on your list) a couple of times but failed and I think that was one of the brighter ones in that area.
Old 23-12-2013, 08:19 PM
Paddy (Patrick)
Canis Minor

Thanks Suzie. NGC 6744 is a a bit of a challenge for light polluted skies as it's face on. I think all of the others would also like a dark sky.

Here's hoping for some clear skies in the next few days!