Old 04-03-2019, 05:35 PM
Granada
The truth is out there

Smudge on images

I've got a Canon 80D camera, and keep seeing a round smudge in all my images. At first I thought it was something on the lens so I wiped it carefully, but that didn't work. I tried a different lens but the smudge was still there which led me to believe it's a camera issue. I've attached two photos taken with 18-55mm and prime lenses. Any ideas what it is and how to get rid of it?

Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (18-55mm.JPG)
152.4 KB47 views
Click for full-size image (50mm prime.JPG)
105.8 KB43 views
Old 04-03-2019, 06:05 PM
raymo

Its on the camera's sensor. The 80D, being a mid range model, will have a sensor cleaning function.
raymo
Old 04-03-2019, 06:09 PM
glend (Glen)

There are numerous sensor cleaning kits available.

https://www.digitalcamerawarehouse.c...ts-accessories
Old 04-03-2019, 06:13 PM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)
Feel free to edit my imag

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymo View Post
Its on the camera's sensor. The 80D, being a mid range model, will have a sensor cleaning function.
raymo
which will only remove dust
Old 04-03-2019, 07:33 PM
Granada
The truth is out there

Thanks all. The camera does self-clean every time it's turned on or off, and I've performed the clean manually as well, but to no avail.

I don't believe I've ever touched the camera inside so it's unlikely it's a fingerprint, so I'm wondering whether it's something mechanical or more sinister than a speck of dust?
Old 04-03-2019, 07:47 PM
leon

Get yourself a decent Lens pen 13mm is good, and put your camera on sensor clean and give it a good wipe from side to side and then up and down and around.

It works a treat, been doing this to my Canon 5D forever, the sensor filter in front of the sensor is very tough and you will not damage it.

Don't be afraid of it, it will be all good, Canon just tells everyone not to touch the sensor and in fact it is a load of crap, they are just covering their, you know what

Leon
Old 04-03-2019, 08:19 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Try taking a couple of flat frames which should help if you cant clean things up.
Alex
Old 05-03-2019, 10:14 AM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granada View Post
Thanks all. The camera does self-clean every time it's turned on or off, and I've performed the clean manually as well, but to no avail.

I don't believe I've ever touched the camera inside so it's unlikely it's a fingerprint, so I'm wondering whether it's something mechanical or more sinister than a speck of dust?
its definitely dust, or airborne grit, either on the sensor or rear element of your lens (people only look at the front it seems). Plus it may be too small to be seen visibly so clean properly and carefully. But its there, in the same spot not moving therefore its dust. belief has nothing to do with it, its there.
Old 06-03-2019, 07:56 AM
Granada
The truth is out there

Quote:
Originally Posted by leon View Post
Get yourself a decent Lens pen 13mm is good, and put your camera on sensor clean and give it a good wipe from side to side and then up and down and around.

It works a treat, been doing this to my Canon 5D forever, the sensor filter in front of the sensor is very tough and you will not damage it.

Don't be afraid of it, it will be all good, Canon just tells everyone not to touch the sensor and in fact it is a load of crap, they are just covering their, you know what

Leon

Thanks, I'll try that