Old 16-04-2017, 01:39 PM
doppler (Rick)

The Dr is back

Just a heads up for Dr Who fans, the pilot episode of the new series is screening tonight on ABC 1.

Came across this while checking out the BBC website, http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/faqs/FAQ71 , apparently they still have to have TV licenses there. Hope Australia doesn't end up going the same way, back to the dark ages of the 60's.
Old 16-04-2017, 09:00 PM
cometcatcher (Kevin)
<--- Comet Hale-Bopp

Thanks for the heads up Rick. I was wondering when it would be back.
Old 17-04-2017, 01:06 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

Every time I see TV licensing stuff for the UK I can only think "How quaint"

I better chase it down to watch.
Old 18-04-2017, 04:25 PM
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

Loved it, best episode of this new (ish) Doctor yet imo.
My whole family including all 3 boys aged 8, 11 & 13 were riveted to the tele, slightly terrified and thrilled by it all - nice one
Old 18-04-2017, 05:49 PM
pfitzgerald (Paul)

+1 Thoroughly enjoyed it.
Old 19-04-2017, 10:42 AM
The_bluester (Paul)

Same here. I thought for the last couple of seasons that the had the Dr and the companion trying to play the same personality and it just did not work.
Old 19-04-2017, 05:07 PM
Regulus (Trevor)
Regulus - Couer de Leon

I'm enjoying Mr Capaldi's Dr. It's nice to have a mature Dr again (Jon Pertweeish), instead of adolescents. But this is his last season!
I had hoped he'd do more, because his character has developed wonderfully across his term in the TARDIS.
It seems that they get it on their resume and move on. At least David Tennant stuck around for a while.
They talked of a black female Dr next, but dropped the idea as to much of a risk! Come oooon! I'd love to see that, and with a young male companion? The scripts and characters would be something totally new in the Whoniverse.
My current Who fix has been doing the Soundscape and SFX on a Dr themed radio play. We have the first female Dr, and in fact the second, since ours has just regenerated. Time consuming, but what's time when you have a TARDIS. Well, it's timey-wimey is what it is. And who notices that passing :-)
Trev

Last edited by Regulus; 20-04-2017 at 03:53 PM.
Old 19-04-2017, 05:22 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

Actually you have reminded me. I thought a number of times watching this episode that he was reminding me an awful lot of John Pertwee (No bad thing IMO)

I wonder if it is deliberate.
Old 20-04-2017, 03:45 PM
Regulus (Trevor)
Regulus - Couer de Leon

Paul

It must be a hard gig. You have to create the character and lend him a whole new look and feel. And I don't see how you cannot be influenced by your earliest Dr experiences. He's certainly of an age to have been part of the Pertwee generation. Whereas both Matt Smith and David Tennant seem to have opted for a variation on Tom Baker, who was the most outgoing and frivolous of the earlier years Drs. I started with the 2nd Dr, Patrick Troughton's bumbling and forgetful Dr, who I enjoyed. Jon Pertwee was all business, with a hint of mischievousness, or cheekiness. And although he was only there for 4 or 5 seasons, he is the one I remember most. .
I just wonder how much input the writers have into the final character. I imagine they give a general guideline of the kind of person he is, and the actor takes it from there. Which is characterised by the mad hunt through the wardrobe with each new incarnation.
My greatest Dr Who experience was going to the cinema in the late 60's to see Ben Hur (I think) and the first flick was unannounced and turned out to be The Dalek Invasion of Earth (Pertwee). Loved it. [Those were the days. 2 movies with an intermission. But with Ben Hur, it made a long afternoon of cinema. Not complaining though :-) ]

It's always interesting to watch how they 'get into the role' in that first episode. And how the old companion deals with it.
I thought Clara was a brilliant companion, perhaps my all time favourite. And the way she sloooowly warmed to this old man after her fun filled Dr, was fun to watch.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Who

Trev
Old 20-04-2017, 04:54 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

You and I go against the tide a bit I think. I liked Clara as well, just I thought that they sort of ended up evolving the two characters to behave too similarly by the end.

You have caught what reminded me of John Pertwee's Dr and described it better then I would have thought of. Serious and business but with camera angle and pose there was sometimes that air of mischief about him. Hopefully not a one off.
Old 24-04-2017, 07:06 AM
doppler (Rick)

Another enjoyable episode last night. Not sure what to make of the after party on ABC2 though.
Old 25-04-2017, 06:37 PM
tim.anderson (Tim Anderson)

Brisbane Joke on Dr Who

Owing to family, I have a remote connection to Janet Mahoney, a distinguished Shakespearean actor who also played the role of Tegan as the Doctor's assistant in the early days of the show.

In any case, she was responsible for the only known Queensland joke in the history of Doctor Who.

One of the Doctor's sidekicks has had an unfortunate encounter with a Dalek and is laid out on a slab in the Tardis.

Doctor Who: "We need to get him to a neutral environment."

Tegan (looking at the Doctor with a quizzical expression): "What? Brisbane?"
Old 29-04-2017, 12:37 PM
Ric
Support your local RFS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim.anderson View Post
Owing to family, I have a remote connection to Janet Mahoney, a distinguished Shakespearean actor who also played the role of Tegan as the Doctor's assistant in the early days of the show.

In any case, she was responsible for the only known Queensland joke in the history of Doctor Who.

One of the Doctor's sidekicks has had an unfortunate encounter with a Dalek and is laid out on a slab in the Tardis.

Doctor Who: "We need to get him to a neutral environment."

Tegan (looking at the Doctor with a quizzical expression): "What? Brisbane?"
Classic
Old 03-07-2017, 08:49 AM
Bart
Don't have a cow, Man!

Have really enjoyed some of the episodes for this season. Last nights season finale was pretty good.

Some good clues to the next Doctor? "I don't want to go!" and "I don't want to be somebody new" I think it was (will watch it again).

The Christmas Special looks like it might be ok as well.
Old 03-07-2017, 08:04 PM
doppler (Rick)

Yep, some enjoyable stuff. I hope they don't do a Captain Jack on Nardole and leave him stranded for a hundred years or so. Loved the end where another companion becomes immortal and heads of through time and space.
Old 17-07-2017, 11:10 AM
billdan (Bill)

Heads Up - Female Doctor Who announced

BBC announced last night after Wimbledon, that Jodie Whittaker is the new Dr Who.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-07-1...doctor/8713964

Cheers
Bill
Old 17-07-2017, 11:26 AM
dimithri86 (Dimithri)

Heads up for you folk with Netflix, you can watch post 2005 episodes on it!