Old 16-01-2011, 02:13 PM
TrevorW

Stacking binned/unbinned data

Binned 2x2 reduces the image size to 1/2 normal

what is the best method for combining binned and unbinned data

Last edited by TrevorW; 16-01-2011 at 02:38 PM.
Old 16-01-2011, 02:24 PM
OzRob (Rob)

If it is RGB binned at 2x2 and lum at 1x1 I stack them separately and bring them into PS after aligning them. I then increase the size of the RGB image to match the lum data and then paste the lum over the RGB and change the blend mode to luminousity. However, if you are interested in stacking different binning between your RBG frames (for example) I don't know.
Old 16-01-2011, 10:13 PM
TrevorW

It's RGB binned 2X2 however seems to remove colour reduces size to half normal with RGB binned 1x1
Old 17-01-2011, 09:19 AM
marki
Waiting for next electron

CCDStack and registar do it automatically.

Mark
Old 17-01-2011, 09:49 AM
Geoff45 (Geoff)
PI rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by marki View Post
CCDStack and registar do it automatically.

Mark
That's the way I usually do it, although I prefer to do the LRGB composite in Photoshop.

Workflow is to align R, G, B to L. CCDStack then rescales to the largest image, in this case the L. Make an RGB composite in CCDStack (which remains scaled to L). Take the separate L and RGB into PS and combine. The reason I prefer this is that in PS you still have separate colour and luminosity layers, so you can tweak them individually. CCDStack's LRGB combine doesn't seem to allow this, but I may be wrong.
Geoff
Old 17-01-2011, 11:16 PM
marki
Waiting for next electron

Geoff there is a lot you can do to individual channels before you stack them (Adam Block has an excellent DVD outlining this) but you are limited once you have assembled the image. I tend to assemble the colours in CCDStack and align it with the lum which I then take into photoshop to do the final stacking. I dont like the way CCDStack adds the lum channel and you are too restricted after that.

Cheers

Mark
Old 17-01-2011, 11:40 PM
Tandum (Robin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorW View Post
It's RGB binned 2X2 however seems to remove colour reduces size to half normal with RGB binned 1x1
Trevor, the only One Shot Colour camera I know of that can do colour binned images is the starlight M26C and then only with nebulosity or the starlight software. All other OSC cameras I know of produce grey scale images when binned.
Old 20-01-2011, 12:45 AM
TrevorW

I tried the trial version of CCDStack but it will not align the frames even trying three of the alingment methods I ended up with a fuzzy stacked image

As a stop gap I resized the binned 2 x 2 in Maxim then combined the lot in DSS and everything aligned perfectly although this is probably not the best method of combining the data
Old 25-01-2011, 01:51 PM
OzRob (Rob)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorW View Post
I tried the trial version of CCDStack but it will not align the frames even trying three of the alingment methods I ended up with a fuzzy stacked image

As a stop gap I resized the binned 2 x 2 in Maxim then combined the lot in DSS and everything aligned perfectly although this is probably not the best method of combining the data
You should be able to align them in CCDStack as I have done so. Although is was L to RGB that I have aligned. You may need to manually select the alignment stars. Before stacking them do a blink to make sure that they have been aligned properly. You can do that during the alignment process before you 'apply to all'.