ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Software and Computers
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 31-01-2021, 01:57 PM
leon

Can Xp Be to old to download certain software

Hi Guys,

Just a question please. Can Win XP be to old a OS to be able to install certain virus software.

I can download it OK, but when i want to open it to install it tells me this:

C:\Documents and Settings\Leon\My Documents\Downloads\avg_vpn_online_ setup.exe is not a valid Win 32 application.

So what dose this actually mean please, and how may i get around this other than asking for my money back, thank you.

Leon

Old 31-01-2021, 02:07 PM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

it means the download you did is not valid as far as I can tell
Either that or Win XP is incapable of understanding the software as it may be too new
Why are you buying anti virus? there are free versions that are cheaper including avg
Old 31-01-2021, 02:12 PM
leon

Yea i know Nik I did make a error in judgment on this occasion.

I needed some security on the Lappy which has none actually and downloaded AVG the latest free one, then they got me in, and suggested other stuff, and i thought maybe that was a good idea, but obviously it wasn't.

And now it doesn't work anyway and i have probably done my dollars

Ah Well, Leon
Old 31-01-2021, 03:45 PM
chromus (Phil)

You may have downloaded the 64bit version of the application rather than the 32bit version.

Seriously if you are still on 32bit you need to upgrade you are vulnerable to more than basic virus issues.
Old 31-01-2021, 04:00 PM
astro744

Anti-virus software from AVG, Avast and probably others will only run on Windows XP if Windows XP has SP3 installed. If you don’t have SP3 you will have to source it manually searching online as it is no longer available from Windows Update.

Now in your case the error suggests you tried to run a non 32bit application, probably 64 bit version.

Check the following:
1. Do you have 32bit or 64 bit windows installed, (control panel system information). I’d say yours is 32bit. It will also tell you if you have SP3.
2. Download the correct version of AVG or download the AVG installer and let it choose the correct version. If you don’t have SP3 installed it simply won’t run.

I would normally suggest downloading the software on another computer and copy it over so you don’t expose your XP machine to the Web but if you go down the AVG installer path then you have no choice and as long as you only visit their site and get the anti-virus up and running it should be fine.

If your machine is capable of Windows XP 64 bit then I would recommend installing it first but again you must get SP3.
Old 31-01-2021, 05:23 PM
leon

Thanks to all, will see what i can come up with.

Leon
Old 31-01-2021, 05:26 PM
leon

Phil, I am happy with my XP machine, it serves me well most times, I dont wish to upgrade, and mainly use my desktop.
Thank You however for you suggestions.

Leon
Old 31-01-2021, 06:26 PM
astro744

Of course only change to 64bit Windows if you can get 64bit drivers for any hardware you have. If you have Windows already installed and it is 32bit, leave it, just get SP3 and you can then install the 32bit version of AVG or Avast (the two I looked at recently in a similar situation to you).
Old 31-01-2021, 06:56 PM
leon

Thank you astro,

Leon
Old 31-01-2021, 08:28 PM
astro744

No worries, Leon. Some older mainboards don’t even support 64bit and Windows will tell you if you try and install the wrong version. You can download software that checks your hardware compatibility from Microsoft or third party vendors before you commit to a clean install. Most is free.

I resurrected my old 32bit Windows XP notebook to use with a Software Defined Radio I haven’t bought yet. I loaded the SDR software and it works fine on Pentium 4, 3.4GHz with 2GB RAM on a Windows XP SP3, 32bit. I just need the SDR hardware now. If you computer does for you what you need it to do then no need to mess around with changing Windows.
Old 01-02-2021, 01:48 PM
leon

Thanks Astro, yea all good mate, I am happy with what i do with my dinosaur computers as some call them. all is good most of the time.

You should see my Mobile Phone, it is ready for the museum, but it dose exactly what i want, none of this smart phone stuff, no apps, no internet connection, cant update, as it's to old, and no social media, just an occasional text and phone call, how simple is that and i love it that way.

Leon
Old 02-02-2021, 12:28 AM
RAJAH235
A very 'Senior' member.

Hi Leon,
You may want to take a squiz at this thread on the AVAST Support fora...

> https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=220639.0

It's rather long & drawn out but does have a lot of relevant info.

The same applies to AVG, coz AVAST now owns it as well.

Last edited by RAJAH235; 02-02-2021 at 12:39 AM.
Old 02-02-2021, 03:00 PM
leon

Thanks Rajah, I certainly will, however i have contacted the support team at AVG and a refund is on the way, they actually provided excellent service and nothing was an issue.

Leon
Old 02-02-2021, 03:42 PM
astro744

The free version is all you need to test and run on Windows XP SP3.

See https://www.avast.com/windows-xp-antivirus

Or

https://www.avg.com/en-au/windows-xp-antivirus#ios

You need Windows XP SP3 for either version and the correct bit version (32 or 64).

You still get virus definitions updated, you just don’t get new features found in versions for newer computers.
Old 02-02-2021, 11:11 PM
RAJAH235
A very 'Senior' member.

Hi Leon,
You never mentioned if you already have Service Pack 3 installed on you XP M/C.
Here's where you can get it...
32 bit version...
> https://download.cnet.com/Microsoft-..._4-190061.html

There's also a Security Update for it...
> https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down....aspx?id=55460

Really not sure if either AVAST or AVG will support it anymore, 'cept for the virus defs.
Old 03-02-2021, 09:16 AM
AdamJL

Keep that XP machine off the internet. You're asking for trouble, otherwise.
Old 03-02-2021, 02:05 PM
leon

Thanks Rajah, yes, it dose have service pack 3.

And Adam, why would it be necessary to not use this XP Lappy on the internet, thanks.

Leon.
Old 04-02-2021, 12:35 PM
AdamJL

XP support died in 2014. Yes there were some fixes that popped up after for severe issues, but it's been an unsupported OS for 6 years. It doesn't support any modern security hardware.
Some people still run XP, though thankfully that number drops all the time. It's your data, but XP is a much easier target than 10 to attack.
A cursory check on the internet (not on your XP machine ) will show you the sheer number of voices calling for XP machines to stay offline, or preferably, be upgraded.

It's actually really bad advise to give someone to stick to Windows XP "if it ain't broke"... it is broke. The internet has evolved, the threats have evolved and I wouldn't recommend you drive your pushbike on the Autobahn either.
Old 04-02-2021, 10:37 PM
Sitt (Simon)

I agree, get shot of Windows XP sharpish you're asking for trouble as it was a terrible operating system and the last thing you want is for it to crash in the middle of an imaging session
Old 05-02-2021, 09:13 AM
leon

Ok, I understand that XP may not be able to support any modern security hardware, I did find that out, and AVG have given me a full refund in a matter of days, and it is in the bank, so all is good in that area

My XP Laptop is my second machine and is only pulled out occasionally, i use it for some programs that are still on it which i lost when mt Desktop crashed some time ago.

It has actually no data on it at all, not even a image or a document or anything for that matter, and as said i use it for other purposes, and it works just fine

It works for me and I have no intention of getting rid of it or not using it for what i want to do.

My needs are simple and i don't do any of that stuff that you young guys do, on the internet other than being on IIS occasionally.

I'm Happy