Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Old 29-09-2013, 05:47 PM
Spookyer (Brett)
Brett P

Please check my logic in using a field flattener reducer

Hi all, I have the WO .8 field flattener reducer for my WO FLT132 scope.
I am using a full frame Nikon DSLR with it. This scope at 925mm focal length and the full frame sensor gives me a large field of view.

Using the flattener certainly improves the field flatness and makes a noticeable difference to the outer half of the image. It does however make my field of view even larger.

My thinking is this, if I am targeting an object that is large and goes close to filling my frame then I should use my field flattener reducer. I get to fit a bit more in and I get round stars to near the edge of my image. A win win.

However if I am targeting an object that is small and takes up say less than half of the frame then I am better off not using the reducer as I don't want to make the object even smaller and by cropping the image as I would for framing anyway I am getting rid of the field warping around the outer areas of the frame. So in this case by not using the flattener/reducer I am maximising the size of my subject and not suffering from field curvature in the final image anyway.

I hope I explained this clearly. Is my thinking correct on this? As a bit of a newbie I just wanted to check with some wiser heads.

thanks
Brett
Old 29-09-2013, 06:06 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

The flattener is also a reducer. If you image the central area of your corrected field without the reducer it won't look as good as a crop of the same fov with the corrector on. So the answer would be no. Keep the flattener on.
Old 29-09-2013, 06:49 PM
acropolite (Phil)

If by chance you have a second crop sensor body, (doesn't everyone??) that will give a smaller FOV without removing the reducer.
Old 29-09-2013, 07:40 PM
Bassnut (Fred)
Narrowfield rules!

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
The flattener is also a reducer. If you image the central area of your corrected field without the reducer it won't look as good as a crop of the same fov with the corrector on. So the answer would be no. Keep the flattener on.
But that cripples the image scale and you get a blocky pic?
Anyway, anything that widenes the FOV is evil by definition.
Old 30-09-2013, 08:34 AM
gregbradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post

Is that optically possible or is that another WO marketing hype claim?

I know the Astrophysics 155TCC is a reducer and I think its a fairly flat field although I have not tested it in CCD Inspector. Usually they are 2 different accessories.

I suspect marketing BS especially from WO who had no qualms claiming fluorite lenses when they were ED glass (which has a lot of fluorite in it).

Generally you use a reducer to get a wider FOV and also a faster F ratio meaning faster exposures due to more light coming from the wider FOV.

With full frame it takes a pretty high end reducer to give round stars to the corners. Usually a flattener is needed and it tends to be one or the other. If your use of it shows round stars to the corners and CCD Inspector shows a flatter field I'll stand corrected.

A wider FOV is handy for extended objects and a higher F ratio is handy for getting a bright exposure quickly. So the answer is it depends on the imaging target.

Have a look at Marcus Davies' images. He uses a flattener for regular targets, a reducer for wider extended objects and an extender to capture some galaxies/smaller objects. That's with a Tak TOA150.

Objects like the Large and Small Magellanic Clouds, Orion, Vela Supernova Remnant, Pleiades, Rosette, Eta Carina all are going to look nicer generally speaking with a wider FOV and faster F ratio to get extra depth.

Objects like NGC253 (Sculptor Galaxy), M83, Centaurus A, The Running Man Neb, perhaps the Horsehead require a bit more focal length so the reducer would not be used. In that case you would need a dedicated flattener as your scope may not give round stars to the corners on a full frame sensor - in fact it almost certainly will not. Virtually no scope does without a flattener/corrector of some type.

Often a flattener slightly extends the focal length by a small margin as with Astrophysics dedicated flatteners.

Greg.
Old 30-09-2013, 08:55 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
I had a P-FLAT IV. It went from x0.60 to x0.80 with an adjustable lens so yes you do get a noticeably wider field. Celestron SCT correctors sold by Teleskop.de also are tagged as x0.8 so again you get a wider field.
Old 30-09-2013, 12:59 PM
naskies (Dave)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post

I know the Astrophysics 155TCC is a reducer and I think its a fairly flat field although I have not tested it in CCD Inspector. Usually they are 2 different accessories.

I suspect marketing BS especially from WO who had no qualms claiming fluorite lenses when they were ED glass (which has a lot of fluorite in it).
Tak, ASA, TeleVue, and other brands that I think you'd consider reputable also sell combined reducer/flatteners. Even AP's CCDT67 and 27TVPH both have a (slight) flattening effect.

WO also sells a non-reducing flattener for the FLT-132, the PFLAT-68.
Old 30-09-2013, 07:44 PM
Spookyer (Brett)
Brett P

Well when I use the WO flattener reducer it certainly widens the field and it visibly makes the stars towards the edge of the frame much rounder (not always perfect though) so I don't think it is just marketing hype. I don't own CCD inspector in order to get a quantifiable effect.

Brett
Old 30-09-2013, 07:51 PM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

Perhaps get to know it better with the reducer in Brett. Bit more messing with flats and focus point when you change things around.

I would have thought your logic is sound, however for a 20% change in image scale it doesn't seem like worrying about too much. Nothing to stop an experiment at a later date though.

Last edited by RobF; 30-09-2013 at 09:29 PM.
Old 30-09-2013, 07:53 PM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Brett,

I can't remember if you're playing with PixInsight, but if you are there's a PSFEstimator script that allows you to map the FWHM and aspect ratio in your subs. That's effectively what CCDInspector does. PSFEstimator doesn't distill the info into a few magic numbers but all the same info is there...

Cheers,
Rick.