Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Old 22-10-2017, 11:41 AM
kittenshark (Cheryl-Ann Tan)

Exclamation Brisbane City Council LED street lights/light pollution call to action

Pasted from http://www.bas.asn.au/index.php/ligh...ight-pollution follow the link to get the URLs to the links in the page.

Quote:
Brisbane is one of the most light polluted regions in the Southern Hemisphere. Its effects do not stop at the city limits but impact on all of South East Queensland.

The city of Brisbane was named after the astronomer Sir Thomas Brisbane. However, were he alive today he would be appalled to see what his city has done to its evening sky.

Outdated roadway lighting systems and poor control of illumination levels and light placement have left Brisbane cloaked in a halo of light pollution that stretches for hundreds of kilometres beyond the city boundary.

Children living in Brisbane today may be taught about the wonder of our Milky Way Galaxy but never actually see the band of countless stars that pass overhead every night. This is a loss to us all.

However, if the right choices on new lighting technologies are made now by Brisbane City Council and Energex we may slow the advance of light pollution. Good lighting decisions may let a little more star light may enter our city and kindle imagination in our children as they look to the evening sky.

As Brisbane City Council and Energex transition our city to LED street lighting we ask that they protect our sky by adopting street lighting guidelines compiled by the International Dark Sky Association.

The Brisbane Astronomical Society is not a lone voice seeking a solution to the global problem of light pollution. While the International Dark-Sky Association drives the campaign in many countries, here in Australia we have multiple organisations supporting the cause:

Sydney Outdoor Lighting Improvement Society (SOLIS)
Astronomical Society of South Australia
Astronomical Society of New South Wales Inc.
Astronomical Society of Australia Inc.
Astronomical Society of Victoria
Australian Astronomical Observatory

A detailed paper presenting research into aspects of the human vision system and light pollution with particular reference to South East Queensland, is available here.

What can you do?

We suggest you send an email to each of the following individuals and let them know you care about our evening skies and want good decisions made regarding the deployment of LED street lighting in South East Queensland. Click below for their email addresses.

Queensland Minister for Environment and Heritage Protection
Lord Mayor - Brisbane City Council

Mayor - Gold Coast City Council
Mayor - Sunshine Coast Council

Mayor - Noosa Council

We suggest you also identify your local government Councillor and send the email to them too. Find Councillor email address details here: Brisbane Ipswich Logan Scenic Rim Gold Coast Moreton Bay Sunshine Coast Somerset Region Lockyer Valley Toowoomba Southern Downs Gympie Region South Burnett Region

When you insert your Councillor's email address you should also insert the email address for Councillor Amanda Cooper, who is the Chair of the BCC Infrastructure Committee: brackenridge.ward@bcc.qld.gov.au Councillor Cooper must be made aware of puplic concerns about LED street lighting. If she fails to receive complaint she will fail to act on the issue.

We also suggest you word your complaints as the views of resident of Brisbane rather than the views and concerns of an amateur astronomer. Amateur astronomy is viewed as a tiny special interest within the broader Brisbane community and can therefore be ignored. However, please also send astronomy-themed emails to your councillor too if you wish - the bigger the deluge of complaints the better.

We suggest the following Subject line in your email: Your Community Expects Good Decision-Making on LED Street Lighting.

We suggest you copy & paste, or adapt, the following text into the body of your email:

To the attention: XXXXXXX

In principle I support the transition to LED street lighting from the perspective of operating cost and greenhouse gas reduction. However, any rollout must also address the particular characteristics of LED street lights that can negatively impact resident’s quality of life, streetscape ambiance and road safety.

I request your engineers and decision-makers adopt the following recommendations when selecting LED luminaires for installation by your authority.

Recommendation 1: LED streetlight luminaires, for category V and P roadways and public spaces, must not exceed a correlated colour temperature of 3000K.

Recommendation 2: That LED street light luminaires selected for deployment be certified by the International Dark-Sky Association for a Fixture Seal of Approval to minimise the negative impact of inappropriate street lighting on residents and the night sky of South-East Queensland.

Recommendation 3: For Category V roadways LED luminaires must be of full cut-off design and emit less than 10% of their total luminance in the 800 to 900 glare-zone.

Recommendation 4: For Category P roadways and public spaces LED luminaires must be shielded to at least the 800 level to reduce glare from the LED array.

Recommendation 5: Streetlight LED luminaires on category V and P roadways must always be installed horizontally with zero upcast tilt.

Recommendation 6: Luminaires must deliver a well-controlled light distribution that does not contribute to light trespass behind or forward of the luminaire on to private property.

Recommendation 7: Streetlight luminaire designs must allow easy attachment of post-installation light shields to address any light trespass or glare complaints by nearby residents.

Recommendation 8: Streetlight LED luminaires must not deliver a total luminous flux or target area illuminance in excess of the minimum level required for the lighting purpose.

Recommendation 9: For category P roadways and public spaces LED luminaires must be controlled by adaptive management systems that reduce power consumption when full illumination is not required and respond when triggered by movement of pedestrians, cyclists and cars.

In order to implement these recommendations the current BCC/Energex LED Street Light Trial will need to incorporate a wider selection of luminaires. The trialling of a wider range of LED luminaires with better design characteristics will allow your engineers to make a better informed decision on which luminaires to select for Brisbane-wide roll-out.

I also bring to your attention the fact that multiple overseas cities have well demonstrated the implications of poor decision-making in the selection and installation of LED luminaires, for example: Davis, California; Phoenix, Arizona; Lake Worth, Florida; New York, New York; Chicago, Illinois and others. You should be aware of the public backlash and expense these authorities suffered from deploying high-glare and poorly shielded 4000K LED street lighting. My hope is that your organisation will learn from these overseas mistakes and not repeat them here.

I look forward to your actions to ensure well chosen, well installed and well operated LED street lighting in South East Queensland

Yours sincerely,

XXXXXX
Old 22-10-2017, 12:01 PM
that_guy (Tony)
Local Korean Millennial

I've sent the letter given to us at the combined societies meeting several months ago and received a form letter from the office. Doesnt look too promising. It seems the money flowing in from and to energex outweighs a few dozen worried astronomers
Old 22-10-2017, 01:45 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Isn’t Energex (at least part?) owned by QLD government? In which case, it might be worthwhile expressing concern about energy conservation and responsibility for looking after both city and country environments against the effects of blue hued LED lights. These have been proven to be to the detriment of the human biological processes, but wildlife also.

Raising any issues regarding clean energy production will likely fall on deaf ears and earn it a swift passage to the recycle bin...
Old 30-10-2017, 04:48 PM

Bump. Also, to add the link to the social media campaign:
http://www.facebook.com/Brisbane-LED...00717086830100

My apartment is right above a street lamp and I don't even want to open the curtains anymore. They're blackout curtains and still gets light streaming in from a regular street lamp. Even my fish get confused as to when bedtime is so the curtains will continue to stay closed. I'd imagine LEDs would be worse.
Old 30-10-2017, 06:18 PM
casstony

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittenshark View Post
I'd imagine LEDs would be worse.
Being new and broader spectrum makes the LEDs noticeably brighter than previous lamp types. Additionally the lower temperature, more amber colour LEDs make the environment seem so much nicer than the glare of blue/white LEDs.
Old 31-10-2017, 04:44 AM
skysurfer
Dark sky rules !

Quote:
I'd imagine LEDs would be worse.
I don't think so.
The existing poorly designed HPS (the ubiquitous orange streetlamps) have the bulbs protruding under the face of the fixture which spreads more light upwards.

Most LED fixtures have a flat face and spread far less light upwards. But many LED streetlamps have the wrong color temperature, too white and too much blue in it. Recent streedLEDpoles however, have 3000K LEDs in it which is not so harsh and scatters less as they have less blue light.

And LED is not completely broadband: the blue counterpart has a spike and the area between 480-500nm is considerably dimmer which is just the Hbeta and OIII area. The Halpha output is also rather low.

Moonlight is far worse as that has a real broadband spectrum and has also more blue light in it as it has a color temperature of 4000-5000K.

This picture shows the spectrum of a 5000K LED compared to sunlight (and moonlight), a 3000K LED is considerably dimmer in the blue.

This all does not say that city councils have to be very aware of the choice of the proper luminaries, and should also consider smart lighting, which means, that much more motion detectors should be installed for security lighting instead of all night on lighting.

And Brisbane is not the worst: Sydney and Melbourne are larger and have more LP, and in the rest of the southern hemisphere, Johannesburg or Sao Paulo are far worse.
Australia is one of the darkest countries in the world with only 40 million people in an area as large as the USA and lets keep in so dark !
Here in the EU is is far worse !
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (led-sunlight.jpg)
63.1 KB18 views

Last edited by skysurfer; 31-10-2017 at 04:56 AM.
Old 31-10-2017, 08:45 AM
casstony

My 4000K LED was a lot worse than the Mercury lamp it replaced, until I got it shielded. The LED was obviously brighter and much harder to filter at the scope.
Old 31-10-2017, 04:48 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

My objection to street lamps, besides the astro side, is the height at which they're typically raised...usually to bedroom window height. Are there not regulations to prevent this? In the UK, if you can prove street light ingress into your bedroom they are obliged to modify it as it constitutes a health issue. Sounds crazy in a place with 65 million people in the size of Victoria...
Old 03-11-2017, 08:41 AM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

Quote:
Originally Posted by that_guy View Post
I've sent the letter given to us at the combined societies meeting several months ago and received a form letter from the office. Doesnt look too promising. It seems the money flowing in from and to energex outweighs a few dozen worried astronomers
My thoughts exactly.
Old 03-11-2017, 08:48 AM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

yeah, so this is the view from my front yard:

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4463/3...a8f088_c_d.jpg

filed a complaint with Ipswich council, took them 5 weeks to respond, and the response was basically a big FU tough luck. The so called "engineer" said that everything was within spec. Probably didn't get off his ass to come and actually inspect it at night. Waiting for my lux meter to arrive so that I can prove that the lighting is higher than the 1 lumen per square meter that they're allowed (rough calculations using a EV meter on my iPhone and an online EV/Lux/Lumens calculator) show that it's actually around 3 lumens per square meter - over the legal specs.

I was far from impressed with Ipswich council. Useless as tits on a bull and more interested in business than actually serving their constituents.

Their BS is that they must light the sidewalk and streets sufficiently for cars and pedestrians. Wow. Piss poor argument considering most of the streets in my area are far less lit than my very small cul de sac, which has SFA foot and car traffic too I might add. I find it amusing, since if I drive to Springfield Lakes from Ipswich, the highway has practically NO LIGHTING. Which makes what the engineer told me absolute BS.

Impressed Dave is not.

I knew I should have kept my .22 rifle.

edit: spoke with one of my neighbours 2 nights ago in a general catch up chat, and talked to her about it and she was dismayed. You basically cannot see any but the mag 1 stars in the southern skies from my location, the LP is THAT BAD. She was rather sympathetic to my complaint, so may feel the other neighbours out and see if I can get a group petition going to remove the offending light, or shield it much better. I'm friendly with 2 of the 5 neighbours, on talking terms with a 3rd, the 4th has just sold their place and the 5th I don't really know.
Old 03-11-2017, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpastern View Post
yeah, so this is the view from my front yard:

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4463/3...a8f088_c_d.jpg

filed a complaint with Ipswich council, took them 5 weeks to respond, and the response was basically a big FU tough luck. The so called "engineer" said that everything was within spec. Probably didn't get off his ass to come and actually inspect it at night. Waiting for my lux meter to arrive so that I can prove that the lighting is higher than the 1 lumen per square meter that they're allowed (rough calculations using a EV meter on my iPhone and an online EV/Lux/Lumens calculator) show that it's actually around 3 lumens per square meter - over the legal specs.

I was far from impressed with Ipswich council. Useless as tits on a bull and more interested in business than actually serving their constituents.

Their BS is that they must light the sidewalk and streets sufficiently for cars and pedestrians. Wow. Piss poor argument considering most of the streets in my area are far less lit than my very small cul de sac, which has SFA foot and car traffic too I might add. I find it amusing, since if I drive to Springfield Lakes from Ipswich, the highway has practically NO LIGHTING. Which makes what the engineer told me absolute BS.

Impressed Dave is not.

I knew I should have kept my .22 rifle.

edit: spoke with one of my neighbours 2 nights ago in a general catch up chat, and talked to her about it and she was dismayed. You basically cannot see any but the mag 1 stars in the southern skies from my location, the LP is THAT BAD. She was rather sympathetic to my complaint, so may feel the other neighbours out and see if I can get a group petition going to remove the offending light, or shield it much better. I'm friendly with 2 of the 5 neighbours, on talking terms with a 3rd, the 4th has just sold their place and the 5th I don't really know.
You know what's insane? Apparently there are rules against obtrusive lighting, but that only applies to privately owned property. Yep. If *you* had an obtrusive lighting fixture on your property and your neighbour complained, you have to remove or do something about it. The same rules should apply to street lighting, and city council lights right? Well, NO.
Old 03-11-2017, 12:47 PM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

Quote:
You know what's insane? Apparently there are rules against obtrusive lighting, but that only applies to privately owned property. Yep. If *you* had an obtrusive lighting fixture on your property and your neighbour complained, you have to remove or do something about it. The same rules should apply to street lighting, and city council lights right? Well, NO.
preaching to the choir. There's one rule for governments, one rule for the rich *******s, and a "screw you rule" for everyone else. Why do you think I'm so anti-establishment? Governments do not serve we the people, and they do not deserve either our trust, or our respect. Sadly, the vast majority of our population are both stupid, sheep and lazy AF. That's why these *******s keep staying in power and keep doing SFA for the people.
Old 03-11-2017, 01:09 PM

Right! I just think the whole "one rule for gov" and "one rule for rich ----" and "screw you rule" is insane.

Just like you, I just find it crazy that these double (triple?) standards exist.

I'm not entirely sure how the whole political process works here (I'm not allowed to vote being non-citizen), but I've lived in worse places where there is little or poor governance and votes don't matter. That said, I've also lived in better.

Will continue helping the local clubs with public outreach and educating the public about light pollution. That's all I can do.
Old 03-11-2017, 01:24 PM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

Quote:
Right! I just think the whole "one rule for gov" and "one rule for rich ----" and "screw you rule" is insane.

Just like you, I just find it crazy that these double (triple?) standards exist.

I'm not entirely sure how the whole political process works here (I'm not allowed to vote being non-citizen), but I've lived in worse places where there is little or poor governance and votes don't matter. That said, I've also lived in better.

Will continue helping the local clubs with public outreach and educating the public about light pollution. That's all I can do.
Yes, triple standards.

I'd rather not have to vote - Australia is one of 3 major Western countries that enforces voting...why vote when there's no one worth voting for? I like my good friend Mr Don Key. Yes, there are worse places to live, but there are better places too. NZ looks mighty fine and nice, and if I had the money, I'd be moving there in a heartbeat. NZ is a nice analogy as to Canada vs the US - both Canada and NZ are "done right". Both Australia and the US are very much done wrong and poor examples of governments!

But, as I said, people are stupid. It's the only sane and logical explanation for Trump getting voted in as POTUS ;-) a redneck hillbilly would have been a better choice lol!

I'm not much of a club, or a people person. As my niece gets older and starts school, I'll try and do a bit of outreach to teach the younger generations about the sky and astronomy in general etc and foster some sort of interest in the sciences. But, that's a few years down the track!
Old 03-11-2017, 03:42 PM
casstony

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpastern View Post

I'd rather not have to vote - Australia is one of 3 major Western countries that enforces voting...why vote when there's no one worth voting for? Both Australia and the US are very much done wrong and poor examples of governments!
Voting isn't compulsory. Attending a polling booth (or posting a letter) is compulsory, but you can write "no dams" or "I love coal" or draw genitals on the ballot paper if you wish. On balance I think it's better to compel people to be involved in the democratic process.

Australia and the US are worlds apart; life is so much easier here.
Old 03-11-2017, 04:01 PM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

Quote:
Originally Posted by casstony View Post
Voting isn't compulsory. Attending a polling booth (or posting a letter) is compulsory, but you can write "no dams" or "I love coal" or draw genitals on the ballot paper if you wish. On balance I think it's better to compel people to be involved in the democratic process.

Australia and the US are worlds apart; life is so much easier here.
Yes, that is correct. I draw the same lines between being forced to vote, and being forced to attend the voting booth. What I said in my prior post still stands - Australia is one of the few Western countries in the world that forces people to attend a voting booth. Is that better? One would call us almost uncivilised and bullied by our government. I'll draw an example of how bad our government is:

the same sex marriage vote.

Said current LNP pushed it via an ABS survey, rather than a referendum, which I personally believe is actually illegal. The marriage act is defined in our constitution, and any constitutional changes require a public referendum. An ABS survey is NOT a referendum - there is no compulsion for people to even fill out the vote form! In fact, probably 40% of the eligible voting population hasn't done so. When it's convenient for the government, they don't want us voting. They need to make up their minds *wink wink*. We don't have a real democracy anyway. It would be perfectly "legal" (well, not really) for the politicians to still vote no on a conscious vote, even if the majority of Australia's public voted yes. I say not really, because every MP takes an oath to serve their electorate that voted them in. If a particular electorate overwhelmingly votes yes for SSM, and said MP votes no in a conscious vote, how are they serving their electorate? More importantly, why isn't the GG sacking them? Oh wait, cos the GG is nothing but a dressed up lamb that does what the PM says (Fraser made sure that that was changed after he ousted Whitlam).

So many things broken in our political arena and it's a total joke. If only the average Australian was bright enough to realise how borked it is.

Why should I vote when there's no real democracy?

Why should I vote when at the last election, more people voted for the ALP party, but our system denotes electorates, not total votes as the winning method? Why should a singular independent hold an entire government to sway? That's just blackmail, plain and simple. I mean, the majority of Australia didn't vote for said independent *wink wink* - only that independent's electorate did.

What about these buggers with dual or foreign citizenship under clause 44(1) of our constitution? It is THEIR responsibility PRIOR to sitting for parliament to ensure that they are not a citizen of a foreign power or eligible for dual citizenship. None of these buggers did their job right. What's worse, these buggers have voted on bills in parliament, and those votes are ILLEGAL. None of their votes should count, and any legislation passed with their aid, should be immediately rescinded and re-voted on. You don't hear the media making that point, do you? Oh wait, cos they're the lackeys of our crappy government(s), that's why.

As I said earlier, one law for the rich, one law for the powerful, one law for business, and a screw you law for the rest of us ordinary folk. That's how I feel, and that's how a growing number of people who have a brain actually feel.

No, I am not happy with our current political system.
Old 03-11-2017, 04:17 PM
casstony

There's plenty wrong with the system. My pet hate is how much damage the bankers have done to our economy/financial system. But I choose not to get too stressed about things I can't fix and enjoy the worthwhile things in life. There are some decent people in politics and the best I can do is vote for them at election time.
Old 03-11-2017, 05:23 PM
Boozlefoot
SQM 21.98 mag./arc sec2

At the risk of being obtuse, the electoral system in Australia is now simply tailored to benefit those who wish to enter the political arena and reserve/preserve their place at the trough. Compulsory voting fails to mirror the wishes of those who truly care about the nations direction, by the inclusion of so many donkey votes.

But to get back on the topic, there are no street lights for about 43kms here. Just thought I'd mention it.
Old 03-11-2017, 09:52 PM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

Quote:
Originally Posted by casstony View Post
There's plenty wrong with the system. My pet hate is how much damage the bankers have done to our economy/financial system. But I choose not to get too stressed about things I can't fix and enjoy the worthwhile things in life. There are some decent people in politics and the best I can do is vote for them at election time.
I disagree about the decent people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boozlefoot View Post
At the risk of being obtuse, the electoral system in Australia is now simply tailored to benefit those who wish to enter the political arena and reserve/preserve their place at the trough. Compulsory voting fails to mirror the wishes of those who truly care about the nations direction, by the inclusion of so many donkey votes.

But to get back on the topic, there are no street lights for about 43kms here. Just thought I'd mention it.
Oh I wish that lighting was decent. But, I live in suburbia, so I'm stuck with some LP. If I can get rid of that bloody light, it'd be a semi win. If I slept with my blinds open, it'd keep me awake.
Old 04-11-2017, 02:13 PM
jenchris (Jennifer)

I'll bet that rhe lenses have sufficient stiction to allow some wet clay to adhere to them if it was ejected with the right trajectory from a suitable orifice.