Old 12-02-2018, 01:24 PM
Tropo-Bob (Bob)

NGC 3132 Planetary Nebula Vela (Caldwell 74)

NGC 3132 Planetary Nebula Vela (Caldwell 74) - viewed Feb 11 with Tak 100D

This is approximately 7 degress north of the Globular NGC 3201

EP Delite 7mm (105x) The bright star at the centre of the nebula was easily seen, but colour seemed absent.
EP Delite15mm (50x) The blue/green colour of the nebula could be seen at this magnification, but not the central star!

Remarks: I had forgotten how good this object is. Sometimes called, the Southern Ring Nebula, it does not disappoint. Another name is the Eight-Burst Nebula, however, I did not notice the famed 8 shape.

More Information: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NGC_3132
https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap150607.html
Old 14-02-2018, 09:09 AM
Saturnine (Jeff)

Enjoying your observational reports Tropo- Bob, have observed all the objects you've mentioned, over the years and am looking to re-aquaint myself with them all when the new scope is finished.
NGC 3132 is a lovely smoke ring of a planetary nebula in the 8" dob at 114X with an Pentax 10.5 XL and Baader UHC filter, can't recall seeing any colour with that aperture but the central star , yes.
Old 14-02-2018, 12:02 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropo-Bob View Post
NGC 3132 Planetary Nebula Vela (Caldwell 74) - viewed Feb 11 with Tak 100D

This is approximately 7 degress north of the Globular NGC 3201

EP Delite 7mm (105x) The bright star at the centre of the nebula was easily seen, but colour seemed absent.
EP Delite15mm (50x) The blue/green colour of the nebula could be seen at this magnification, but not the central star!

Remarks: I had forgotten how good this object is. Sometimes called, the Southern Ring Nebula, it does not disappoint. Another name is the Eight-Burst Nebula, however, I did not notice the famed 8 shape.

More Information: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NGC_3132
https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap150607.html
Great one Bob..this one should be on everyone's list to observe or Image..along with the likes of the Blue Planetary, Blue Eskimo, and Green CBS eye is one of my Favourites..never tried it below 6" here in the City or region..Was too low down last time I tried..
Worth a look once again, along with some top Doubles in the region..been looking in Lupus and some lovely forgotten ones there.
PS: Have been using Orthos lately to telling effect..definately they go deeper than the Deloi, with a better colour rendition.

bigjoe.

Last edited by bigjoe; 14-02-2018 at 12:25 PM.
Old 14-02-2018, 12:10 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

I agree Bob, this is a beauty of a planetary nebula to view visually and I like to take a squizz when I have my 12" Dob out. I did a deep image of it a year ago that shows some outer bits you can't see visually. I do like the visual appearance though, it looks really sharp and distinct.

Mike
Old 15-02-2018, 02:31 PM
Tropo-Bob (Bob)

Thanks all. Michael, thanks for adding your image. Quite impressive!