Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Software and Computers

Old 21-04-2018, 06:43 AM
leon

Dose Software Wear Out ??

Hi Guys ,
Just wondering, I use a Photographic Software which i have used for well over ten years and it serves me well, plus other Software that is equally as good, and i expect it will serve me well for years to come.

As we use our other appliances, may it be Fridges, wash Machines, and even our cars, they all eventually wear out and need to be replaced.

Dose software that is used nearly daily for 10 plus years also just wear out, or will it be the same as when we first installed it.

Leon
Old 21-04-2018, 06:53 AM
Merlin66 (Ken)

The software will probably outlast the PC.
I have some good software which no longer operates on the current version of windows.
Old 21-04-2018, 09:04 AM
JA

Software can become corrupted over time and its operation can faulter for a number of reasons: corrupted data on hard disk, conflicting or non-ideal system settings from user changes or new software additions, not quite so backward compatible operating system updates or new operating systems, ...

Sometimes a computer cleanup of junk files, hard disk maintenance and a re-install of your beloved software can work wonders. Other times, get the new version of your favourite software, it will be written for newer operating system releases, be 64bit most likely , etc....

Best
JA
Old 21-04-2018, 09:46 AM
Scorpius (Dave)

The biggest issue with old software is not the software itself, but the the later releases of Operating Systems. Many old programs used DOS and features like VBrun and DLL files. From Windows 8 MS removed many of these old features rendering Games like MidTown Madness, Train Sims etc unusable.

The only way to use the antique stuff in your junk box is to make up an old computer from the dream time and run Win 98 et seq... (If you can find a copy)
Incidently many Government Computers are still running Windows 7 as that was one of the best OS of the bunch and is still very reliable.

New is not always the best !

Dave.
Old 21-04-2018, 09:56 AM
Kal (Andrew)
1¼" ñì®våñá

If you imagine software as the words in a book, operating system as the language used to write the book, and hardware being the physical media the book is wrotten on (paper) then you can imagine the physical media wearing out (book pages get old and you can't read the text properly), you can imagine the operating system (language) changing/evolving over time (making the words not make sense any more), but the software itself should not wear out, you can read that book every day for 10 years heh.
Old 21-04-2018, 10:13 AM
leon

Very interesting, thank you.

Leon