Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-06-2018, 09:30 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

It is my opinion you can blame fundamentalist religion.

The Earth is flat because the good book says so ... the good book trumps science.

I saw a lecture and the point was made the US Army has a minimum IQ ( 83) below which they won't go... and these folk below are not suitable for any form of work.

They are so stupid in effect that they are dangerous.

And there is 10% of the population below 83... they are not even useful for canon fodder apparently.

Unfortunately this major problem is not addressed probably because culling would be the only sensible solution ☺

I think 20% in US believe the good book is literally true and regard it as unquestionable authority so it would seem 20% of the population will go for a flat Earth and a rejection of gravity if surveyed.☺.

It is funny...humans breed animals to improve the strain and yet any suggestion of "breeding" better humans is not on...but as terrible as this will sound it probably makes sence not to let folk with an IQ below 83 have children.

Alex
Old 06-06-2018, 10:04 PM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

I am highly doubtful that 10% of the population is below the IQ limit of 83 though. 100 yes, 83 I highly doubt it. Source(s)? AFAIK, the average IQ is between 100 and 110 (edit: should have technically said median, not average I guess). i also don't think that there's any correlation between IQ and fundamental religious beliefs, but I could be wrong. I doubt that sort of statistical data is harvested by the powers that be (would be interesting to see that data compiled though!).

Yes, fundamental religion is a growing issue imho. I strongly suspect that the belief in fundamental religion and its doctrines is due to the lack of base intelligence (IQ is a bad way to measure intelligence imho) and poor education. Most educated, sane people, see past the base facts in say, the bible (Earth created in 7 days etc) as being educational doctrine, and not to be taken as gospel (no pun intended). But hey, I could be wrong.

I would agree that the bible, and belief in creationism, is on the rise, especially in the bible belt regions of the US. And, I suspect that many of those will reject darwinism and globe Earth too (again, based on the words in the good book).

Whilst I agree somewhat to your sentiments on the allowance of breeding of those with low IQs, is it scientifically proven that 2 people who have low IQs (say, below 83) who have children, will automatically result in the offspring having low IQs? Society is seeing a strong push away from IQs anyway, with more emphasis being placed on EQs today. The herd mentality - fit in and be one of the crowd! IQ doesn't mean too much anyway, imho, it shows how logical you are, which is not always the same as intelligence imho.
Old 06-06-2018, 11:31 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpastern View Post

I also firmly believe that there is an over-reliance on computers and technology in schools. IMHO, children @ primary school should not be using any computer based devices
I agree .... when I was at the RAAF School of Technical Training in the 70's ... the class was not allowed 'Calculators ' to work out ' values ' in an electronic circuit......we all had to ' work it out in our heads ' using ' formulas ' relating to Ohms Law / Voltage Drops ' / Amps / on Series and Parallel Circuits.....in other words ... get your brain into gear and learn to do it yourself....I received a ' Credit ' for that subject.

Today, you can ' punch ' the numbers into a Scientific Calculator and it gives ' you ' the answer.... where's the learning in that ...??

Col...
Old 06-06-2018, 11:44 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

The US Army use IQ and you will get a surprise if you look into the numbers.

I have not got a link but if you are interested the facts I talk of will be out there.

As to the religion...again look into what goes on and tell me most people are not literalists.

Religion and low inteligence related?
Try a google on talking in tounges..saints..JC images in whatever...or donations by followers for million dollar jets for televangalists...sowing cash seeds ..maybe the creationist museum and check out the dinasour saddles...I think 10% stupid is probably conservative.
Alex

Alex
Old 06-06-2018, 11:48 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
and check out the dinosaur saddles....

Alex

... giddy up ...!!
Old 07-06-2018, 09:29 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashDrive View Post
... giddy up ...!!
Hi Flash
You probably think that I am joking such that you think I was making up the dinasour saddles but unfortunaty although I do think the concept is a joke the saddles are real...they are in the Creationist Museum and young kids are exposed to such nonsence ... is it any wonder that we have flat Earthers?

And although I once thought that religious folk treated their good book as instructive and had the sence to realise that it was written in the bronze age and that the stories can not be taken literally it is now very clear that there is an alarming number who take the stories as true for example the flood story...so science has to give.

Science is presented as evil to a large degree.

By the way the museum is built to replicate the arc so how that must convince children that the good book is the truth.

Most religious folk can adjust their faith to more or less fit a reasonable reality but clearly there is a huge number who can not...20% and I bet your stupid 10% are within the group.
Alex
Old 07-06-2018, 10:24 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

It is the literal take on the good book that has religious folk rejecting evolution.
They would rather take the good book account of Adam and Eve to an enormous body of science.
And from this we nearly saw in the US the concept of inteligent design (a "sciency" approach to how life was created) taught as science in schools.
You can bet although not taught in schools such nonsence is taught in many homes in the US and probably in this country as well.

And I bet the percentage of people of folk who take the good book as literal is indeed much higher on the basis that many if questioned would say they believed it was not but secretly would hold that belief.
These folk would happily lead us back to the dark ages and are a real danger to the human race.

Alex
Old 07-06-2018, 11:00 AM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Alex ....I'd never heard of ' Dinosaur Saddles ' ...I though you were being humorous

Col...
Old 07-06-2018, 11:07 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Alex ....I'd never heard of ' Dinosaur Saddles ' ...I though you were being humorous

Col...
Well you would...it is beyond belief.
Check out the Creationist Museum...I am pretty sure thats what its called.
Built like the arc and really until you see it and listen to one of the guides or advocates you wont believe such nonsence exists.
It is a big worry.
Goggle it and add utube so you get a guided tour.
That will spoil your day.
Alex
Old 07-06-2018, 11:09 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Here is the wiki link but have a look on utube.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creation_Museum
Alex
Old 07-06-2018, 11:15 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Here is a utube link.
https://youtu.be/TME30pPBw58

I am not sure it has the saddles but you will get the idea.

Alex
Old 07-06-2018, 11:38 AM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

Quote:
I agree .... when I was at the RAAF School of Technical Training in the 70's ... the class was not allowed 'Calculators ' to work out ' values ' in an electronic circuit......we all had to ' work it out in our heads ' using ' formulas ' relating to Ohms Law / Voltage Drops ' / Amps / on Series and Parallel Circuits.....in other words ... get your brain into gear and learn to do it yourself....I received a ' Credit ' for that subject.

Today, you can ' punch ' the numbers into a Scientific Calculator and it gives ' you ' the answer.... where's the learning in that ...??

Col...
Yup, I agree Col. Back in my high school days, our maths teach made us occasionally use sin/cos/tan tables instead of our calculators. His reasoning was to use our brains. Do kids even still learn long division today? Geometry? Algebra?

Quote:
The US Army use IQ and you will get a surprise if you look into the numbers.

I have not got a link but if you are interested the facts I talk of will be out there.

As to the religion...again look into what goes on and tell me most people are not literalists.

Religion and low inteligence related?
Try a google on talking in tounges..saints..JC images in whatever...or donations by followers for million dollar jets for televangalists...sowing cash seeds ..maybe the creationist museum and check out the dinasour saddles...I think 10% stupid is probably conservative.
Alex

Alex
I just can't see 10% of our population being this gullible or stupid. I did a quick google on "average global IQ" and the first hit was this page:

https://www.fourmilab.ch/documents/IQ/1950-2050/

not sure how accurate it is, but one of the tables shows a downward trend in average IQ, which started at the middle of the 20th century (select the trend chart for an easy visual exercise lol). If this is scientifically accurate, then I am very much worried. It explains a lot about our society and I fear a 2nd dark ages will be soon upon us.

I would like to see all governments introduce mandatory IQ testing at age 16. Why? If IQs are indeed dropping, then this has major repercussions for society as a whole. An increase in the inability to follow simple instructions will cause problems with many people being able to perform their jobs correctly. With that said, I suspect robotics will evolve over the next 36 years to the point where humans employed in jobs will be very low numbers.
Old 07-06-2018, 11:47 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

I did a second degree (B.Sc, majoring in Microbiology and Medical Microbiology) a little while ago. First year Chemistry and Organic Chemistry was interesting - they were being taught what I did 30 years ago in High School, and yet they mostly all just looked blankly at the lecturer. When it came time to use log...well, the faces went completely blank.

74% failed that course - the turnout for the make up exam was apparently in excess of 200 students!!! (I managed personally to get the Dean's Commendation for the course lol).

Organic Chemistry was even more laughable. He had had so high a failure rate that he was forced to drop the pass mark of the final exam to 30% and only asked 10 questions.... incredible. He made up for it by doing random verbal assessment - I got asked in the middle of a prac to describe step by step the Grignard Reaction.

Kids these days are not inherently stupid - they are LAZY and expect everything handed to them on a platter.
Old 07-06-2018, 12:05 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Quote:
Here is a utube link.
https://youtu.be/TME30pPBw58

I am not sure it has the saddles but you will get the idea.

Alex
I had a look ...I really don't care about what other people think .... it won't make my day any better or worse.

Why ' follow ' the crowd ' ...I just sit back and watch.

Col....
Old 07-06-2018, 12:09 PM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

There may be some evidence that some of the stories in the good book have some basis in truth as well Alex.

For example, Immanuel Velikovsky's Worlds in Collision, in which he theorises that Venus is not native to our system and was in fact, captured by Sol, and deflected to its current inner solar system position by Jupiter, and in that process, interfered with the Earth's magnetic field etc, causing Earthquakes, floods etc. Whilst I am dubious, there are some interesting questions:

a) Venus is the only planet to orbit the sun in a retrograde manner

b) it is one of only 2 to have a retrograde axial spin (Uranus being the other)

c) an unusually odd axial tilt (177 degrees)

d) very slow rotation period (243 days from memory)

these are all very odd features, and at arms with the rest of our planets. It would at least suggest that Venus did not originate in its current location in our solar system.

we know that rogue planets exist, we know from simulations that planets can get thrown out of a solar system, so it's not a totally impossible theory. Yet Velikovsky is rubbished by many in the science community. He offers no valid proof, but his theory is interesting and merits further investigation imho.

For example, the Sumerians referenced Inanna (their vision of Venus) as:

"You make the heavens tremble and the earth quake. Great Priestess, who can soothe your troubled heart? You flash like lightning over the highlands; you throw your firebrands across the earth. Your deafening command ... splits apart great mountains"

which is rather odd.

We know of martian meteorites that have impacted on the Earth, but Venusian? Nope. Rather odd. Of course, that could be for a variety of logical reasons as detailed in this CN thread:

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/4...an-meteorites/

Whilst our earliest ancestors were given to non scientific explanations of planetary issues, perhaps not everything that they mention is rubbish, or should be ridiculed.

note: I am NOT saying Velikovsky was correct in his assertions, but that his ideas merit further scientific investigation, rather than the outright hatred that he received from the scientific community at the time of the release of his infamous book.
Old 07-06-2018, 12:18 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Going back to the F-35 for a moment, some latest news:

"The Government Accountability Office (GAO) has recommended that Congress withhold funding for the F-35 program, saying the jet fighter is plagued with almost 1,000 deficiencies that must be resolved before production can begin.

The shortcomings include an ejector seat that can cause neck injuries, an unusable helmet-mounted display system, failing oxygen-supply systems and a mid-air refuelling probe that can break off during use. In total, the F-35 had 996 unresolved deficiencies as of January. Of these, 111 were considered ‘Category 1’ deficiencies - faults and flaws that could seriously jeopardize user safety or security."

And:

"The F-35 has been in development at Lockheed Martin since 2001, and it has been dogged by delays and surging costs ever since then. At an estimated lifetime cost of $1.4 trillion, it is the most expensive weapons development program in history."

And we just HAD to get involved in this junk. With more and more countries pulling out of the F-35 (Germany is touted to pull out next), it's going to be a BIG WHITE ELEPHANT.
Old 07-06-2018, 12:31 PM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
Going back to the F-35 for a moment, some latest news:

"The Government Accountability Office (GAO) has recommended that Congress withhold funding for the F-35 program, saying the jet fighter is plagued with almost 1,000 deficiencies that must be resolved before production can begin.

The shortcomings include an ejector seat that can cause neck injuries, an unusable helmet-mounted display system, failing oxygen-supply systems and a mid-air refuelling probe that can break off during use. In total, the F-35 had 996 unresolved deficiencies as of January. Of these, 111 were considered ‘Category 1’ deficiencies - faults and flaws that could seriously jeopardize user safety or security."

And:

"The F-35 has been in development at Lockheed Martin since 2001, and it has been dogged by delays and surging costs ever since then. At an estimated lifetime cost of $1.4 trillion, it is the most expensive weapons development program in history."

And we just HAD to get involved in this junk. With more and more countries pulling out of the F-35 (Germany is touted to pull out next), it's going to be a BIG WHITE ELEPHANT.
One has to logically question why our government is so insistent on wasting money on this junk...
Old 07-06-2018, 12:52 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Why? Because we are TOLD to by the US.

Australia lost it's spine with the sacking of Gough Whiltlam (you really need to read all about it to understand how deep it REALLY goes!). Whilst I personally was not a fan of Mr. Whitlam, he knew the truth, what needed to be done and was elected on this premise. He soon learned NOT to defy the will and plans of the CIA and MI6...
Old 07-06-2018, 01:02 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:

Australia lost it's spine with the sacking of Gough Whiltlam (you really need to read all about it to understand how deep it REALLY goes!). Whilst I personally was not a fan of Mr. Whitlam, he knew the truth, what needed to be done and was elected on this premise. He soon learned NOT to defy the will and plans of the CIA and MI6...
I dont know why its surprising.
Folk wonder why we seem to suck up when its just the way things go...its no big deal.

Its like Rome. .culture money control can be traced back...no worries.

You cant change it.

Stop worrying.

Alex
Old 07-06-2018, 01:02 PM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

Quote:

Yes, I have read about that and it does make sense. I didn't think about that when I made my last post lol! duh!
Closed Thread