Old 25-05-2018, 08:53 AM
AstroBogan (Jacob)
Jacob

New OIII and SII filters

So, my new OIII and SII filters arive today!!!! I will finally have my 3 NB filters ready to rock!

My question is, with the ZWO filters, I have heard that one of them leaves drastic halos around bright stars. Is that the case for all people? is it with older ZWO filters? Probably should have read more before I purchased them

Also, any recommendations of targets to try and get data on and process in Hubble Palette? I have ~2hours on the lagoon nebula and 2~ hours on the eagle nebula both in Ha. Which one is likely to yield better results in SII and OIII?

thanks!
Old 25-05-2018, 01:19 PM
benklerk

I'm also looking at getting the ZWO ASI 1600mm with filters.

I have also read the NB gives really bad halos around stars like in the Ha. So i have decided to get astrodon instead of the ZWO filters.

As for targets go the Trifid Nebula (M20) nearby is a good target. For SII and OIII planetary nebula's are your best bet. But I have heard both M 8 and M 16 are both strong in OIII.

Ben
Old 25-05-2018, 03:42 PM
kosborn (Kevin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsmitt94 View Post
So, my new OIII and SII filters arive today!!!! I will finally have my 3 NB filters ready to rock!

My question is, with the ZWO filters, I have heard that one of them leaves drastic halos around bright stars. Is that the case for all people? is it with older ZWO filters? Probably should have read more before I purchased them

Hi Jacob,

I have the 7nm narrowband ZWO filters (31mm unmounted). It's important that they are orientated correctly to the camera because only one side is anti-reflective. See the bottom of this page from the ZWO web site: https://astronomy-imaging-camera.com...nd-31mm-filter. I've found that even with them in correctly I get reflection halos around bright stars but I think that's because the sensor cover on my ASI1600mm isn't anti-reflective.

With regard targets, I have 1 hour each so far for Ha, OIII and SII on the Trifid. There's more to come (tonight if it stays clear), so I'll let you know... Cat's Paw seemed to work well with Hubble palette.

Enjoy the narrowband - you'll have a lot of fun!

Kevin