Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Old 09-06-2019, 11:54 PM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)
Feel free to edit my imag

Cars mean nothing to me

In other words whilst I love my car that I bought new in 2006 and look after it I am not a car nut, even though I am a professional sports photographer and shoot for a glossy magazine (NO there is no money in it these days just the love of Photography)

But am I alone in the amount of car cleaners etc I have mainly Auto Glym and Meguiars.

I have just replaced the door cards, don't know what you cal them over there, the inner part of the car doors, and am renovating the car, mainly because it is where I keep all my camera gear and scopes through the summer for days/weekends away
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Dscn0399.jpg)
54.2 KB59 views
Old 10-06-2019, 06:39 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I just bought a new car..I had too. The old one was manual and only 1200cc which suited me as it was economical but with my crook legs I had to get an auto. I was very savage on the clutch. Birnt thru one and well into a second☺. Also the gear box was on the way out... The auto is great and has cruise control both of which makes life much better...such small matters but changed the trip North by being less stressful. And I can set cruise control and exercise my legs which is wonderful.
But cars to me are just transport and nothing else. I find it amusing so many treat their car like a toy or status symbol and think that the engine noise reflects their masculinity. My cars are not mistreated but are not always clean and that is not cause I am slack but cleaning it is such an effort I just cant do it as often as I would like.
Maybe having to use a car as a business tool took the toy thing out of it for me.
I was going to get a van to put a bed in and basic camping stuff so as to do some outback astronomy but they felt too big...even this new car feels huge. .it is four door the old one was two...
It already needs a clean after the trip up here and only about one klm of dirt road☺.
The dew and the dust on a white car sure is noticable☺
Alex
Old 10-06-2019, 12:45 PM
Renato1 (Renato)

I have a stack of car cleaners - but only because my wife kept buying them for me. The only one I use is a bit of Armour-All poured into the water I wash the car with occasionally.

My wife has the newer car in pristine condition, while I have the ancient knock-about car from 2004 - which I don't care much if the old folks at the shopping centre bang their car doors into.
Regards,
Renato
Old 10-06-2019, 04:50 PM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)

I am still fussy where I park, end spaces, large spaces etc
Old 10-06-2019, 05:14 PM
Wavytone

I have a rule... always park next to something a LOT more expensive.
Old 10-06-2019, 05:23 PM
AndyG (Andy)
No. I am a meat popsicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
...But cars to me are just transport and nothing else. I find it amusing so many treat their car like a toy or status symbol and think that the engine noise reflects their masculinity....
On reflection, I must be somewhat still guilty of this. I say "still" - as a youngster I was beyond cringeworthy in that department. These days however, I prefer to have a vehicle that is not shiny, that looks like it's done a bit of work. My current AU falcon 1 tonner fits the bill. Maybe it's some innate "Yobbo" factor - I just feel uncomfortable driving something too shiny.

That said, I do vacuum it every week (I'm not a grub), and clean the windows for safety.

Quote:
The dew and the dust on a white car sure is noticable☺
Alex
The dust has value - it holds my Falcon together.
Old 10-06-2019, 06:15 PM
Imme (Jon)

Well, I’ve never really spent a great deal on cars.....been known to actually drive donated ones in my youth (they were crap)

However, I’m currently doing up a 2003 Nissan patrol as an off-road tourer and although it doesn’t look lovely and flashy I can tell you it is turning out to be the most expensive car I have ever owned by a LONG way. New engine getting put in as we speak......scared to put down on paper what that’s costing in case the better half sees 😉
Old 10-06-2019, 07:25 PM
Outcast (Carlton)
Always gonna be a NOOB...

Quote:
I find it amusing so many treat their car like a toy or status symbol and think that the engine noise reflects their masculinity.
I'm guessing you'd hate my Harley then Alex...
Old 10-06-2019, 07:36 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outcast View Post
I'm guessing you'd hate my Harley then Alex...
Not hate but to be honest I dont think much of them mainly because my only contact with bikes was racing..mainly moto cross but some short curcuit at a club level and I think a bike must be minimalistic and race like. .throw them around not just be there for the ride☺ but in reflection although satisfying racing is rather silly.
Alex
Old 10-06-2019, 07:47 PM
bobson (Bob)

I have Toyota Camry station wagon 1994 model. I beat you Renato
About Harley, to be honest I could never understand how and why are they allowed to make so much noise? To make so much noise you would have to cut exhaust right after CAT on Falcon and get severely punished from police
Old 10-06-2019, 08:17 PM
Outcast (Carlton)
Always gonna be a NOOB...

I've had quite a long love affair with motorcycles...

Started in my teens, knocking about on banged up old farm bikes at the family property of some friends...

I got my license on a Kwakka Z9 painted matt black back in the day when the test consisted of riding round the block near the local police station.. I recall the Sgt coming out to meet me as I returned from where he had sent me, looking at his watch & commenting... 'well, obviously you didn't fall off son, come inside & we'll get the paperwork sorted'...

In my late teens I also raced TZ250 & 350 production bikes... fun times indeed...

Over the years, I've ridden trail bikes (learned an awful lot riding those, even when I thought I was an accomplished rider)... From Jappa's, to BMW's to an 89 Ducati 900SS, I've had a few (well too many really)..

Bit of a break then back onto a bike... a Harley coz the missus wasn't overly keen on me getting a sports bike again plus, my back, wrists & neck wouldn't tolerate them anymore...

A sporty, a Road King & currently a Night Rod Special but, looking to get back on a tourer... maybe a Street Glide...

I haven't lost the urge to go quick & I still punt my Harley's pretty hard bud.... just hasn't quite got the cornering clearance of the Ducati, well, not until you grind the pegs down a bit anyways...

I was mainly referring to the noise though Alex.. I do like them loud... my Ducati had a beautiful exhaust note & the Harley's very similar... neither the most reliable bikes but, I do love them nonetheless....

Quote:
Not hate but to be honest I dont think much of them mainly because my only contact with bikes was racing..mainly moto cross but some short curcuit at a club level and I think a bike must be minimalistic and race like. .throw them around not just be there for the ride☺ but in reflection although satisfying racing is rather silly.
Alex
Old 10-06-2019, 09:06 PM
mynameiscd (Andy)

About 5 years ago my 80 series landcruiser big end went and with my work trailer on and a fair way from home i was in a bind.
I found a car yard close by and bought the first ute i saw, a 98 XH ford longreach.
It cost $2000 and its still going strong now. All I've done to it is change tyres and put a canopy on.
I got $1800 for the cruiser from the guy in the petrol station across the road so the car sort of cost $200.
A big rough but not worried about getting in with my work clothes on and parking at shopping centres.
Cheers
Andy
Old 11-06-2019, 02:35 AM
Renato1 (Renato)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobson View Post
I have Toyota Camry station wagon 1994 model. I beat you Renato
(
So long as it works and you can get parts for your Camry, why change?

Your depreciation cost is negligible.

I got rid of my 27 year old Toyota Lexcen GLX two years ago for $100 when my mechanic advised that the wreckers in the area had stopped stocking VN Commodore parts. I miss my old car - it had more guts than the VY Calais I bought, even though they have the same V6 engine.

Anyhow, I like a knockabout car. When I see firewood by the side of the road I put a tarp in the back seat, and fill it and the boot up.
Cheers.
Renato
Old 11-06-2019, 02:58 AM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renato1 View Post
So long as it works and you can get parts for your Camry, why change?

Your depreciation cost is negligible.

I got rid of my 27 year old Toyota Lexcen GLX two years ago for $100 when my mechanic advised that the wreckers in the area had stopped stocking VN Commodore parts. I miss my old car - it had more guts than the VY Calais I bought, even though they have the same V6 engine.

Anyhow, I like a knockabout car. When I see firewood by the side of the road I put a tarp in the back seat, and fill it and the boot up.
Cheers.
Renato

This is why I am happy with my 2006 car

It cost me £18k new, or £1.300 a year so far, and I have been VERY lucky, NO extra costs.

I do think of changing it occasionally but after looking round at all that is available the only car that is right for me is ANOTHER Grand Scenic Renault, why bother
Old 11-06-2019, 12:29 PM
Renato1 (Renato)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukastronomer View Post
This is why I am happy with my 2006 car

It cost me £18k new, or £1.300 a year so far, and I have been VERY lucky, NO extra costs.

I do think of changing it occasionally but after looking round at all that is available the only car that is right for me is ANOTHER Grand Scenic Renault, why bother
Where I used to work in the Department of Defence in the manufacture munitions, it was an amusing observation that most of the engineers back then drove old, sometimes clapped-out cars, while their lesser paid staff all drove nice new or newer cars than their bosses.

That only changed in more recent years when leases as part of a salary package and tax deductions made getting new cars a more attractive proposition (though I thought it still led to more expenditure than just running the old car).
Regards,
Renato