Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Astronomy Books and Media

Old 01-09-2018, 11:07 AM
gary

Movie - "First Man" - story of Neil Armstrong - 11 Oct 2018

2019 marks the 50th anniversary of the Apollo 11 moon landing.

Own Gleiberman provides a review in Variety of a forthcoming
movie entitled "First Man" by director Damien Chazelle (La La Land)
where Ryan Gosling plays Neil Armstrong :-

https://variety.com/2018/film/review...le-1202920157/

Trailers :-
https://youtu.be/PSoRx87OO6k
https://youtu.be/w4GtJB5WAlQ

The film will be released in Australia on 11 October 2018.
Old 02-09-2018, 10:01 AM
brian nordstrom (As avatar)

Thanks , it will be a good movie and I for one are looking forward to it .

Brian.
Old 02-09-2018, 08:11 PM
Startrek (Martin)

I read the book 9 years ago and enjoyed it immensely, a story of an incredible life’s journey of a remarkable human being
Armstrong was one of a kind, a farm kid from Wapakoneta Ohio who became the first human being to walk on another celestial body almost 50 years ago

I recently visited the Kennedy Space Centre in Florida which was an incredible experience. All the Apollo Saturn 5 Moon hardware on show was awinspiring and the Apollo Project still remains the greatest engineering feat the world has ever seen
To put men on top of the Saturn 5 rocket (a precisely controlled 7.5 million pound atomic explosion) and send them out of earth orbit on a precise trajectory to an orbiting moon calculated with slide rules and primitive computers at a speed of 40,000 km/hr in the late 1960s is nothing more than astonishing.
Armstrong was the “first man” and he was simply meant to be !!
Old 05-09-2018, 10:31 PM
Saturnine (Jeff)

To put men on top of the Saturn 5 rocket (a precisely controlled 7.5 million pound atomic explosion)

The Saturn 5 Rocket was / is an awesome piece of human engineering but a point of order, the fuel for the rocket was not nuclear. The 1st stage fuel was Kerosene and Liquid Oxygen. Stages 2 and 3 were powered by Liquid Hydrogen and Liquid Oxygen.
Being pedantic I know but we have to have some historical accuracy for what was one of Mans' crowning achievements. The bravery of all the astronauts and cosmonauts involved in the space race is not to be taken lightly.
Old 06-09-2018, 07:13 AM
Startrek (Martin)

The term “atomic” was merely a figure of speech to dramatise the event for those not familiar with the Apollo program (GenY etc )
I grew up in the 60s and followed all the Apollo missions as a tv astronaut, news paper clippings, books, models etc etc
As you know the 5 x F1 engines on stage 1 ( inboard engine fixed and four outer engines gimballed ) were fuelled with RP1 ( kerosene ) and LOX (liquid oxygen) and only burned for 3.5 minutes producing 160 million horsepower at sea level but didn’t want to describe the event with to much technical data
Yes totally agree these men were extremely brave and we should all admire their bravery.Their bravery was instilled in them when they joined the Airforce, Navy and Marines flying combat missions over Korea, training as test pilots , ejecting out of their seats , trying to land on no engines etc... they were chosen for their previous flying experience for the Mercury program and later in the Gemini program, they trained so well for failures that is removed most of the fear factor out of their consciousness otherwise nobody would volunteer for such a dangerous job
Anyway the book “First Man” is a enthralling read and hopefully the producers of the movie do it justice !!
Old 09-09-2018, 12:47 PM
doug mc

Think of all the people who won't be watching this movie, because they believe there was no landing.
Old 09-09-2018, 12:59 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

I can't wait to see this!

Have watched some great documentaries on Netflix lately - shadow of the moon, last man on the moon etc.

Also really enjoyed "Mars", the part-documentary part-sci-fi series about colonizing Mars.
Old 03-10-2018, 06:54 PM
Hans Tucker (Hans)

Purchased my ticket for next Tuesday...in IMAX. 6 sleeps to go. Loved the Tom Hanks " From The Earth To The Moon" series so I trust this will take the experience to the next level. Neil Armstrong's sons gave this movie the thumbs up.
Old 04-10-2018, 07:59 AM
Madanie7 (Brendan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mc View Post
Think of all the people who won't be watching this movie, because they believe there was no landing.
The earth is also flat....right?
Old 04-10-2018, 08:10 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

+1 Looking forward to this one. Trailer looks good.
Old 04-10-2018, 02:15 PM
astronobob (Bob)
Casual Cosmos Capturer

Sounds & looks quite good. I don't get to movies much tho will make an exception for this one, , and think these space'y shows are more the 'Reality' of life than the other tv capers - Crypeeze, I hate tv, don't watch it much if at all, maybe 10hrs a year, true words, like, we got this flat tv about 7-8yrs agos, took me 2yrs to hook up the antenna to it
Yup, looking forward to this one
Old 05-10-2018, 05:48 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

I'm not sure this is ' gospel ' or not ( as I haven't seen the movie myself yet ) ... told by a person who has seem it .... he reviewed the Movie and watched it from beginning to end.

He never saw an American Flag anywhere in the Movie..

I guess we'll find out when we watch it ourselves.

See if you can remember to look while you watch.

Col...
Old 05-10-2018, 07:33 PM
Stonius (Markus)

I saw it the other day. It's all fake. They shot it on a soundstage in Hollywood. :-D :-D :-D

Okay all kidding aside. I enjoyed it, though I don't know if Gosling's performance is true to the kind of man Armstrong was. I found him so reserved as to be almost numb. The film deals a lot with the stress the program placed on his family, so it's not necessarily a flag-waving patriotism movie - it's more about the man than the endeavour. But the sequences that take place on board the various craft (not giving anything away) are very realistic. If you've seen Damien Chazelle's other movies, you'll know the kind of director he is (Whiplash, La La Land). Even when there is spectacle, it's about the people.

There *is an American flag planted on the moon. You do see it, you just don't see the moment when he actually plants it, for the reasons stated above. It's more about one man's journey, than *mankind's journey, if that makes sense. The stuff that happened on the moon was more about what's going on in his head. When others have seen it I'd like to know whether any of that stuff actually happened or whether it's just good old poetic license to round out the character arcs.

Markus
Old 09-10-2018, 09:32 PM
Hans Tucker (Hans)

Viewed in IMAX

6/10

Well I waited months for this movie...was I disappointed...somewhat. Can a movie that goes for just under 2 1/2 Hrs do justice to a man like Armstrong..IMHO no it can't.

I feel if you don't already know a bit about the Gemini and Apollo events you could get lost in the story.

The flight scenes, rocket launches and space/moon scenes are excellent. The character development and portrayals are the let down.

Was Damien Chazelle and Josh Singer the right choice to turn James R Hansen's book into a movie...I'll leave that for you to decide.

I wonder if Buzz Aldrin has seen this movie...be interesting if he has.
Old 09-10-2018, 10:10 PM
Stonius (Markus)

Do the yanks really pronounce it 'Gemminny'?
Old 10-10-2018, 02:51 PM
Hans Tucker (Hans)

One positive thing I did take from the movie is the theme by Justin Hurwitz title The Landing. Ties in beautifully with the scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcev7yEPeF8
Old 12-10-2018, 02:59 PM
Suzy
Searching for Travolta...

Thanks for your great review Hans .

I've been wandering if this was worth a Gold Class experience- with food, drinks and parking it ends up costing nearly $200 for two people. As we don't go to the movies that often, we spoil ourselves a bit when we do .

I'll eagerly await more reviews.

Shame we don't have an IMAX here in Brisbane.

The upcoming In Saturns Rings (years in the making) will be spectacular on one. It's currently showing in the U.S. but todate is only being shown on IMAX. Sorry to divert from original movie, but this will definitely be worth seeing, the trailer is mind blowing.
Old 12-10-2018, 04:46 PM
Hans Tucker (Hans)

Suzy..go and see it, I think you and others will like it.

I have to agree with Markus assessment of Gosling performance. I think there was more to Neil Armstrong.

I like this documentary on Armstrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD-OcW3Qhjg
Old 12-10-2018, 06:30 PM
mynameiscd (Andy)

Bought "First Man" book the other day and I cant put down.
Its a really good read and its been thoroughly gone through by Neil before it was released by James R Hansen.
Its a real insight into the man and the industry that made the first step possible.

Ive read many books about the apollo craft from technical manuals to first hand accounts, its actually a real passion of mine.
Ive also spent many hours with a realistic flight sim ( orbiter ) doing full moon and back flights with check lists, csm panels that actually work, TLI burns that you have to caculate, docking, undocking, and you can do full manual PDI and decent burns to landing all with realisic obital mechanics.
It takes a bit of setting up but its all open source so you can make your own modules and get a real good working saturn5 with a full working 3 panel CSM with about 60 % of switches that have real input, if you dont hook up the fuel cells to the right bus then the RCS jets dont work etc.
Havent been using orbiter for a few years now because my time is taken up with astronomy but with this book and film i might have to do another mission.

http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/index.html

If this film is half as good as the book then im in.
Cheers
Andy
Old 12-10-2018, 08:58 PM
GrahamL
pro lumen

I liked it a lot and havn't read the book but a a fair amount of history , The portrayal of Neils personality is well differant to what you carry in your mind in regard , though reading of his later life is probably closer to truth than many of us could know .I think overall theres a fair balance in the story line in that it wasn't just one persons journey but many the movie does that justice in spades .

Theres Docus out there that will fill you up with the action ,bells and whistles without doubt , this movie dosn't compete at all and didn't try to .

Worth a night out with food and parking Suzi ? I think so .

Last edited by GrahamL; 12-10-2018 at 09:10 PM.