Old 23-10-2017, 10:22 AM
TareqPhoto (Tareq)

Hi, new member from UAE

Hi all,

My name is Tareq, and i am from United Arab Emirates, i just got into astronomy this year and i am trying to learn from all resources on the net as possible, and someone just recently linked me to this site for something i was asking about, so i hope i can learn something in this site or share in the future once i get something nice/decent by myself.

Thanks,

Tareq
Old 23-10-2017, 11:15 AM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Tareq,
Welcome on board!
What equipment are you currently using?
What's your area of interest?
Old 23-10-2017, 11:16 AM
AstralTraveller (David)

Hi Tareq and welcome aboard. I hope you find the site useful.

I suppose you won't be surprised that I had to use Google Maps to locate your home city! With about 240,000 people it's about the same size as Wollongong but I think that is where the similarities end. This place has hills and rainforest used to grow here.

What is the astronomy scene like over there? We have a couple of astro clubs in town. I imagine that you have clearer skies than us, so that is a plus for you. Because of light pollution we tend to travel out of town to do our deep-sky observing. I imagine that you have similar problems.

Once again - welcome.

David
Old 23-10-2017, 09:11 PM
TareqPhoto (Tareq)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin66 View Post
Tareq,
Welcome on board!
What equipment are you currently using?
What's your area of interest?

Hi Ken,
Thank you very much for welcoming!

There is equipment for terrestrial photography and there is astronomy, so which one of those you are asking equipment about?
I think as long i am in an astro forum then it is about astro equipment, then i have the following:

- Mount: SkyWatcher AZ-EQ6
- Telescope: Skywatcher StarTravel 80 Achro [or as they call it, ST80], my only scope for poor user
- Camera: i will mention only the astro ones, QHY163M, QHY5L-II-M, and ASI120MC which is damaged internally for power issue
- Filters: Astrodon Ha 5nm 1.25", Skywatcher UHC/OIII visual 1.25", Baader Contrast Boost and Neodymium S&M filters 1.25"

Anything else just ask and i will give more details.

What areas of astro i am interest in? Well, i was mainly looking for DSO only, but very quick i added planetary, then i also added solar, lunar isn't a deal because it is very easy to do even with simple camera and i already had enough of the moon, so, i am trying slowly to grow my equipment to cover all these sooner or later, i just started this year [2017] and it sounds i am growing very very faster, many getting what i have in years not in one or less than 1 year, so i hope i am done soon and can spend years with current gear rather than i keep upgrading every year, it is like i pay once, sure there are much much better or more expensive gear out there, so i can't afford too many thing expensive at once, now the only thing in my equipment i need to upgrade, well, let's say to buy new rather than upgrade is more telescopes, so this is my plan for next year.

Forgive my English, it is not my first language as you can see, but spending years using it made me to improve, but the point is that you can understand me and i can communicate enough with you.

Thanks,
Tareq
Old 23-10-2017, 09:21 PM
TareqPhoto (Tareq)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstralTraveller View Post
Hi Tareq and welcome aboard. I hope you find the site useful.

I suppose you won't be surprised that I had to use Google Maps to locate your home city! With about 240,000 people it's about the same size as Wollongong but I think that is where the similarities end. This place has hills and rainforest used to grow here.

What is the astronomy scene like over there? We have a couple of astro clubs in town. I imagine that you have clearer skies than us, so that is a plus for you. Because of light pollution we tend to travel out of town to do our deep-sky observing. I imagine that you have similar problems.

Once again - welcome.

David
Thank you very much, David!

I appreciate your words, so nice from you, and my whole country is like a state or smaller in Australia, so no need to look at map for me country, you barely can see it

Well, about astronomy scene here, you can say the best clearest targets here are, The sun, the moon, and few planets mostly Venus and Jupiter, Saturn can be seen with good bino or telescope, i will try with other planets one day such as Mars and Uranus maybe.

Stars are fine, but not that much as we live in a light pollution urban, but sounds with astronomy equipment i am able to see more than i can visual by my naked eyes, my telescope and cameras can see more, i was surprised and shocked to find out few months ago that i can imaging nebulae or some clusters which are my main interest, last time i tried on the galaxy and sounds i can have it if i spend longer time with long exposures, just i am still learning to have better polar alignment one day soon, most of the time it is just fine for shorter exposures, by luck i can have it good enough for longer up to 3-4 minutes maximum, so i am still doing it, we don't have clouds like you maybe, and we don't have much of rain here, but winter season is coming so we expect those sometimes, only humidity is killing us during summer

Again, i live in a light pollution area, but sounds my house is in less polluted area, red zone, and the excessive light isn't very near to my house, and by midnight or very late nights to the early morning before twilight the sky is really good, i can't say clear as dark sky, but sounds from images I've got, it is not bad, in fact i can see the Pleiades by my naked eyes and Orion constellation too without nebulae, but i really don't care much about DSO visual, i do visual if i want for solar system only, while for DSO i do imaging, and sounds that is fine from what i see then i can enjoy both, and because i am just started out so i will have time for both or more sooner or later.

Thanks again, and clear skies to all of you!

Tareq
Old 24-10-2017, 01:43 PM
kens (Ken)

Welcome to IIS Tareq. I think you are now on all the same forums as me! You'll find a lot in common with the mainly AU folks here: stuff is more expensive than in the US/UK, stuff is harder to get than in the US/UK, we can't polar align on Polaris
Old 24-10-2017, 10:46 PM
TareqPhoto (Tareq)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kens View Post
Welcome to IIS Tareq. I think you are now on all the same forums as me! You'll find a lot in common with the mainly AU folks here: stuff is more expensive than in the US/UK, stuff is harder to get than in the US/UK, we can't polar align on Polaris
Hi,

Thanks!

You are right, my country is expensive with those stuff, and not available mostly, but doesn't matter, the net is my friend and with some clicks and money the items or equipment is on my door.

About polar alignment, i am lucky because i live in North, and my yard is exactly exactly facing the Polaris, let's say my room window is facing North/East, so it is easy for me to polar alignment regardless i don't know how to polar align my mount yet.
Old 25-10-2017, 01:04 PM
gregbradley

Hi Tareq,

We talked on DPReview recently. Good to see you here. Welcome.

You would get some pretty dark skies out in your desert. I went on a desert tour there and there was a light dome from Dubai but
it was still pretty dark overhead. That was about an hour or so out of town.

Greg. (astrophotographer 10).
Old 25-10-2017, 06:00 PM
TareqPhoto (Tareq)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
Hi Tareq,

We talked on DPReview recently. Good to see you here. Welcome.

You would get some pretty dark skies out in your desert. I went on a desert tour there and there was a light dome from Dubai but
it was still pretty dark overhead. That was about an hour or so out of town.

Greg. (astrophotographer 10).
Hi Greg,

Thank you very much in DPR and linking me to here.

I don't like to drive far, and I don't want to go to desert for astronomy, my mount is very very heavy and I don't have bag or case to carry it, so I will just do from my yard, I will accept results from my yard, I did few tests and I was amazed about results regardless they are bad, so I know with better things I will have improved results.

Tareq