Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22-05-2011, 09:11 AM
Benno18 (Ben)
Just cant get enough

Shopping in the USA

Just wondering how/where/if you guys are buying accessories in the USA?
Does it work out cheaper after shipping? Are there any hassles with the companies? Is it REALLY worth it?

Thanks
Benno
Old 22-05-2011, 09:18 AM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benno18 View Post
Does it work out cheaper after shipping? Are there any hassles with the companies? Is it REALLY worth it?

Thanks
Benno
Yes
Yes (or you'd buy locally)
Not usually - sometimes lost in shipping, sometimes delayed, sometimes stuck in Customs
Yes (I've just been quoted $263 on a lens in Australia. Currently looking at purchasing for $183 delivered from a USA retail shop.)
Old 22-05-2011, 10:20 AM
casstony

If I can get the same item here for the US cost + shipping + gst + a little for local service/warranty I buy locally. It's nice to support a local shop that you can walk into and talk to people, not to mention supporting local jobs.

If there is a large discrepancy in price I buy overseas. Remeber to take into account 10% gst + freight company fees if you go over $1000 purchase price. I don't understand why local retailers haven't ganged up against distributors that force big differences in price compared to overseas, but I'm certainly not going to support this practice with my hard earned.

Oceanside Photo and Telescope (OPT) is one of the easier US shops to buy through.
Old 22-05-2011, 10:35 AM
garymck (Gary)

Hi,
I buy locally if the price is close to parity, but often the savings are very worthwhile. I have bought from Alpine Astro, OPT, Hutech in the US and First Light Optics in the UK. In each case the service has been first rate. Each time goods have been here in around 10 days or less using trackable post. Never had an issue. The savings can be very significant and mean the difference between buying or not buying something.
FWIW
Gary
Old 22-05-2011, 10:37 AM
BlackWidow (Mardy)
Seeing Stars

I have purchased a great deal of items from the USA for my scope setup. I have saved S__t loads compared to purchasing from local sellers. Living in Adelaide does not give me a great deal of choice and supporting my local dealer is not a thing I want to do. Apart from one, all the others here should just close down and not bother. For items that are more complex I tend to buy local so I have the backup if thier is a fault. My local purchase point is Bintel and Andrews, as they give second to none service and advice. A great deal can be save however at the moment and it's a good time to take advantage of it. It has not always been this way so we have paid too much for a number of years, so now we get some back. I just puchased some ADM mounts and got them for 1/3 of the price they are here, and that included Del to my door. I do like the idea of supporting local dealers, but my money is short too and difficult to get. If I knew that when they were doing well they would help me out that would seem fair, but that very rarely seems to be the case does it? We still seem to get charge over the top prices..

GO FOR IT!
Old 22-05-2011, 11:11 AM
gregbradley

Its an interesting question. Retailing is going through a shift away from shopfronts to internet sites and delivery through the mail or FEDEX etc.

Those retailers who aren't moving with that face an uncertain and weakening future.

Basically its more of a global market than ever.

I have purchased the bulk of my goods direct from the manufacturer.
These overseas companies also usually provide warranties anyway.
Internet advice is fabulously good like on this site. There is always someone who has solved the same problem as you have and is willing to share the information. The internet is fantastic in that way.

Generally dealing direct with the manufacturer saves a bit. How much varies.

Buying stuff second hand on Astromart saves a lot as well. I have only been ripped off once (it was a lot of money though) and there were a couple of dodgy sales I pulled out of. Due dilligence is the key. Always call them before sending the money unless its a small item or you are dealing with a reputable company. It flushes out anything sus.

Greg.
Old 22-05-2011, 11:53 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Although most of my gear is all second hand I have bought all my new stuff from overseas, not only the US. As Greg mentioned, support is as good as local.
Old 22-05-2011, 04:06 PM
robz (Robert)

Like most have said or will agree, if you can get it here......get it here.

However, we don't have a ''SURPLUS SHED'' and places like that, so sometimes the purchase is made from overseas.

I have done this many times with the odd hard to get item and have had no problem.
Old 22-05-2011, 05:04 PM
CDKPhil
Phil Liebelt

I have just spent a whole lot on a mount and OTA. I thought about buying direct from the US but for the amount of money I have spent, I want someone in Australia to be accountable. I purchased my equipment through Bintel (who have been great). The difference in price once you calculate GST, Customs, and Freight was not much different. I bought some Televue Ethos lenses as well. I was going to get them through OPT but the price worked out the same with Bintel. If you are buying Celestron products that is a different story. There is only one importer for Australia and they seem to want to make a whole lot of money for nothing.
I like to support local business even though the products are from the US, at least I will have local support as well as the internet. It is a shame that there are no Australian manufactures of high end amateur astronomy gear. except for Argo Navis.

Cheers
Phil

Last edited by CDKPhil; 22-05-2011 at 05:08 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 22-05-2011, 07:57 PM
space oddity

Buying overseas is usually cheaper, but there are warranty issues. If it is only a bit more expensive here in OZ, i will buy here to avoid lost in mail or other occasional problems. Items over aus $1,000 including postage and insurance will cop GST. As I also tend to buy second hand if possible, the warranty issue does not apply. Some of the fancier camera lenses tend to be cheaper in the US. Second hand is not always cheaper. Some lenses I have been looking at recently on ebay go for MORE second hand than new through some of the cheaper drop shipping outfits eg DWI . Moral of the story-doest thou homework and ye will reapest thou savings.
Old 22-05-2011, 09:00 PM
DaveO (David)
In Search of Photons

If I can buy it here in Australia, then I do. We have a variety of good suppliers and I have generally found the service to be excellent.

If I can't buy the specific item here in Australia, then I am more than happy to purchase from OS, and have also had great outcomes.

Buying goods from OS (or the grey market) that can be purchased through legitimate distributors here is counter productive. We complain local suppliers are more expensive, but by making it a smaller and smaller market, we guarantee it will never get better. And at the same time we ask them to donate goods and sponsor events!

Second hand is another thing, and one I've used very successfully (buying and selling) here on IIS.

Just my 2.08 US cents!
Old 23-05-2011, 11:11 AM
Benno18 (Ben)
Just cant get enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveO View Post
Just my 2.08 US cents!
Very Clever

Thanks for the advice. Will have a search around. Thanks for the stores as well was having real trouble finding them. Unsure why though

wish me luck!!!

Benno
Old 23-05-2011, 11:20 AM
DaveO (David)
In Search of Photons

Benno

If you listed out the sorts of things you are looking for, I am pretty certain you'll get lots of advice about where to find them!!
Old 23-05-2011, 11:44 AM
HomerJ

There is also a the problem of stock availability here.

I wanted a Nagler 12mm and Bintel did not have it in stock (nor could they give me a date when it would be in stock - "maybe 2 months" is not very helpful). So I ordered from OPT along with 2" Powermate. Both arrived in 8 days for a little less than Bintel price - but for me it was about getting delivery, not price.
Old 23-05-2011, 11:49 AM
EddieDog (Eddie)
Old Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benno18 View Post

Thanks
Benno
Hi Benno, I often buy at B&H New York, even with expensive shipping many items are much cheaper

eddie
Old 23-05-2011, 12:02 PM
robz (Robert)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerJ View Post
There is also a the problem of stock availability here.

I wanted a Nagler 12mm and Bintel did not have it in stock (nor could they give me a date when it would be in stock - "maybe 2 months" is not very helpful). So I ordered from OPT along with 2" Powermate. Both arrived in 8 days for a little less than Bintel price - but for me it was about getting delivery, not price.

Godd point Homer!!!...................I too can't handle the ''out of stock'' senario here.
It's then that I make the decision to buy O.S.............I want it now, not LATER!
Old 23-05-2011, 12:36 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

I finally "spat the dummy" on a ridiculous shipping charge from a US retailer so have decided to try a shipping agent for the first time.

http://www.priceusa.com.au/index.html

http://www.abc.net.au/local/audio/20...01/2942279.htm

I'll let you know how I go.
Old 23-05-2011, 03:59 PM
midnight (Darrin)
Always on the road

Have bought some smaller items from OPT in California. Just about everything in stock. Delivery was about 5 days from the US to regional WA via the cheapest shipping method. Service was excellant. Bought from Victoria and NSW recently and the in stock item took 2 to 3 weeks to arrive . but the service in Australia is equally as good and you can talk to guys (and girls) on the phone to clear up any questions you may have.

If an item is available in Australia for a comparable price (allow + 5% customs duty + 10% GST on top if over AU$1000) I will buy here.
Buying overseas can be risky in that often there is no comeback if things go wrong (or lost!!) Factor in your risk $ in the price savings and there are good competitive prices out there. Good luck

Darrin...
Old 28-05-2011, 01:26 PM
Stigandi (Rob Stinson)

I've bought several items through OPT. In the end, I found the GST, customs, exchange rate brought the cost up close to what it would have been local in Australia. In that case, I'd buy locally, but sometimes it's hard to find the local suppliers stocked with exactly what you need. I'm also starting to use a forwarding service called Bongo. It seems to work fine. It makes it a bit easier to deal with smaller suppliers that want a US address to ship to and their freight charges look like they are cheaper, especially for larger / heavier items.
Old 28-05-2011, 02:16 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by erick View Post
I finally "spat the dummy" on a ridiculous shipping charge from a US retailer so have decided to try a shipping agent for the first time.

http://www.priceusa.com.au/index.html

http://www.abc.net.au/local/audio/20...01/2942279.htm

I'll let you know how I go.
So far, so good. Very smooth process - good communication.