works fine, except that when I try to save the final image to my desktop,
it sends a single unstacked frame [just as it came from the camera] to
the desktop. I've never had anything like this happen on any of my other
computers. Any ideas?
raymo
Old 20-01-2018, 03:56 AM
skysurfer
Dark sky rules !

Do not click 'File => Save', but click on Save image to .... in the left part of the screen.
And, standard it is automatically saved to Autosave.tif.
Old 31-01-2018, 05:32 PM
raymo

Skysurfer,
sorry I took so incredibly long to acknowledge your reply, but
I got so involved with trying to solve this problem that I forgot all about this
post I did.
Nothing I do will make it save the final image, I can only get a single frame. DSS has another crazy problem too. When I click on the first chosen frames they go into DSS just fine, but when I select any further frames my cursor flies up to the top left of the screen.
I have uninstalled DSS and downloaded it again from a different site, but the same things happen.
For now I have gone back to my old slower laptop which still does the job.
raymo
Old 31-01-2018, 07:44 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Unfortunately, I abandoned DSS about 6 years ago. Wouldn't do ANYTHING on 2 of my laptops - continually telling me out of memory (despite having 12GB on one and more on the other), or coming up with the ! only error (no text, no anything but an exclamation mark).

Been happily using CCDStack ever since without a single problem, and stacking DSLR, OSC and mono-LRGB/Ha/SII/OIII...

Not helpful or constructive, just what I experienced. Never tried it since- it may just work on my new system, but since having CCDStack, I don't see the need to try (besides CCDStack takes mere minutes from importing to final image)
Old 31-01-2018, 09:40 PM
raymo

Hi Lewis,
It is quite strange because it has worked just fine on both of my older laptops
for many years, and still does. My new one has Windows 10 [which I loathe
more than mere words can describe]; I don't know if 10 has any issues with DSS. Anyway, I'll give CCDStack a whirl, thanks
for the info.
raymo
Old 01-02-2018, 03:26 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Win10 has been a problem with much of my software - MaxIM DL 5 simply won't work with Win 10 (well, it does, but it won't connect to any camera, despite those cameras being useable in other programs) - there is $500US gone (not sure I ever got my money's worth either!).

I started DSS years ago with an XP desktop, which worked MOST of the time. Then an XP laptop that had the issues, then a Win7 laptop with the issues....
Old 02-02-2018, 10:52 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymo View Post
..... but when I select any further frames my cursor flies up to the top left of the screen......
raymo
That doesn't sound like a DSS problem, I reckon you've got something else on there causing issues. Software issues do not affect hardware in that way. Have you scanned your PC recently with an up to date antivirus ?
Are you a local admin for your PC ? 'Guest' user logons can cause permissions problems preventing functionality.
Old 02-02-2018, 12:43 PM
raymo

Hi Brent, My laptop is only just under four weeks old, and has an up to date antivirus. I have to sign in with a password every time I fire it up, which
is a minor pain in the a--. I'm already sick to death of it shutting down and
rebooting[updates, I presume] when I'm in the middle of doing something.
I'll initiate a scan, and see what it comes up with.
raymo
Old 03-02-2018, 07:27 AM
mynameiscd (Andy)

Hi Raymo
I had problems with DSS crashing randomly until I started using an external drive.
The folder for temp files was in the usual spot c:/windows/temp and because its an old laptop it ran out of ram.
I checked the pagefile and sometimes the files can be about 1.5 gig while its doing its stacking thing.
I know this has nothing to do with you individual problem but I changed the temp folder and the output folder where the autosave.tiff is created to a new folder on my external drive and I haven't had a crash since.
Its not the best place to save files to the desktop, better to create a shortcut to the folder on the desktop.
Maybe win10 is a bit flakey for files created on the desktop?
You have probably already tried these things anyway.
I'm upgrading soon and I can't wait for all the problems ill have with win 10 and my hardware!

Good luck
Andy
Old 03-02-2018, 07:48 AM
glend (Glen)

Well i don't get this at all, DSS is rock solid stable on my WIN8 machine, and does not need an external hard drive to operate just fine. I have stacked hundreds of 24meg files in four different groups in one run and never had any reliability or performance issues, and my laptop is not a high end machine, just an old ACER E5-511.

I suggest WIN10, and all the crap it comes with, is likely your problem.
Old 03-02-2018, 10:56 AM
raymo

Andy, I have been using DSS for many years, and often have as many as 30 or 40 images that I am currently playing with, on my desktop.
I used to get an occasional crash with my earlier machines that had very small amounts of storage.
have to agree with you Glen; as I said earlier, DSS works fine on my
W7 and W8 laptops. It looks like I'll have to continue using my W8 machine,
which is a shame, as it is a much slower comp.
raymo
Old 03-02-2018, 12:54 PM
mynameiscd (Andy)

Hi Raymo
I thought as much you know what you're doing.
Have you tried running a win8 shell inside a vm just to test and maybe it will work.
I used to run an xp shell inside a virtual machine on a win7 laptop to do a recording project's with old hardware.
No drivers for win7 so it was the only way I could run my adat inputs was in a shell and it ran perfectly.
Bit of a run around but I've heard win10 spends 80% of its time looking for updates and trying to fix broken stuff even if its not broke.
Well maybe not 80% but a fair bit of resources and also forcing coders to rewrite new code around a flakey os.
Thats what I used to like about xp, you could do a stripped down version that boots in seconds and runs smoothly with under 20 processes running.
I might have get out my slr and kodacrome and reminisce about the old days.

Good luck
Andy
Old 03-02-2018, 02:12 PM
raymo

Thanks for the suggestions Andy, but you are quite wrong; I am an octogenarian who struggled to learn enough about using comps to allow
me to do simple image processing, emails, and such like, so your
suggestions are way above my pay grade; I don't even know what a shell is.
I have to say that I found XP my favourite from W95 through to the
present day. W10 was designed by a lunatic. You can't stop the never ending
updates. It shuts down at least every day or two when I'm in the middle of
doing something, which I then have to start over again, even though I have
set to show my usual operating times so that it will hopefully do the updates
when it is hibernating. I also find that if I click to show my password entry window too soon when booting up, it freezes, and I have to force shutdown,
and start again.:mad2 :
raymo
Old 03-02-2018, 07:07 PM
luka
Unregistered User

Raymo, set your network connection as metered and disable updates over metered connections. It will stop downloading updates.
Old 03-02-2018, 07:56 PM
raymo

Luka, that was suggested to me early on in the piece, so I did that,
and the updates stopped, but then I couldn't download anything larger
than emails; I just kept getting a small window saying that I couldn't
download the particular item on a metered connection, so every time I wanted to download anything I would have to revert to the original setting, which would be inconvenient to say the least. The b----y thing has
rebooted twice today, thank goodness I wasn't in the middle of processing an image.
raymo
Old 03-02-2018, 09:30 PM
JimsShed (Jim)

I suspect your problem is due to a file permissions constraint in Win 10 as by default it has heavier restrictions than previous versions. One of the things I noticed is that Win 10 usually stops you saving files in to folders under Program Files or into a folder (and sub folders) directly off the root of C drive unless you right click on that folder and explicitly allow read/write etc. Alternatively if you set you apps data folder to be any folder under your users/[username] folder then it’s open slather. I suspect DSS can’t save the folder to your set destination and as a fallback writes it to the desktop.
Old 03-02-2018, 10:22 PM
raymo

Hi Jim,
I have two distinct problems only, with DSS. Apart from these two problems DSS works just fine.
Firstly, when importing images into DSS, I can import the first eight images
with no trouble; when I try to continue importing images by clicking on the next batch, the window containing the images goes blue, and scrolls instantly
back to the first eight images, and simultaneously my mouse cursor moves
up to the top left corner of the screen faster than the eye can follow.
The second problem is that when I save the image to the desktop as I have
always done, it saves a single unaltered [as it came out of the camera]
frame, instead of the final stacked and finished image.
raymo
Old 04-02-2018, 06:31 AM
kens (Ken)

Possibly a memory issue? I’d try running a Memtest
Old 04-02-2018, 10:20 AM
mynameiscd (Andy)

Hi Raymo
I too was forced into becoming a computer tech years ago when I started my recording studio and went digital.
I had to learn windows back to front and beat my pc into submision so it could store 24 audio files at once and be able to recall them during playback.
You can probably still hear my cursing echoing around the world years later as really good projects were lost into the ones and noughts of the digital abyss never to come back.
Sorry about assuming that you know what a Virtual Machine is
Heres a simply explanation

"What Is a Virtual Machine?
A virtual machine is a software computer that, like a physical computer, runs an operating system and applications. The virtual machine is comprised of a set of specification and configuration files and is backed by the physical resources of a host. Every virtual machine has virtual devices that provide the same functionality as physical hardware and have additional benefits in terms of portability, manageability, and security".

Its a bit of a complicated setup but its always worked for me.
You think you should be able to buy a new laptop and install programs you paid for and there should be no issues rather than having constant problems like you are having.
I had similar problems like you have and its always comes back to security and network issues and windows trying to fix whats actually not broken in the background.

I'm going to be setting up my studio at my new house and the first thing is a dedicated pc with a fresh install of xp (barebones version) and this pc does not connect to the Internet!
I know I'm living in the dark ages but why fix something thats not broke.

I use DSS at the moment on a 15 year old xp laptop with no issues other than a bit slow due to the old cpu.

I hope you get this annoying problem fixed which is wrong really for a new machine.
Good luck
Andy
Old 04-02-2018, 11:45 AM
raymo

Ken, I can't imagine why it should be a memory problem, I have 8g of RAM,
and 1Tb of memory, of which I have used less than 10%. My old machines have far less memory, and DSS works just fine on them,[but slower, of course].

Thanks Andy, I think I'll go back to using my W8 laptop.

Last edited by raymo; 04-02-2018 at 11:48 AM. Reason: more text