Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Astrophotography

Old 15-06-2019, 01:26 AM
luka
Unregistered User

I don't think that the lines are real. Have a look at this image for example, it has no lines.
Old 15-06-2019, 08:31 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Great thread.
I thought I had commented on how impressed I was with your images Tony I see that I have not but let me say now I am very impressed with your images.
I am setting up two mounts so I can run the 80mm and the eight and ran into the realisation that I needed another zwo but looking at your results gives me hope that I could use my nikon if it was modded...but how☺.
Anyways very nice images.
Alex
Old 15-06-2019, 11:11 AM
casstony

Quote:
Originally Posted by luka View Post
I don't think that the lines are real. Have a look at this image for example, it has no lines.
Yeah I had a look at Astrobin and couldn't find anything similar. I need to get more exposures and try drizzle again.
I drizzled the Liberty image and there were no similar lines on it.

Sometime I'll figure out batch processing on PI and deal with R channel extraction before stacking.

Last edited by casstony; 15-06-2019 at 11:26 AM.
Old 15-06-2019, 11:23 AM
casstony

Thanks for the kind words Alex. I'm a bit slack myself in that regard, though I do look at most of the images here.

Which model Nikon do you have? The d5500 and d5600 are relatively easy to self modify by following the Lifepixel guide, though younger eyes and steady hands are helpful with the tiny parts.

Here are the other two images with red channel extraction, Liberty about 1.5 hours and Lobster 1 hour.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Libertyfinal_R_ABE.jpg10%.jpg)
207.1 KB18 views
Click for full-size image (lobster_R.tif r extract.jpg10%.jpg)
200.3 KB17 views
Old 15-06-2019, 11:33 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Really nice images I am most impressed.
I have the D5500 Nikon so its nice to hear that I may be able to do it...so I better get started before I become old and unsteady☺ I am going for a cateract opperation in twelve months but I hope to get it done before that☺.
There is just so much to do but I will start looking into it...must be stuff on youtube for starters that may give me a feel for it in general.
Alex
Old 15-06-2019, 11:53 AM
casstony

Here's the guide Alex: https://www.lifepixel.com/tutorials/...rsion-tutorial

In hindsight, I have additional comments:

- mark the 3 screws holding the chip assembly before unscrewing them and count how many turns they unscrew, so they can be put back in the same position. I neglected to do this and just screwed the chip all the way down - it seems to be square.

- in step 7, the wide cable is released at both ends by flipping up a part on the connector.

- In step 8, the square silver holder has clips on the opposite side - press the clips inwards to pop the holder out to access the chip and remove the filter.

- I removed the filter and didn't replace it with anything. It's easier to clean the chip while it's out of the camera body. Thereafter a puffer is enough to remove any dust.

- I didn't de-solder the filter cleaning cable, just cut it with scissors; the end is hanging in mid air, not contacting anything.

- I did wear an anti-static wrist strap.

Last edited by casstony; 15-06-2019 at 12:13 PM.
Old 15-06-2019, 12:35 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Thanks for all the guidance Tony.
I almost have nothing to lose in so far as I only purchased the camera for astro and having purchased the zwo the Nikon does not get any use...if I stuff it it would be sad but not the end of the world ... these days I only take snaps on the phone which are good enough for my purposes.
Anyways thanks for putting up your images and getting me thinking about the prospects.
And looking at your recent images I must say I would be very happy if I could do as well.
Alex
Old 15-06-2019, 04:17 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I notice that they, Lifepixel, will do the conversion for a fee...which may be the way for me to go...I must look and see where they are and if they are tking US dollars...lots to look into...
What should I get..full spectrum or Ha...I know nothing yet....but paying someone on such a job would be ok as I have enough to do and it seems perhaps a challenge I should avoid...I guess one would have everything removed and get some clip in filtures for ha o and s...anyways it is encouraging to think I can avoid a second zwo...which I probably would not do...8 inch rasa first☺ heck I need another box and mount☺
Alex
Old 15-06-2019, 05:05 PM
casstony

The problem with paying for the modification is the cost relative to the price of the camera.
Camera clinic in Melbourne charges about $540 with postage while Lifepixel in the US costs more by the time you include postage.

Ha modification might be handy if you want to use lenses for wide angle without having to worry about filters. Otherwise there's not a lot of difference between Ha and full spectrum. Camera Clinic only does full spectrum unless you supply the filter. With FS you need to use at least a UV/IR filter if you're not using other filters.

https://www.cameraclinic.com.au/inde...fications#full spectrum
Old 16-06-2019, 12:19 PM
casstony

Quote:
Originally Posted by luka View Post
I accidently left drizzle selected for the 6188 image at first and the lines appeared across the image (along with bizarre colours) so the 'extra features' in post #18 were definitely false.