Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 18-09-2010, 01:15 AM
epistle
I wonder what goes here..

Brain fried, but you can help!

I'd say hi everybody...but I hate that Dr. Nick has entered the common vernacular, so i'll just say good morning.

I've done it, i've reached that point where I can no longer read another forum post, website or thought provoking piece on what equipment to buy so like many before me i'm coming out of the shadows and joining a forum to ask for help.

Firstly, I never do anything lightly. After heeding many opinions from people across the globe i've decided, nope, i'm not going to buy a $500 starter. I'm not even going to buy myself the $1000 - good lord you're a crazy person you should check out binoculars first - kind of telescope. No, i've decided i'd be quite happy to splash $2500 down because that's just who I am and i'm not going to fight it any longer.

I could tell you that i've thought about a Celestron 8SE or a Meade LXD-75 but I honestly don't remember why anymore...

Yeah this is starting to sound long isn't it...to the point post haste.

Opinions please - even the good lord you're a crazy person ones are most welcome. You learn the most by treating everyone as a teacher!

You have $2500 to spend, on a telescope and associated gear. You have retrospect and wisdom holstered this time around! You own a nifty fifty, 100mm f2.8 USM and a couple other awesome lenses with a Canon 40D. You're looking to move your love of photography and late nights toward the heavens. You want to peer through that eye piece just as much as you want to capture it for those that aren't able to peer. You're on page 3587 of 4,654,254 on that Google search for astronomy and astrophotography...you pass out.

Good citizens of IceInSpace, mend my brain!

Long term plans - remove asbestos from old shed in back yard, turn into granny flat with 4m2 viewing platform beneath retractable roof section for future stupidly expensive scope - definitely a bar fridge - seriously though, i'm done holding off waiting for that dream to manifest, all in good time. But what about what I can do now...

Incidentally...i'm 45km's north of Brisbane, it's not by any means halfway between Winton and Longreach but it's enough to cut most of Brisbane's Lumen Lust out.

I need to stop here. On with the poll!
Old 18-09-2010, 06:36 AM
Alchemy (Clive)
Quietly watching

2500 and looking to move into astrophotography.....
My choice would be ( second hand for budgetary purposes) an eq6pro with an ed80 refractor, if a Williams optics came up cheap I'd get that ( note I picked up a nice 2nd hand one a few weeks back), a really cheap guide scope and some kind of webcam for guiding..... I would prefer a better guide camera such as an imaging source but your budget is limited. A field flattener for the ed80 and you are good to go. I would start piggyback imaging first.

If you buy 2nd hand you can resell without taking a hit to your pocket when you get bigger or more expensive scopes. There are some wonderful scopes such as a tak FSQ 106 , but these will destroy your budget before you start. So start simple and work up, the eq6 will take a 10 inch reflector at the larger end of it's range so it has plenty of room to move.

You could buy a reflector if you wanted, but for simplicity I'd go the refractor to start with.

Last edited by Alchemy; 18-09-2010 at 06:38 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 18-09-2010, 12:30 PM
acropolite (Phil)

I agree with Clive, spend the $2500 on an entry level (but adequate) mount; either HEQ5 or better still an EQ6 and a cheap scope for guiding purposes together with some form of autoguider.
IMO You would be better off to buy everything bar the ED80 then use the mount to take widefields with your existing camera/Lens base then add the afformentioned ED80 at a later stage.

If you're technically inclined you can use the EQ6 with a Laptop instead of buying the Synscan option (the EQmod interface). Your budget may then get you close to including an ED80 (which to get best results from will need a reducer/field flattener.)

Andrews comms lists the NEQ6Pro at $1599,
Bintel have 80mm guidescope packages for $279
A Qhy5 or Orion Starshoot autoguider will set you back around $380
There will be other bit's you'll need, side by side saddle, dew straps & controller etc.

Andrews also list packages of HEQ5 and ED80 or ED100 or ED120 for $1899 , $2099 and $2899 including synscan (goto) You would need to add to this a reducer flattener (around $400) and Guide camera and smaller scope for autoguiding (allow around $700) and a side by side saddle or similar.
Old 18-09-2010, 01:47 PM
Mountain_Wanderer

Bigger ain't better. It's the way you use it
Old 18-09-2010, 05:35 PM
leon

No mate, that is not quite correct, spend the money on the mount, the bigger, and sturdier, the better, then buy the scope.

Leon
Old 18-09-2010, 06:51 PM
Alchemy (Clive)
Quietly watching

Some good advice, and by consensus go with the dslr alone for the time being, there are some quite good ...... No .....awesome images taken just with a camera and lenses out there, after all a lens is it's own scope in a way. You will need a guide scope and guider, if you stuck to shorter focal lengths (600 and lower) then the heq5 should be adequate. I've always preferred overkill in the mount dept, I shoot 924 mm with a g11, You could have a look at "dugnsuz" for his camera work as he only shoots a camera and lens, he used to use a heq5 .... Not sure if he has a bigger mount now, AND he got published in his local paper more than once, so there's plenty of opportunities for you.
Old 19-09-2010, 02:52 PM
epistle
I wonder what goes here..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemy View Post
Some good advice, and by consensus go with the dslr alone for the time being...
Absolutely true, and I don't for a second discount this train of thought. However, I wish to do as much sight seeing as possible as well as taking happy snaps.

One thing I keep doing, and this might be useful for others looking at a first purchase, is scouring the classifieds looking at what people are selling and what they're upgrading to. There's a few bread trails regarding how long they've kept their original equipment which i'm finding fascinating.

Andrews Comm have a 2nd hand EQ6Pro going for $1349 at present - although i'm not sure how long that will last!

I had a bit of frustration the other night, vented, but I think I will continue taking my sweet time with this. My thoughts are around the 6 months period when most seem to upgrade and it's at this point I see myself sliding in. Most of my shopping is done with the thought to not have to upgrade for at least 2 years.

Awesome advice people, keep spending that imaginary $2500!