Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Old 01-02-2008, 06:54 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Review: Refractor and Focal Reducer Trials

Hi all

Paul Russell ([1ponders]) has written a very informative review comparing a number of focal reducers in combination with his ED80, titled Refractor and Focal Reducer Trials.

You can read the review on the IceInSpace Reviews page, or directly by clicking on the link below:

Refractor and Focal Reducer Trials

Thanks to Paul for writing the review. If you'd like to submit an article or review to IceInSpace, please contact me.

Last edited by iceman; 01-02-2008 at 08:19 AM.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:19 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Review uploaded.
Old 08-10-2008, 09:31 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

This is an excellent review and I can't believe no-one's commented on it! I found it to be very helpful.

I never had any luck with a Meade 0.63x focal reducer when I had my 8" LX90 LNT.

Would the new version III William Optics focal reducer/field flattener be any good with an Orion ED80 (Saxon, actually, but, both taste like pineapple), or is it designed for larger aperture scopes? Should I just stick with the version II?

I will be imaging with a Canon EOS-350D.

Thanks for the great work, Paul.

Regards,
Humayun
Old 08-10-2008, 10:06 PM
Astrod00d
Lost In SPace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane View Post
This is an excellent review and I can't believe no-one's commented on it! I found it to be very helpful.

Would the new version III William Optics focal reducer/field flattener be any good with an Orion ED80 (Saxon, actually, but, both taste like pineapple), or is it designed for larger aperture scopes? Should I just stick with the version II?

I will be imaging with a Canon EOS-350D.

Thanks for the great work, Paul.

Regards,
Humayun
Yes, indeed it's a great review and I've found it very useful. Thank you Paul for your great effort and thanks to Humayun for reminding us of it!

I did try the WO pflat III with my ED80 and I found that it overcorrected. The corner stars looked like little crosses.
Now I have a pflat II which seems to work better with the ED80 (but I haven't used it much since I got the 127mm APO)

Cheers,

Rob
Old 08-10-2008, 10:19 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Rob,

Thanks for that! I'll save myself the $100 (approximately) and get the version II.

Cheers.

Regards,
Humayun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrod00d View Post
Yes, indeed it's a great review and I've found it very useful. Thank you Paul for your great effort and thanks to Humayun for reminding us of it!

I did try the WO pflat III with my ED80 and I found that it overcorrected. The corner stars looked like little crosses.
Now I have a pflat II which seems to work better with the ED80 (but I haven't used it much since I got the 127mm APO)

Cheers,

Rob
Old 09-10-2008, 09:06 AM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

Thanks guys. You're right about the III Rob, there are over-correction issues with it and the ED80.