Old 02-07-2020, 10:51 AM
jayconnor (Jay)

summer time

Hey everyone,

Im relatively new to this so i have only been targeting deep space objects during the winter. My question is during the summer " warmer months " is there good objects to target in the night sky? Is it is a case of winter has more range then summer?
Old 02-07-2020, 10:58 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Jay
Some good advice
Download a copy of the planetarium “Stellarium” on your laptop ( it’s free )and you can see what’s up there any time , every night of the year , year after year
You can also use for Goto functions for your mount ( eg EQMOD for Skywatcher and Orion mounts )
Martin
Old 03-07-2020, 01:18 AM
LostInSp_ce
Unregistered User

Hi Jay here's a top 3 of the obvious ones.

1. NGC 3372 - Eta Carinae Nebula, it's big it's bright, it's high and it's probably the easiest to start with.
2. Messier 42 - The Orion Nebula, everyone does it, but there's a reason why. It's a great target.
3. Barnard 33 - The Horsehead and Flame Nebula, it's trickier than the other two but by far more rewarding. It's one of the most attractive things up there.
Old 03-07-2020, 08:47 AM
jahnpahwa (JP)

Hey Jay, I'm also keen to tune into the seasonality of things.

M78 is something I'm really psyched to have a go at, and also looking forward to the veil nebula and andromeda being up a bit earlier.

I've got to scope out somewhere with a decent north horizon.
Old 04-07-2020, 09:53 AM
jayconnor (Jay)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInSp_ce View Post
Hi Jay here's a top 3 of the obvious ones.

1. NGC 3372 - Eta Carinae Nebula, it's big it's bright, it's high and it's probably the easiest to start with.
2. Messier 42 - The Orion Nebula, everyone does it, but there's a reason why. It's a great target.
3. Barnard 33 - The Horsehead and Flame Nebula, it's trickier than the other two but by far more rewarding. It's one of the most attractive things up there.

yeah thanks for that.
Old 09-07-2020, 01:57 PM
Krypt0 (Adri)

Number of objects available for imaging aside (thanks for recommending them), For those like myself who don't have actively cooled cameras like CCD's we suffer from high amounts of noise due to warmer sensor temperatures.

Taking photos with a Canon EoS Ra in North Queensland during the summer may not be very practical unless you can keep the camera cool

I remember trying to image the Aurora Australis along the Great Ocean Road a while ago on a classic Canon EoS 5D and after 2-3 images of 30+ seconds, I was seeing a magenta/purple haze to the right of my images.

Edit: I guess I'm not really answering your question on object availability, but just something I noticed during summer which may limit what I do compared to winter.
Old 09-07-2020, 02:01 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Lots of goodies on the northern horizon in Summer particularly in the orion area. Zenith has a lot of good stuff as well. Southern horizon is always interesting regardless of season as a lot of DSOs are circumpolar anyway. But Orion is the best I reckon. Monoceros, Taurus, etc... If you're courageous you can have a go at Andromeda and Triangulum galaxies, bit of Cygnus, etc...