Old 20-07-2008, 08:07 AM
NQLD_Newby
Clear Skys and Open Road

Long time too busy

Hi all,
It's been a long while since I've had a chance to post. Life just keeps getting busier. Anyway I had the chance to have an obs session last night so I took it. I even got out the trusty IIS obs reports and filled a couple out. Thanks for reading.

Date:19-07-08
Time:7.30 PM
Instrument: 4.5" f5 reflector
Conditions: Scattered cloud
Seeing: 6/10
Transparency: 6/10
Eyepieces: 17mm LVW, 5mm LVW, GSO 2 x Barlow
Filters: None

M104 Sumbrero Galaxy
The just past full moon was rising in the east. Looked up and found Corvus. popped the 17mm LVW and pointed the scope in the general direction. Using the diagonal stars (bottom left, and top right of corvus) i judged approximately where M104 should be. Moved the scope around a little until I found the four stars that make the "L" shape pointer I use to find it.

There it was, at first appearing like a general brightened area, which was more prominent with slight movement of the scope. With averted vision a definate elongation was visible.

Popped in the 5mm LVW, lost too much light, i could still see it but it was very dim and any form of shape was lost.

Swapped the 5 out for the GSO 2 x barlow and the 17MM LVW. This was the best view of the three. A little dimmer than it was without the barlow but the extra mag made up for it.

Still no dust lane visible, but at times it took on an almost semi-circle shape. Like the bottom half was covered over by a piece of paper and only the top half was visible. This was probably the best view I have had of this object. I can't wait till the next new moon to try again and see what I can get. By this stage the moon was getting too bright and starting to interfere with the view, so I turned the scope and looked at brighter objects.

IIS report and sketch attached. thanks for reading.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (M104obs 19-07-08.jpg)
142.7 KB31 views
Click for full-size image (M104 19-07-08.jpg)
137.7 KB36 views
Old 20-07-2008, 04:36 PM
ngcles
The Observologist

Hi Rex & All,

Good report mate and I particularly liked the sketch which showed the galaxy and the field stars well for the aperture you are using.

Well done.

Best,

Les D
Old 20-07-2008, 05:38 PM
Rob_K

Nice report Rex - great drawings too! M104 seems to take a bit of extra magnification in small scopes - you should be able to see the dark lane in better conditions (dark sky, no moon). Cloudy/rainy weather persisting here so these reports are all I've got, LOL! Thanks for posting!

Cheers -

Rob
Old 20-07-2008, 06:17 PM
JethroB76 (Jeff)

good work; I really enjoy these reports with sketches - something I should get around to one day
Old 22-07-2008, 08:48 AM
glenc (Glen)
star-hopper

Well done Rex, especially considering the size of your scope and the moon rising.
Old 25-07-2008, 03:39 PM
§AB
Its only a column of dust

First observation report since I was born it seems! Nice interpretation of the Sombero, jaws and Stargate! I have a 4.5" aswell, but these days its pretty much out of commission.

4.5 inchers can be useful for galaxy hunting, lots of good galaxies in the early morning sky these days for your aperture range.
Old 25-07-2008, 10:33 PM
NQLD_Newby
Clear Skys and Open Road

Thanks guys. I really enjoyed this night. As stated earlier was the first real obs session for quite q while.