Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Deep Space
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2019, 06:35 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slawomir View Post

Thank you Mike - perhaps I over-dramatized a bit...
..I recon you where just being facetious and a smart arse, knowing full well it was a hum dinger of an image

Mike
Old 09-09-2019, 06:56 PM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

Diminishing returns to be expected Sauvi, even with this much data. You'd have to keep doubling to see much improvement?

However, as many others have said, its a stunning image. Definitely NOT a fail!
Old 09-09-2019, 07:43 PM
codemonkey (Lee)
Lee "Wormsy" Borsboom

Sensational, Suavi. A monster effort. Yes, you've clearly made it well into diminishing returns but at least you can be confident that you've squeezed as much out of this one as you can with your rig / skies.

And here I was being (a tiny bit) proud that I finally cracked 20hrs of data on one target. Ha.
Old 10-09-2019, 02:50 PM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

We're going to need a badge for the Ice in Space avatar - anyone who has imaged a target > 100hrs gets the badge of honour!
Old 10-09-2019, 04:55 PM
gregbradley

Thank you Greg. Is this the image you are taking about? I can quite easily see much more faint detail in the image taken with my guide scope [/QUOTE]

No this one:

https://pbase.com/gregbradley/image/150551764/large excuse the over the top colour. Yours probably has finer and a bit more detail but the point really is the power of aperture on imaging time.

Greg.
Old 10-09-2019, 05:07 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Ohhh nonsense Suavi, its so full of detail and depth...no need to feel its anything but superb.
Bigjoe.
Old 10-09-2019, 06:31 PM
Slawomir (Suavi)

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
..I recon you where just being facetious and a smart arse, knowing full well it was a hum dinger of an image

Mike
But I honestly was disappointed at first. Promise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobF View Post
Diminishing returns to be expected Sauvi, even with this much data. You'd have to keep doubling to see much improvement?

However, as many others have said, its a stunning image. Definitely NOT a fail!
Thank you Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by codemonkey View Post
Sensational, Suavi. A monster effort. Yes, you've clearly made it well into diminishing returns but at least you can be confident that you've squeezed as much out of this one as you can with your rig / skies.

And here I was being (a tiny bit) proud that I finally cracked 20hrs of data on one target. Ha.
20hrs is heaps, especially when a skilled astrophotographer like you processes the data

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobF View Post
We're going to need a badge for the Ice in Space avatar - anyone who has imaged a target > 100hrs gets the badge of honour!
That would be nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
Thank you Greg. Is this the image you are taking about? I can quite easily see much more faint detail in the image taken with my guide scope
No this one:

https://pbase.com/gregbradley/image/150551764/large excuse the over the top colour. Yours probably has finer and a bit more detail but the point really is the power of aperture on imaging time.

Greg.[/QUOTE]

Love the colours Greg. I agree that aperture helps, but I still think that my 24hr simple stack n stretch shows more of the faint stuff, which is a bit surprising, given that your 17" collect nearly 20 times as many photons as my 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjoe View Post
Ohhh nonsense Suavi, its so full of detail and depth...no need to feel its anything but superb.
Bigjoe.
Glad you like it Joe.
Old 10-09-2019, 07:38 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Quote:
But I honestly was disappointed at first. Promise.
Ha!....closely followed by the sliiightly deeper Placidus Observatory 72hr effort (), overall, it's probably the best Ha image of the Helix I've seen

Mike
becoming an unashamed Coleslawomir fanboy....
Old 10-09-2019, 08:02 PM
rustigsmed (Russell)

looks nice and smooth to me Suavi, great dedication!

Russ
Old 10-09-2019, 08:40 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Quote:
Thank you Greg. Is this the image you are taking about? I can quite easily see much more faint detail in the image taken with my guide scope
I have 40 hours of h-alpha Helix data taken with my 305mm F3.8 AP-honders....(back of the envelope...about 270 hours worth through a 4 inch aperture)

But I didn't get the same level of detail in the faint chevrons....

Don't know how you do it. Your star sizes are even smaller than M&T's 20" CDK data.

Quite amazing really.
Old 11-09-2019, 09:59 AM
Slawomir (Suavi)

Thank you very much for such nice feedback and encouragement Mike, Russ and Peter.

I think if I used a 5nm instead of a 3nm Ha filter, I would have gotten a good SNR a tad sooner. Overall not bad for a 4" from a tropical coastal town.

Bad news is that my PC with all Helix data has died last night - hopefully the hard drive is okay, as I have not backed all of the data

While the PC is being repaired, I started collecting SII last night. Not much signal in there, but will try to get a few nights worth of SII. The Helix is right next to the bright one in the sky over the next week, so may need to wait a bit and hopefully the skies will remain clear in the coming weeks, as well as my data will hopefully get recovered from the malfunctioned PC
Old 11-09-2019, 10:42 AM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Quote:
Bad news is that my PC with all Helix data has died last night - hopefully the hard drive is okay, as I have not backed all of the data
That doesn’t sound good at all Suavi :/
I had a similar scare last year and lost a bit of data off my first backup drive but managed to recover most of the data.
Old 11-09-2019, 01:29 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Quote:

Oh crap! ...fingers crossed

Mike
Old 11-09-2019, 02:20 PM
Paul Haese

Well that is deeper than my Ha effort of 50 odd hours. Those very outer chevrons are well defined in your image, not so in my data. I would say 50 hours more makes a significant difference Suavi. If you like you can use my data to add to yours. Mine is from my FSQ.

On my screen the lower area is just showing too. I would imagine there is more detail lurking there. Another another hundred hours and that is going to be one hell of an image. Outstanding image of this target with the current 100 hours.
Old 11-09-2019, 07:08 PM
Slawomir (Suavi)

Thank you Paul for your feedback and a very kind offer - my PC with all of the Helix data is being repaired, so at the moment I'm just waiting for the news, good hopefully. It would be interesting for sure to see what can be squizzed out of the combined 4" data.