Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Deep Space

Old 02-09-2019, 06:59 PM
codemonkey (Lee)
Lee "Wormsy" Borsboom

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
Fabulous image Lee, I tend to agree with Greg about the colours but otherwise it looks great, well done, enjoyed the view .

I was up in far North QLD last week, 3hrs drive west of Cairns, under dry Bortle 1 skies with a 24" F4.2 Dob (The Milky Way cast an obvious shadow and the Gegenshein and the rarely seen faint zodical bridge were easy to see all night) and this mighty galaxy looked absolutely incredible and almost blindingly bright, the detail in the disc was like a 5min Luminance sub through say, an 8" scope? ..I looked hard but couldn't convince myself of being able to see the faint perpendicular dust streams that rise from the middle 50% of the disc, and visible in your shot, but a number of star knots and dust lanes were quite noticable as was the barred spiral like shape. The central atar in the Ring Nebula was visible without averted vision and I comfortably tracked down several 16.5mag galaxies in Aquarius using the Argo Navis and could have gone fainter but didn't have any fainter references ...needless to say, t'was an incredible 3 clear nights of viewing!!
Thanks Mike :-) Had noticed you'd been a bit quiet. Sounds like you had a great time. I've hardly even looked through a scope... I had a quick look at the moon with my first scope (Skywatched BD ED80) but that's about it. Posts like yours almost make me want to buy an eyepiece or two...
Old 02-09-2019, 07:21 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by codemonkey View Post
Thanks Mike :-) Had noticed you'd been a bit quiet. Sounds like you had a great time. I've hardly even looked through a scope... I had a quick look at the moon with my first scope (Skywatched BD ED80) but that's about it. Posts like yours almost make me want to buy an eyepiece or two...
I do enjoy visual observing and have a reasonably good knowledge of the night sky (worked in a public observatory for over 10 years ). It is more tangible than imaging and allows real connection with the night sky and Universe in general, gives your imaging more relevance I recon ...do try it

Mike
Old 03-09-2019, 06:23 AM
gregbradley

Quote:
Fabulous image Lee, I tend to agree with Greg about the colours but otherwise it looks great, well done, enjoyed the view .

I was up in far North QLD last week, 3hrs drive west of Cairns, under dry Bortle 1 skies with a 24" F4.2 Dob (The Milky Way cast an obvious shadow and the Gegenshein and the rarely seen faint zodical bridge were easy to see all night) and this mighty galaxy looked absolutely incredible and almost blindingly bright, the detail in the disc was like a 5min Luminance sub through say, an 8" scope? ..I looked hard but couldn't convince myself of being able to see the faint perpendicular dust streams that rise from the middle 50% of the disc, and visible in your shot, but a number of star knots and dust lanes were quite noticable as was the barred spiral like shape. The central atar in the Ring Nebula was visible without averted vision and I comfortably tracked down several 16.5mag galaxies in Aquarius using the Argo Navis and could have gone fainter but didn't have any fainter references ...needless to say, t'was an incredible 3 clear nights of viewing!!

I believe that would have been one Brad Moore and his remarkable keyhole image was taken with his new 12.5 RCOS, it featured on APOD back in early 2006 I think?...and to this day is still a benchmark amateur image of the Keyhole really he also did a deep and detailed wider field Tarantula too, over 30hrs if I recall...not a common practice back then he had just got a new PME and I think was waiting for his RCOS so whacked a small Tak or something on it in the meantime

Mike
Yes, that's right it was Brad Moore. I think he went on to work for iTelescope or similar.

Greg.
Old 04-09-2019, 08:14 AM
codemonkey (Lee)
Lee "Wormsy" Borsboom

Got some more data (bringing it to a hair over 20hrs, which is my longest integration ever) and reprocessed it. I think the colour is way better now.
Old 04-09-2019, 09:04 AM
strongmanmike (Michael)

It's perhaps a little blue for some?.. but I like it a little blue

An excellent NGC 253 Lee, well done

Mike
Old 04-09-2019, 09:16 AM
codemonkey (Lee)
Lee "Wormsy" Borsboom

Quote:
It's perhaps a little blue for some?.. but I like it a little blue

An excellent NGC 253 Lee, well done

Mike
Thanks Mike :-)

I sometimes find that I spend a while processing an image, it looks good but then I go back to it a few days later and think my god, what did I do? Maybe this will be one of those times. Maybe not You say it's too blue; do you think it needs more green, or more red, or both? Or do you mean to say it's too saturated, as opposed to the colour balance being off?

I've made a pretty subtle colour adjustment, pulling the blue back very slightly. I think it's an improvement.
Old 04-09-2019, 09:23 AM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by codemonkey View Post
Thanks Mike :-)

I sometimes find that I spend a while processing an image, it looks good but then I go back to it a few days later and think my god, what did I do? Maybe this will be one of those times. Maybe not You say it's too blue; do you think it needs more green, or more red, or both?
I was thinking more red but as I said I like it as it is too

A past NGC 253 of mine was a top 5 finalist in the ROG APOTY and it was very blue I would process it differently now, so who knows as long as it still looks good and yours does

Mike
Old 04-09-2019, 09:39 AM
codemonkey (Lee)
Lee "Wormsy" Borsboom

Quote:
I was thinking more red but as I said I like it as it is too

A past NGC 253 of mine was a top 5 finalist in the ROG APOTY and it was very blue I would process it differently now, so who knows as long as it still looks good and yours does

Mike
Thanks again :-) I've boosted the red a touch now, which I think is better too.
Old 04-09-2019, 10:58 AM
Geoff45 (Geoff)
PI rules

Nice rendition Lee. Up there with the best.
As an aside, I was interested to see the difference between the high res image on Astrobin and the one with the tech details. There is a double star on the upper edge of the galaxy which provides a good gauge of detail. It’s clear on the high res image but pretty blurry on the low res one.

Geoff
Old 04-09-2019, 01:33 PM
vlazg (George)

For only 4.2 hours that is a great result, lots of faint fuzzies in the background as well, more time would really bring them out
Old 04-09-2019, 02:09 PM
codemonkey (Lee)
Lee "Wormsy" Borsboom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff45 View Post
Nice rendition Lee. Up there with the best.
As an aside, I was interested to see the difference between the high res image on Astrobin and the one with the tech details. There is a double star on the upper edge of the galaxy which provides a good gauge of detail. It’s clear on the high res image but pretty blurry on the low res one.

Geoff
Thanks very much Geoff :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlazg View Post
For only 4.2 hours that is a great result, lots of faint fuzzies in the background as well, more time would really bring them out
Thanks George :-) This image now has just over 20hrs of data; I've updated the original post to reflect that. Seeing has deteriorated here the last few days and if that's an indication of what's to come over the next few days, I think it's a waste of time getting more luminance. I think I have enough RGB so I'm calling it done on the acquisition on this one. I could probably bring out the faint fuzzies better by lightening the background a bit... I've never been particularly great at bringing out the faint stuff.