Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Old 12-04-2021, 10:48 PM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoda776 View Post
Nothing worse for me is to go to a dark sky site away from home and while trying to attach knobs and screws (of course dark in colour so that match the darkness well! ) and drop them in the grassy area. Then spending a long time trying to find the dropped item. Usually when setting up a truss dobsonian.
A Very simple thing which will fix this problem.
Always lay a tarp on the ground first.
Does two things
1 saves you looking for screws etc
2 keeps your feet dry from dew.
Cheers
Old 13-04-2021, 11:02 AM
Merlin66 (Ken)

I'm still embarrassed by this some 45 years later.......

While in South Africa I struck up a friendship with a young guy who was interested in astronomy but who had no experience.
I was the "local expert".
He found his dad (who had died a few years before) had started to build an observing platform behind the house and also left a "box o' bits"
He invited me round to see what was there and if it could still be used.
Basically all the bits were there for a 6" f8 scope - old tube, old focuser, a couple of old eyepieces and a very dirty tarnished 6" mirror. You couldn't see any real reflection from the brown surface.
I was using a 6" reflector at the time, the mirror of which I'd cleaned many times.
I offered to clean his mirror........

We set up the sink and basin with water, cotton wool balls etc.
Well my heart sank to my shoes as I slipped the mirror into the water and the coating just floated off across the surface of the water.
I was shocked to say the least - I didn't know what to say or what to do....

The mirror had been silvered! The first I'd seen, so didn't recognise the issue/ and possible problems.

After some discussion and my abject apologies, repeated numerous times, he said the mirror could not have been used the way it was anyway and it definitely need re-coating.

He did get it aluminised and it turn out OK. I helped him set up the scope and "donated" a couple of books and star atlas.

I still get slightly sick just remembering that incident!
Old 13-04-2021, 12:20 PM
Outcast (Carlton)
Always gonna be a NOOB...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashDrive View Post
Major Stuff Up ..... I left my RDF switched on ...forget to turn it off...I was mortified when it wouldn't work next time ....!! ...
I have done this more times than I care to remember... I'm a slow learner...
Old 13-04-2021, 12:26 PM
AdamJL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin66 View Post
I still get slightly sick just remembering that incident!
Moral of the story: it's bad enough breaking your own gear... but breaking someone else's is worse!
Old 13-04-2021, 12:35 PM
Derek Klepp

Maybe I’m just clumsy.

1.Years ago 127mm APO refractor slides out onto the ground.Luckily the focuser bearings took the brunt(shattered completely) I replaced them and panel beat the dew cover round again and off it went.
2.Grey Market 6D and Samyang 14mm lens face plans into the concrete.Lens breaks in half.I remove the lens open the aperture up and pin it wide open and tape it back together with electrical tape.The camera still works in manual mode but the auto focus is stuffed.I use this camera and set up for years till upgrading.
3.Away on a weekend with my better half my 1DX mkii with 600mm lense and 1.4extender off balances on a glass coffee table and falls 50cm onto carpet.
Canon fixes 1.4 ext .Rear of the 600mm lens and puts a complete new shutter system in the camera.So basically all brand new again but at a cost of around $2600.
Lessons learned slow down and be aware of ones surroundings.
And know I still rush to much.
Cheers Derek