Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > ATM and DIY Projects

Old 15-01-2021, 03:41 PM
seeker372011 (Narayan)
6EQUJ5

Long term protection for the mount outdoors

Hi

Wonder if anyone has experience with leaving their mount/ scope out for extended periods of time?

Obviously I’d love an observatory - sadly that’s not a possibility

What have you used? Something like Telegizmos?
If yes how do you deal with condensation?

Any other options?

If a huge storm is forecast I’d obviously bring the gear in but would like to ideally leave the gear out for extended periods otherwise

Thanks in advance

Narayan
Old 16-01-2021, 06:54 AM
JA

Hi N,

I think if I had a permanent outdoor pier/mount setup then I would go for something like an inverted hard cover like a strong plastic bin, which could be sealed (or not- perhaps vented via a filter medium) from below. Inside the bin, wrap the mount head in a thick towel/s as a secondary barrier to any moisture forming on the mount surface (due to high dew point air & lower mount surface temp)

I would also try and choose a HARD bin/cover or modify it so that it would not trap water in any way on its outer or inner surfaces, so I'd use a hard bin/cover with a slopping or domed top and a lipless or modified rim seal area, not because it's absolutely necessary, just because it's better....

Actually any water around the rim seal area could potentially be drawn or leak in so better to avoid that by design if possible.

Here is a previous thread with many ideas discussed.....
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ht=rubbish+bin

Best
JA

Last edited by JA; 16-01-2021 at 07:10 AM.
Old 16-01-2021, 07:08 AM
Startrek (Martin)

I leave my EQ6-R mount and 6” f6 newt ( less imaging camera ) outdoors for weeks at a time (2 to 4 weeks ) and just use a large towel and a Orion scope cloak over it with the cloak tied off at the base of the tripod legs with Velcro strap. My little laptop table cabled via a floor pvc duct 1.8m away is cover by a waterproof tarp from Bunnings.
Been doing this for years and the mount and scope are not showing any signs of deterioration at all ( no mildew , mild or rust )
I do clean my newts mirrors every 12 months
My mount and tripod are well lubricated though ( exposed every nut and bolt , grub screws and the like )
I’m usually away in January during the real hot days so it’s not outside in that period
I’m currently building an Obs at my retirement holiday place on the South coast so won’t have to do what I’m currently doing in Sydney any more down there
Hope the above helps
Old 16-01-2021, 08:27 AM
Tinderboxsky (Steve)
I can see clearly now ...

My solution to this question may provide some ideas for you:

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...d.php?t=176146

This micro observatory proved to be very easy to use and provided complete protection for the mount.
Old 16-01-2021, 09:11 AM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Narayan,
My HEQ5pro mount is permanently left outside 24/7 all year.
This has been the case for the past ten years.
A towel over the mount, black garbage bag then a Bunnings patio chair cover, held in place with a bungee.
No issues with the mount or electronics etc. but.....the powder coated tripod feet have suffered. Most of the coated has now gone....
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (HEQ5_cover.JPG)
172.5 KB56 views
Click for full-size image (HEQ5_feet.JPG)
157.5 KB49 views
Old 16-01-2021, 09:36 AM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

I wrap my mount in 2 old windcheaters then a bbq cover wraped tightly then garbage bag, then another bbq cover and 3 more garbage bags. It is so watertight it survives torrential rain and large hail. It's easy enough to take off but a pain to re-cover
Old 16-01-2021, 11:02 AM
Astronovice (Calvin)

BBQ Cover user

HEQ5 Pro on a permanent pier.
I am also in the BBQ cover users group. Two towels first to guard against condensation, followed by heavy duty white plastic bag. Finally the BBQ cover. Has survived the FNQ torrential rains without any problem so far.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (F040029A-4B0D-4E00-9A0C-7ED463FC85C1.jpg)
208.2 KB52 views
Click for full-size image (B404CCB1-BFDB-4AB5-8492-DB7A12175661.jpeg)
168.4 KB64 views
Old 16-01-2021, 11:19 AM
DarkArts

Whatever you choose, I suggest you seriously consider hail protection. Storms can occur with little warning including when you're not home to do anything about it.

I had plans to build a "motel-o-scope" for a pier-mounted 'scope, but ditched them as it would be destroyed in a hail storm (like the one that occurred in Canberra a year ago and wiped out two cars, windows, a pergola roof ... and even left permanent indentations in my garage door).
Old 16-01-2021, 12:49 PM
seeker372011 (Narayan)
6EQUJ5

'Thanks for the responses - looks like at least for a few days or a week at a time I could get away with a towel or towels, and plastic garbage bag/ patio or BBQ chair cover. Wonder if i can glad wrap the legs to prevent the powder coating from deteriorating
Old 16-01-2021, 12:53 PM
seeker372011 (Narayan)
6EQUJ5

This is a great- an excellent- solution. However, I don’t have a pier though so not sure if I could use those Bunnings plastic containers
Worth thing about for sure
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinderboxsky View Post
My solution to this question may provide some ideas for you:

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...d.php?t=176146

This micro observatory proved to be very easy to use and provided complete protection for the mount.
Old 16-01-2021, 12:53 PM
seeker372011 (Narayan)
6EQUJ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkArts View Post
Whatever you choose, I suggest you seriously consider hail protection. Storms can occur with little warning including when you're not home to do anything about it.

I had plans to build a "motel-o-scope" for a pier-mounted 'scope, but ditched them as it would be destroyed in a hail storm (like the one that occurred in Canberra a year ago and wiped out two cars, windows, a pergola roof ... and even left permanent indentations in my garage door).

Yes that’s a real consideration
Old 16-01-2021, 04:53 PM
bojan
amateur

"Permanent" pier for EQ6...
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ght=pier+shape
Old 17-01-2021, 07:40 AM
Hemi

Hi Narayan,

I have an obsy now, but previously used a telegizmo cover.
I live in the tropics (Darwin), where it’s hot, humid, wet and cyclonic! I had my c925, azeq6, on a tripod then pier...for several years! (I’m not kidding). Only finally had an issue when the cover sprang a leak at the seams. Caused a bit of bother with water getting into the tube and causing some corrosion, was easily fixed though.

Would I do it again? Absolutely, for not having to setup and tear down. I might check on the seams though more frequently and maybe replace cover every 2 years or so.

First light optics was the most economical way of acquiring one, in my research.

But as always YMMV
Old 23-03-2021, 10:38 PM
xthestreams (Paul)
photon disrupter

Telegizmos cover. Not cheap, but neither is the contents.