Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Astrophotography
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2020, 02:45 PM
Mickoid (Michael)

Sony RX100 M3

Bought this nice compact digital camera a few weeks ago after selling a couple of Canon Powershots I'd been using for some time. This model has a larger sensor and seems to handle the noise levels a little better than my previous compacts. I wanted to test it out on astrophotography. As we all know, this form of photography brings out all the flaws and deficiencies of both lens and camera that go unnoticed in daylight photography.

These were shot at 30 seconds, iso 2000, at f 2.8 ( the widest it will go at the 70mm zoom end ) just to bring out the worst ( or best ) of the lens at these apertures. The 24mm wide end handled the bright stars very well, with very little chromatc aberration and this was a single 30 second shot. I tamed the noise a little in PS but only with a despeckle.

The 70mm zoom end created strange flares on the bright stars which I would think may disappear if I shoot at f 4 to f 5. This would, of course give me two options, increase the exposure or the iso. My preference is to increase the exposure, so an intervalometer will be something I will invest in as this little compact camera has a 'bulb' setting.

These shots were taken Wednesday night before Melbourne's second lockdown, at Christmas Hills, between the end of astronomical twilight and a waning gibbous moon which rose at 8.17pm. So I only managed 18 x 30 seconds for the 70mm shot. The weight of this little compact was a joy for my Sightron Nano Tracker to handle!
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (18x30Secs_70mm.jpg)
202.5 KB77 views
Click for full-size image (1x30Sec_24mm.jpg)
170.6 KB57 views
Old 11-07-2020, 03:29 PM
rustigsmed (Russell)

i reckon the camera is doing a pretty fine job there Mick, good work and nice processing!

it might also be worth investigating an external aperture mask to control the flares.

Russ
Old 11-07-2020, 04:16 PM
LostInSp_ce
Unregistered User

Very nice Mick. Are you shooting with a 70-200? If so, I find the sweet spot to be f4, but you may get some spikes from the blades on brighter stars which may or may not bother you.
Old 11-07-2020, 05:37 PM
skysurfer
Dark sky rules !

Nice pics !

I have the RX100M6 and have similar results, despite being dimmer (f/2.8-4.5 instead of f/2.0-2.8). It is an amazing camera and image quality is better that Powershot G7Xii.
Do you shoot RAW (ARW) ?
How did you handle light pollution by Melbourne and the Moon ?

Last edited by skysurfer; 11-07-2020 at 05:55 PM.
Old 11-07-2020, 07:19 PM
Mickoid (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustigsmed View Post
i reckon the camera is doing a pretty fine job there Mick, good work and nice processing!

it might also be worth investigating an external aperture mask to control the flares.

Russ
Thanks Russ, yeah, it's a keeper and stopping down will make it much better. I'll wait and see what happens to the flares then before making any sort of mask though. Cheers for the advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInSp_ce View Post
Very nice Mick. Are you shooting with a 70-200? If so, I find the sweet spot to be f4, but you may get some spikes from the blades on brighter stars which may or may not bother you.
Thanks LIS, this is a compact camera with a fixed 24-70mm zoom lens. Aperture spikes don't bother me, in fact I quite like the effect they create on bright stars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysurfer View Post
Nice pics !

I have the RX100M6 and have similar results, despite being dimmer (f/2.8-4.5 instead of f/2.0-2.8). It is an amazing camera and image quality is better that Powershot G7Xii.
Do you shoot RAW (ARW) ?
How did you handle light pollution by Melbourne and the Moon ?
Thanks Skysurfer, so you are fully aware of how fine these cameras are and you own a much newer version of the Sony RX M series. I think they're up to version 7 now but I reckon yours will sport a lot more features than my M3. The newer versions are a bit pricey for me so I chose the best I could afford and that turned out to be the M3. These were shot in RAW from a location on the fringe of Melbourne so there was reduced light pollution and the moon had not breached the horizon before I ended the exposure session.

Last edited by Mickoid; 11-07-2020 at 07:31 PM.
Old 11-07-2020, 09:07 PM
Derek Klepp

Great results I have the original mk1 and it is still going.I have never used it on night shots though.I do have a RX1r which is also going and it has a fixed 35mm f2 Lens.I have taken nice shots of the Milky Way with this.It is just remarkable what modern cameras can achieve.
Derek
Old 12-07-2020, 03:58 AM
LostInSp_ce
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickoid View Post
Thanks LIS, this is a compact camera with a fixed 24-70mm zoom lens. Aperture spikes don't bother me, in fact I quite like the effect they create on bright stars.
Oops. I missed that, might be time for an eye check up. Still I think going down a couple of stops will be the sweet spot.
Old 12-07-2020, 04:40 PM
Imme (Jon)

I love them mike, obviously a handy little camera to have in your arsenal!
I’d love to get into this wide field stuff, really like it and you seem to do so effortlessly.

Well done mate, love it....really shows the galaxy we’re in and the extended ring of stars fanning out