ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Deep Space
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2020, 08:43 PM
FrancoRodriguez (Franco)
Franco

How annoying is this!

So here it is...my piece de resistance. I'm bitterly disappointed at my Ha Carina data, so much so that I didn't even bother deringing the stars. I did a 2x2 pano consisting of about 20 hours' worth of Ha data only to find, when I put it together... that SGP decided on its own to interpret the pano at right angles to what it was supposed to. Hence the unusable, weird cross shape. I also did this for R,G and B as well! It was supposed to be my first serious attempt at a pano, shot over several weeks and well over a hundred hours' worth of data. I'm so stupid to have not noticed it well before I completed it!
Does anyone have any tips for me to not have this happen again (apart from getting a square sensor...the 16803's a bit out of my price range right about now!)

https://imgur.com/a/TahVjNi

Last edited by FrancoRodriguez; 06-07-2020 at 08:45 PM. Reason: forgot to add the photo
Old 06-07-2020, 09:09 PM
FrancoRodriguez (Franco)
Franco

https://imgur.com/a/TahVjNi
Old 06-07-2020, 10:09 PM
rbronca

As I said to Graham yesterday:

Give Microsoft ICE a try. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/rese...posite-editor/

It is by far the easiest Mosaic creation tool I have used. Make sure the source images are 16 bit tif's first.

My fingers are crossed the hole disappears and you have something great for you efforts.
Old 07-07-2020, 07:37 AM
FrancoRodriguez (Franco)
Franco

Thanks. Have you got any advice on getting Sequence Generator Pro (or any other programme for that matter) to understand the orientation I give for panos? It understood it as a cross, not a big rectangle. This is because it flipped my camera around 90 degrees for no apparent reason
Old 07-07-2020, 10:53 AM
The_bluester (Paul)

Do you have an automated rotator? I would have to look back at my SGP install (I use Voyager now which has a more powerful mosaic tool) but the SGP mosaic planner should show you the panel orientation will get and provide a rotation angle that you manually rotate the camera to (Using plate solving fr feedback) or use to drive an automated rotator.

I would say you also need to increase the overlap percentage between frames to make it consistent, being an image of Carina and near the pole you might want about 20% as near the pole the SGP mosaic planner really falls down, it does not account for the effective change of camera angle as you mover around near the pole and you can end up with holes ore strangely shaped mosaics very easily. That is where the Voyager planner shines, you can set it up to calculate and display how the panels will come out with a fixed camera angle, or to line them up visually square like the SGP planner does and calculate a camera angle for each frame to make the result match the plan.

You could rescue that one a fair bit by plonking another frame right in the middle to fill the hole.
Old 07-07-2020, 06:31 PM
FrancoRodriguez (Franco)
Franco

Thanks for the message. No, I don't have an autorotator (they're surprisingly expensive!!) I did 25% overlap and still this happened. I'll do what you suggested and platesolve the angle. I didn't know that could be done in SGP. That might fix the problem. Good thought!
Old 07-07-2020, 06:47 PM
FrancoRodriguez (Franco)
Franco

Thanks for the message. No, I don't have an autorotator (they're surprisingly expensive!!) I did 25% overlap and still this happened. I'll do what you suggested and platesolve the angle. I didn't know that could be done in SGP. That might fix the problem. Good thought!
Old 07-07-2020, 08:37 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

Could you post up a screenshot of the mosaic planner screen when you run it? Looking at your image again, the camera angle is the same between all of the panels, but I can't get Voyagers planning tool to give me anything that looks even remotely like that outcome using a fixed orientation.