Old 07-06-2018, 11:15 AM
Merlin66 (Ken)

New SW ASCOM Drivers??

I normally use the HEQ5 with the Synscan controller for solar observing, but had a need to use a remote connection from a new laptop.

I installed CdC (V4.1), EQMod (V2) and ASCOM (V6.3) on the laptop and then connected the SW "upgrade cable" via a Keyspan USB>Serial adaptor to the controller (running V3.27, set to "PC Direct") (as I've done many times in the past). This allowed me to set up and run EQMod etc -and life goes on.

But I do also remember using the same connections but utilising ASCOM setting to "Celestron mounts".....hmmm I went into the ASCOM driver site and found that SW have now developed their own driver set (!!!) and no longer use the Celestron settings.
http://www.ascom-standards.org/Downl...opeDrivers.htm (see down the page)

Quote:
""
This driver is for all mounts that use the Synta SkyWatcher SynScan controller, including those provided by Orion etc. It should work with both AltAz and GEM mounts. The SynScan Hand Controller version must be 3.38 or 4.38 or later to get full functionality but limited functionality should be available for all HC versions.
""
This means I'd have to upgrade the Synscan to V3.38 to try it out.....

Anyone making use of this feature?????