Old 01-01-2009, 08:39 PM
BalderAsir (Nick)

First proper night of observing

So with the clouds and weather been good on NYE and my commercial pilot exams all done, I finally managed to get outside with my scope. Now, i've been out observing before, but it was more like stumbling in the dark. I invested in a compass and a planisphere for melbourne.

At about 9.30pm I headed out with my cans of bundy, my camera and my book. Turns out the camera was useless. After having a go at aligning to the SCP (i got close) I aimed at Sirius and got my first joy of the night, i saw a shooting star. It was faint, i'd say about XXX mag. I then, after reading the article about Orions Nebula, decided to go hunting for it. This is when i got my second surprise. as soon as I looked at the constellation orion I saw another shooting star, only this time it was brighter than Venus travelling left of Rigel down past Orion and over the horizon. Anyone know what it was I saw?

I then started searching for the nebula, whcih i located about 10.30. It was faint on my eby scope, but I saw it. I believe better lenses will assist me to get a better view of it in the future.

I then came inside to get another drink, proceeded outside and in the process to relocate Orion in my finder scope I knocked it out of alignment and that was my night done...

What i need to work on

- Learn how to locate using DEC and RA
- Remember not to rotate the EQ mount when observing, again using RA and DEC
- Get my rear end into gear and construct my mount for my new finderscope

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/b...You/scope1.jpg

Great little scope, bout 500g, has 10 levels of brightness on the red illuminated cross hairs. with windage and elevation settings I'll be able to align it quickly and easily once I have solid mount created. Just gotta find 2x30mm clamps that I can screw into some plywood to hold it in place....

So there it is, my first sucessful night of star gazing
Old 01-01-2009, 09:12 PM
Lyinxz

Sounds like you had a enjoyable night!

I’m surprised you didn’t get a good view of the Orion nebula, especially since it’s so high up at the moment.
I live in heart of Sydney and my old scope a celestron 4.5" newt on EQ would give me beautiful views of the Orion nebula!
I found using a light blue filter brought out alot of detail and optimised the image immensely.

Though now with my 10" dob, the Orion nebula is just jaw dropping!
Clear Skies to start the new year, hope this is a sign of more to come in 09.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:16 PM
BalderAsir (Nick)

i'll admit I may not have been looking at the Nebula. I think it was it but like I said my finderscope was out. It looked about the size of a button and it was grey.
Old 02-01-2009, 08:37 PM
mozzie (Peter)

take your time it will all come to you and when it all becomes to much walk away from the scope and just look up and admire its a wonderful sight
mozzie