Go Back   IceInSpace > IceTrade Classifieds > IceTrade Archives

Old 19-03-2021, 06:32 AM
N1 (Mirko)

Vixen Custom 90 M - OTA only

Here's the thing. I took a punt a couple of years ago and got this 90mm f/11 Vixen Custom on the net. OK, it didn't look good in the ad but I thought that'll clean up alright, or something. Well - when it got here, I saw it needed way more attention than expected. Drawtube stuck, focuser shaft bent, focuser knobs broken, spiders made a home in the scratched tube, chipped and decollimated objective part of whose coating the previous owner had cleaned off, etc etc. A sad picture really. I made a half-assed effort to get it going again. The focuser can now be used for focussing but is still stiff (the felt I used is too thick I think), the doublet is closer to collimation now after I replaced the 2 remaining foil shims and the missing third with sticky tape ones (not ideal, I know). It produces an image, and the clamshell chip isn't all that big. But it's still out by some margin according to the Tak collimating scope, and shimming is the only way to adjust it unfortunately. I've tried to clean up the tube but it still looks a bit battered.

The plan was to have a refractor specifically to use here at home by the beach (the environment is too harsh for the FC76) but some time last year I decided to blow it, I'm getting the 4" f/11 ED that Teleskop Service now sell. A beautiful scope that one. Anyway, so here we are. What the Vixen really needs now is someone who appreciates its pedigree or lack thereof, some work to make the focuser smoother, and possibly a new objective like this one. Not a huge cost, and potentially some nice, long fl achro views on offer. I'll include the adaptor that allows 1.25" eyepieces to be used.

The catch is, the scope is in Dunedin NZ so "free" really only applies to the scope itself, postage to be covered by receiver please.

Any interest?
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Custom90_1.jpg)
79.0 KB156 views
Click for full-size image (Custom90_2.jpg)
141.7 KB122 views

Last edited by N1; 16-04-2021 at 07:50 AM.
Old 11-04-2021, 10:28 AM
N1 (Mirko)

Thanks Rowan, adding a couple pf photos for completeness. It's a lot of work but underneath all that is a potentially handsome instrument. I'll PM you with details. Cheers
Old 12-04-2021, 08:06 AM
JohnF (John)

re your wanted Ad.

If RowAN backs out. I will buy it. Have some parts that may fit, by stripping my 80mm Vixen.
Old 14-04-2021, 01:10 PM
N1 (Mirko)

Rowan, see PM for info re shipping. Thanks