Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Astrophotography
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 23-03-2021, 12:07 PM
Startrek (Martin)

M42 Orion Nebula Reprocessed using Startools V1.7

Haven’t imaged for nearly a month due to ongoing cloudy and wet weather on the east coast of NSW so decided to do some re processing of old data using the latest version of Startools 1.7
Here’s a reprocess of M42 Orion that I captured last December with my 6” newt and ZWOASI2600MC camera using a ZWO Duoband filter under Bortle 8 light polluted skies in Sydney and a waxing Moon
Integration time only about 18minutes ( 6 x 3 minute subs )
I did not use any Layering techniques to expose the trap , the stacked file straight out of DSS showed the trap clearly, so this incredible Camera with tremendous dynamic range and Duoband filter did a great job.
I’ve just purchased an Optolong L Extreme OSC Duoband filter so can’t wait to start using it and compare with the ZWO

Original frame version
Cropped version to show fine details and trap

Comments most welcome

Thanks for looking
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (306F4666-E159-44FF-BC28-C10DB501B489.jpg)
158.8 KB163 views
Click for full-size image (EE0DF14E-F64A-4F6E-AF05-21E2EB6EF99F.jpeg)
105.7 KB95 views
Old 23-03-2021, 12:13 PM
evltoy (Wayne)

love the detail!

I see you used a Duoband filter on a colour camera. Can this Duoband filter be used on a non-modded DSLR?
Old 23-03-2021, 12:57 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by evltoy View Post
love the detail!

I see you used a Duoband filter on a colour camera. Can this Duoband filter be used on a non-modded DSLR?
Thanks for the kind comment

Duoband , Triband , Quadband single filters were designed for colour cameras to allow Narrowband imaging in light polluted and moon lit skies
Mono cameras used filter wheels that can carry specific Narrowband filters at various wavelength or bandpasses and obviously perform better at Narrowband imaging than OSC cameras
My ZWO 2” Duoband was designed for a OSC dedicated astronomy camera but there’s no reason why you couldn’t use a 2” adapter on your unmodded DSLR and shoot narrowband ( You would have to check various suppliers about the correct adapter ) Some companies offer a clip in filter for DSLR’s as well
Obviously a OSC cooled astronomy camera will perform so much better than an unmodded DSLR but it can be done
Trevor Jones on Astrobackyard has a few YouTube clips using his DSLR with narrowband filters , worth a look
Old 23-03-2021, 01:11 PM
evltoy (Wayne)

Thank you for the info.. keep up the awesome images
Old 23-03-2021, 01:35 PM
AdamJL

Pretty impressive for 18mins of data!! I don't like wishing time away, but November can't come fast enough. I miss Orion already (2hours per night of good/useable shooting time currently, and dropping every night
Old 23-03-2021, 01:44 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJL View Post
Pretty impressive for 18mins of data!! I don't like wishing time away, but November can't come fast enough. I miss Orion already (2hours per night of good/useable shooting time currently, and dropping every night
Thanks Adam
M42 is a lot of folks favourite nebula ( not mine ) I prefer all the nebula in Sagittarius during the winter and spring like M8 as it offers some more depth and during the winter months you can capture so much more data on objects due to an early start and later finish. In summer it doesn’t get real dark until 9.30pm and the sun rises at 5am ( short nights )
I’m after galaxies over the next few months too
Thanks again
Old 23-03-2021, 03:59 PM
Karlz (Karl)

Looks great Martin, I can't for these clouds to disappear and get some imaging under my belt.

I was looking at the L-extreme as well but tossing up between L-enhance and the ZWO duo.
Old 23-03-2021, 09:45 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlz View Post
Looks great Martin, I can't for these clouds to disappear and get some imaging under my belt.

I was looking at the L-extreme as well but tossing up between L-enhance and the ZWO duo.
Thanks Karl,

Hopefully I should be using my new L Extreme this week under Bortle 8 Sydney skies with a waxing +70% moon up
I should be able to make some sort of comparison between the ZWO Duoband and L Extreme
Cheers
Martin
Old 23-03-2021, 10:15 PM
RyanJones

I never got around to doing Orion this year despite the promise that if it was good it could find a place on the wall at home...... maybe next year...

I think you’ll find the L-Exteme to be quite a bit better at cutting down the light pollution. It’s got a really nice tight band pass at the O3 end of the spectrum. It’s about 7nm if I remember correctly. My STC Duo is about 10nm and I think the ZWO is about 30 or 35nm. Should give you some great contrast in the reflection nebulae. The red end is the same too. Probably the next filter I invest in also.

Cheers

Ryan
Old 01-04-2021, 11:06 AM
AtlasPSD

Great read and excellent work!
Old 03-04-2021, 06:42 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlasPSD View Post
Great read and excellent work!
Thank you
I try to include as much relevant info as possible in capturing the image , so others may benefit