Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Celestial and Astronomical Events

Old 04-06-2019, 11:26 AM
N1 (Mirko)

An Almost-Transit of Venus - 1 year to go

Planetary observers mark your calendars: On 4 June 2020, almost exactly 8 years after the last Transit, Venus will make another close approach, a blistering 29.2' of separation between disk centres at its minimum. This is close enough for the planet's disk to transit the solar corona, and it is close enough for the phase of Venus to become annular. This does not happen often and is a sight to behold. I saw it in 2012 the day after the transit (EP shot here), and I estimate the period of annularity will extend about a day either side of the conjunction, giving the keen observer a fairly big window of opportunity. Needless to say, extreme care needs to be taken for any visual attempts.

This will be the closest inferior conjunction until the next proper Transit of Venus in 2117
Old 04-06-2019, 01:49 PM
Tinderboxsky (Steve)
I can see clearly now ...

I have put it in the diary. 🤞🤞
Old 04-06-2019, 11:19 PM
Saturnine (Jeff)

The close approach gets me wondering if Venus would be visible in an Ha scope. Oops just read the links, probably not visible, almost all proms would be nowhere large enough to silhouette Venus and I don't have an Corona filter.
Will still give it a try though, will be an interesting project.
Old 05-06-2019, 07:44 AM
N1 (Mirko)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturnine View Post
The close approach gets me wondering if Venus would be visible in an Ha scope. Oops just read the links, probably not visible, almost all proms would be nowhere large enough to silhouette Venus and I don't have an Corona filter.
Will still give it a try though, will be an interesting project.

SOHO might actually record it when it happens, not sure what its resolution is. Any ground based coronagraph images of this event will be APOD material, where the "D" will stand for decade