Old 10-01-2010, 07:55 AM
orestis

Faint Fuzzies obs report 9/1/10

Telescope-130mmx900mm
Atmosphere-4/5
Transperency-4/5
moon-none

It was a beautifull night so i thought i must see the Fornax galaxy cluster and so i did it was most rewarding.

Fornax Galaxy cluster- star hopping off the triangle i came to a bright blob it was quite amazing i think it was maybe ngc 1399 there were also to other prominent hazes to the east of ngc 1399 but couldn't identify them, while i was studying the area i noticed some of the stars having some haze around them but not being sure that they were galaxies.It was most exciting to view this galaxy cluster.I studied the cluster for about 1 and a half hours and tried to make asketch but failed as my drawing cicle was too big and i misinterpreted distances.oh well next time.

I viewed some of the old favourites and then went off to bed.i had a great night.

clear skies
orestis
ps- i'd like to thank rob_k for posting his report as it inspired me to observe these galaxies .
Old 10-01-2010, 09:47 AM
Rob_K

Glad you had a good night Orestis! Yeah, the little hazes are what you are looking for! Sometimes the cores are almost stellar, so they can look like a faint star with haze around them too. You're on the way now, getting your eye in on these difficult objects!!

I had a quick look at the group again last night - funny, I could see all the ones from the previous report OK, except for the mag 12.1 edge-on NGC 1386, which looked so good the other night! Shows how observing conditions can affect your viewing from night to night, especially when you're struggling for aperture.

Keep it up!

Cheers -
Old 10-01-2010, 01:31 PM
ngcles
The Observologist

Hi Orestis,

Normally I try and avoid making references (well repeated references) to the Deep Sky Delights articles I write for Australian Sky & Telescope but you might be well served by taking a look at my "Frolic in Fornax" in the Nov/Dec 2006 issue that might be of some help for you to navigate (galaxy-hop) this cluster.

Unfortunately, (according to the website) back issues older than 12 months are no longer available from AS&T so try your local library or maybe someone here might have a copy they can lend you for a look?

Best,

Les D
Old 11-01-2010, 11:16 AM
Paddy (Patrick)
Canis Minor

Glad you found them, Orestis. I know what you mean about having trouble identifying exactly which is which - its quite an overwhelming array of vast objects at great distance.