Old 01-05-2012, 03:33 PM
Marke (Mark)

Battery question

I am in the process of sorting out the power inside the obs and will be running most of the equipment off 12v . I was a little concerned about out gassing from the batteries charging and its possible effect on optics ect.
I could store them out side I guess if I can keep them weather proofed some how.
Appreciate any thoughts or suggestions.

Mark
Old 01-05-2012, 04:18 PM
Barrykgerdes

Out gassing should not be a problem with modern sealed batteries if you use the correct charger. However it is always good practice to have the area well ventilated when charging is in progress and keep your optics capped.

The only evidence I have is that there is no sign of corrosion in the battery compartment of the solar charger on the inverter at Wiruna after many years of constant charging in an enclosed cabinet.

Barry
Old 01-05-2012, 05:30 PM
floyd_2 (Dean)

I had a similar concern about my 7Ah SLA that I run my fans / dew gear from. Rather than worry about it, I charge it elsewhere away from my scope. Being a small battery, it's quite easy to do. Even though a larger battery is more cumbersome, I would still be inclined to have a larger battery kept away from my expensive gear during charging - just in case.

I agree with Barry, the right charger shouldn't give you any problems. I'm just a chicken and would charge away from my goodies anyway!

Dean
Old 01-05-2012, 05:37 PM
MrB (Simon)
Old Man Yells at Cloud

Barry is correct, SLA and AGM batteries will not outgas under 'normal' operating conditions.
For charging, the maximum permitted current should be listed on the battery body as 'Initial Current' under the 'Float' (or Standby) and 'Cyclic' charging voltages. If your charger doesn't output more than this figure your batteries will be fine.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:26 PM
Marke (Mark)

Thanks guys , I am leaning towards playing it safe and put them in a vented box outside and just running the leads in probably save some room too . I have a Ctek 15a charger which also has a "supply" mode which means I can leave it on while using the batteries at the same time. I just think their close prox to the scope and that the charger will most likely be running when its all closed up may be trying my luck.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:29 PM
Marke (Mark)

Did some more looking around after suggestions here and a good AGM can be kept inside in a sealed box with no problem . I looked at running electrics from outside and prob more of a pain than its worth . Found a good price for a 150Ah and all the lighting will be 12v LED so I think I will go back to original plan.
Thanks again.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:30 PM
Barrykgerdes

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrB View Post
Barry is correct, SLA and AGM batteries will not outgas under 'normal' operating conditions.
For charging, the maximum permitted current should be listed on the battery body as 'Initial Current' under the 'Float' (or Standby) and 'Cyclic' charging voltages. If your charger doesn't output more than this figure your batteries will be fine.
The sealed batteries theoretically do not give of any gas during charging due to the gas being reabsorbed chemically. However there can be residual leaks of H2 and O. no matter how well they are sealed. Thus if the whole process is sealed as in a waterproof backpack radio (military style) there can be a build up of gas inside the case in time which will cause a nasty explosion if there is a spark from the send receive relay. I have seen the results!

Barry