Old 06-11-2019, 07:33 PM
Geoff45 (Geoff)
PI rules

14 hours on NGC247

Big one here https://www.astrobin.com/full/lvbabj/0/

Telescope: 12.5" Planewave CDK
Camera:FLI 16803 Proline
Mount: AP900 GTO
Exposure: 280min B, 190min G, 200min R, 150 min L.

FOV 37' x 37' (cropped from 49" x 49')

I actually took more L (410 min), but culled ruthlessly.
I also took some Ha (100min) but, although the image showed promise, the data was not good enough for inclusion. On the list for next year is to triple up the Ha and maybe get some better L--great what you can do with digital!

I rotated the image from the conventional E-W orientation. I think this looks much more dynamic.

The string of four galaxies just below and right of NGC 247 is known as Burbidge's Chain. These galaxies are about 300 million light-years distant. Deep images reveal that the two bottom-most galaxies in the chain are apparently interacting, joined by a faint bridge of material. This bridge can just be seen in this photograph. (With the help of averted imagination, as Mike Berthon-Jones would say)
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (ngc_247_september_2019_v3_small.jpg)
118.4 KB87 views
Old 07-11-2019, 08:29 AM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Overall a nice result there Geoff, it does look a little soft but I am thinking this was just the uncooperative seeing at Wiruna? Adding some Ha next year might be worth it too, it is a very close by galaxy so plenty to reveal within Well done on including Burbige's Chain, it often gets chopped off if just plonking the galaxy in the centre of the frame and many people are blissfully unaware of its existence but it is the best part of the field IMO

Mike
Old 08-11-2019, 06:42 AM
Placidus (Mike and Trish)
Narrowing the band

Magnificent image, Geoff.

The main galaxy reminds one of a paramecium with a big vacuole in it.

As Mike S says, the collection of highly detailed background galaxies makes it fun and rewarding to explore.

Perhaps the colour balance is a bit toward the blue-violet.

Yum.
Old 08-11-2019, 09:15 AM
Paul Haese

Nice Geoff, interesting detail in the main galaxy and an interesting presentation of it too. Probably not what I would have done but still there is no up or down in space.

The Burbridge Chain has a dark rectangle shape around those in the background which looks like a label or something. There is perfect edge to it with square sharp corners. The galaxies look good but the back ground shape is definitely something has occurred during processing.
Old 08-11-2019, 01:38 PM
Geoff45 (Geoff)
PI rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
Overall a nice result there Geoff, it does look a little soft but I am thinking this was just the uncooperative seeing at Wiruna? Adding some Ha next year might be worth it too, it is a very close by galaxy so plenty to reveal within Well done on including Burbige's Chain, it often gets chopped off if just plonking the galaxy in the centre of the frame and many people are blissfully unaware of its existence but it is the best part of the field IMO

Mike
Thanks Mike. Yep the seeing was not the best which is why I culled so many L frames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Placidus View Post
Magnificent image, Geoff.

The main galaxy reminds one of a paramecium with a big vacuole in it.

As Mike S says, the collection of highly detailed background galaxies makes it fun and rewarding to explore.

Perhaps the colour balance is a bit toward the blue-violet.

Yum.
Thanks M&T. You are probably right about the colour. I am going to have to reprocess anyway thanks to eagle eyed Paul
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Haese View Post
The Burbridge Chain has a dark rectangle shape around those in the background which looks like a label or something. There is perfect edge to it with square sharp corners. The galaxies look good but the back ground shape is definitely something has occurred during processing.
Well-spotted there Paul! Nobody else seems to have noticed it. I'll have to do a more careful reprocess.
Geoff