Old 01-05-2013, 12:23 PM
Shiraz (Ray)

qhy8 dessicator

hi

the QHY8 is a remarkably versatile camera, but it needs to be kept dry. I wanted to leave mine unattended for days at a time, so built up a dessicator from a mini torch body. Cleared the plug from one of the brass fittings to give access to the chamber - RTV to seal the holes and attach the torch body to the brass fitting - o-ring to seal the screw cap and a fill of silica gel with a tissue plug to keep it out of the chamber. Seems to work - for the last 2 weeks has been no sign of condensation . Will recharge the gel when required.

regards ray
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (dess.JPG)
65.5 KB34 views

Last edited by Shiraz; 01-05-2013 at 04:45 PM.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:42 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

I siliconed all the gaps around the power and USB plugs and recharge it with Argon when I use it. $20.00 bottle from any welding shop. But I open it up and store it dry with dessicant when not in use.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:49 PM
Shiraz (Ray)

Hi Marc. Will have to try argon. I normally store it in the supplied box with the big dessicator, but I wanted to be able to leave it in the open air for days or even weeks at a time - this seems to mop up any moisture ingress quite effectively.

Last edited by Shiraz; 01-05-2013 at 04:46 PM.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:08 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

If it's sealed you'll be alright. If it leaks you'll always get moisture in. I have dessicant plugs on my 9 but I always find they're pink every time I cycle the temp even with an argon purge. So I kind of lost confidence in the effectiveness of dessicant. At least if I seal it and purge it there's no moisture to start with when in use.