Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Deep Space

Old 28-10-2019, 05:08 PM
that_guy (Tony)
Local Korean Millennial

Horsehead Nebula

Back from my monthly pilgrimage to Leyburn, focusing on Horsehead this time. Decided to use the OSC rather than the Mono for simplicity sake and take advantage of the dark skies. After about 150 subs of 3 minutes, I whittled it down to about 96 subs with 40 darks. It's definitely one of the better horsehead I've done but I think I pushed the stretching a little too farm. I've also been experimenting with different noise reduction processes on PI and gave GREYC noise reduction a go at the non-linear stage which I think was pretty successful! I still need to get better at creating masks to target particular part of the skies for noise reduction and stretching but its so danged time consuming!

Link to astrobin
Bonus starless image that's all the rage right now in the community using the new (to me) starnet process in pixinsight.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (horse iis.jpg)
190.8 KB106 views
Click for full-size image (horsestarless.jpg)
156.9 KB95 views
Old 28-10-2019, 06:50 PM
JA

Wonderful Image Tony. The starless image is very...

Best
JA
Old 28-10-2019, 07:29 PM
that_guy (Tony)
Local Korean Millennial

Thanks JA, the starnet++ module has heaps of potential of creating flawless starmasks. Haven't explored this feature yet but I can't wait!
Old 28-10-2019, 08:50 PM
CalvinKlein (Kelvin)

Nicely done Tony. Great detail in the horse's head.
Interesting that there is no sign of the microlensing problem of the mono 1600MM.
I was having a good look at PI myself today and the capability of its wavelet processing - thinking of adding it to my list of processing tools - there's only so much you can do with photoshop masking.
Old 28-10-2019, 09:15 PM
that_guy (Tony)
Local Korean Millennial

This was with the colour, not sure if they have the same microlensing issue (they should). I get the microlensing with my mono camera for sure.
Old 29-10-2019, 09:02 AM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Gee, a lovely colourful vista that Tony and I like the framing, nice job ....another HH season is upon us ...warm nights, flying bugs and mozzies here we come...

Mike
Old 29-10-2019, 11:59 AM
CalvinKlein (Kelvin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by that_guy View Post
This was with the colour, not sure if they have the same microlensing issue (they should). I get the microlensing with my mono camera for sure.
I've just read up on this a bit once again and it seems that the anti-reflective (AR) window on the colour 1600 helps a lot in reducing it.
The mono 1600 does not appear to have the AR windows despite many resellers advertising that it does. (source: cloudynights.com)

Microlensing seems much worse with very fast optics and therefore LOTS of light.
Old 29-10-2019, 12:01 PM
CalvinKlein (Kelvin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
Gee, a lovely colourful vista that Tony and I like the framing, nice job ....another HH season is upon us ...warm nights, flying bugs and mozzies here we come...

Mike
... and clouds and noisy un-cooled DSLRs !
Old 29-10-2019, 12:24 PM
Placidus (Mike and Trish)
Narrowing the band

A wonderful widefield image. Lots of favourite things all in one field. Nicely done.
Old 29-10-2019, 01:07 PM
that_guy (Tony)
Local Korean Millennial

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalvinKlein View Post
I've just read up on this a bit once again and it seems that the anti-reflective (AR) window on the colour 1600 helps a lot in reducing it.
The mono 1600 does not appear to have the AR windows despite many resellers advertising that it does. (source: cloudynights.com)

Microlensing seems much worse with very fast optics and therefore LOTS of light.
Strange, youd think that the only mechanical difference between the colour and mono is the chip! ZWO getting lazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Placidus View Post
A wonderful widefield image. Lots of favourite things all in one field. Nicely done.
Thanks Mike and Trish, I didn't know there were so many reflection nebulae within the main body. I'd like to shoot it again even wider with my ED72 or even mosaic using the 100ED. Projects for another day!

Quote:

Mike
Yup, not looking forward to being eaten alive by mosquitoes, sweating at 9pm at night, unpredictable weather
Old 29-10-2019, 02:53 PM
CalvinKlein (Kelvin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by that_guy View Post
Strange, youd think that the only mechanical difference between the colour and mono is the chip! ZWO getting lazy!

Yeah they've made a few changes over the years. Interesting looking at the reviews of the original 1600's - a few changes made since then. And one of the cameras I was looking at recently (either the 294 or 071) apparently came out initially with an IR-UV cut filter already built in, but ZWO soon removed it for greater flexibility (some imagers LIKE infra red).

So ... got your name down for the new 6200 MM and MC ? (one of each of course)
Old 29-10-2019, 03:01 PM
that_guy (Tony)
Local Korean Millennial

I have a strict no buying of first generation gear. Let other folks get the teething part out of the way! Perhaps several years down the line
Old 29-10-2019, 05:35 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalvinKlein View Post
... and clouds and noisy un-cooled DSLRs !
Indeed ... I feel for you guys, I am very lucky, with a delta T of 58C, it's only on the rare very hottest nights that I can't run my big FLI Proline at -30C ...my Starlightxpress is a different story, it struggles or can't hold -20C on quite a few summer evenings, at least not until the ambient drops to 20C or less, which is regularly not until after midnight ...the good thing though is it is pretty low noise and I don't use darks anyway, so median combining usually suffices, just need more subs

Mike
Old 29-10-2019, 08:01 PM
lazjen (Chris)
PI cult member

Lovely photo indeed.

But, I find the starless versions to be something I don't see the appeal - they just looked damaged to me.
Old 30-10-2019, 07:50 AM
CalvinKlein (Kelvin)

Quote:
Indeed ... I feel for you guys, I am very lucky, with a delta T of 58C, it's only on the rare very hottest nights that I can't run my big FLI Proline at -30C ...my Starlightxpress is a different story, it struggles or can't hold -20C on quite a few summer evenings, at least not until the ambient drops to 20C or less, which is regularly not until after midnight ...the good thing though is it is pretty low noise and I don't use darks anyway, so median combining usually suffices, just need more subs

Mike
Actually Mike I do have an ASI 183 colour and 1600 mono cooled - but I still really like imagining with the Canon 6D & 650Da. - I think its the bit depth and wide FoV that I like. There's a CentralDS modded & cooled 6D for sale in the classifieds at the moment I've had my eye on for a while but its about the same price as a new 071MC which has the benefit of set point cooling. But maybe that's not a big deal especially since you arent using darks !!