Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Star Parties, Club and Community Events

Old 19-03-2020, 07:39 AM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
Get yourself tested Malcolm
Tests are being restricted to people who have travelled overseas or been in contact with a confirmed case. Otherwise it is "wait until you have trouble breathing". So I was advised to self isolate.
Old 19-03-2020, 02:18 PM
roddz (Rodd)

So how many are actually going?
I'm still planing on it.
Bringing a case of Corona.
and some Bourbon.
Remember alcohol kills the Corona Virus.

Rodd

Last edited by roddz; 19-03-2020 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Picture didn't work.
Old 19-03-2020, 03:08 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

At this stage it is about 20, but that is spread out over the 4 days.
I had about 25 booked or had been told they were coming in 2 weeks ago, which is about normal as we always get a rush in the last few weeks but it crashed after that.

Malcolm
Old 20-03-2020, 06:01 AM
bojan
amateur

I had all intentions to visit you guys tomorrow, but today I do not feel well - so I am staying home.
I don't think this is in any way connected with corona, but it is still quite uncomfortable (slight diarrhea, blocked and running nose, muscle ache, no fever..).
Wish you all well and have a good time :-)
Old 20-03-2020, 01:02 PM
Jen
Moving to Pandora

Woohoo it’s today, it’s today 🤗🤗 drive safe everyone see you all soon 🍻🍻🤪🤪😈😈🍾🍾🍾🍾🍾
Old 20-03-2020, 09:42 PM
mynameiscd (Andy)

I have to give it a miss this time.
I've been looking forward to this for months so its not an easy decision but I will come to the winter camp if its on.
Have fun and keep safe.

Cheers
Andy
Old 21-03-2020, 03:07 PM
Nico13 (Ken)
Galaxy Hunting

Hi guys,
Long time no post.
Hi Jen, are you at camp by yourself?
About four years back I started flying and said I’d fly over and wave at you one day. Well today I did but I was above the cloud layer and took a snap shot down through a hole and there’s almost no bugger there.
I hope all is well for everyone, so stay safe and have fun if that’s possible in today’s environment.
Cheers Nico.

No not that Nico the other Nico 😄😎🛩
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (3511120A-CBEB-4A10-87EA-FC646FA36448.jpg)
145.5 KB80 views
Click for full-size image (BE9A9ACA-AF5A-4779-9764-E7B5002846A3.jpg)
135.7 KB39 views
Old 21-03-2020, 03:26 PM
Nico13 (Ken)
Galaxy Hunting

Have decided to come for a drive up to see the minimal crew at camp tomorrow, Sunday, that is if you haven’t all pulled the pin on it and gone home.
Reply to this post and let me know if there will be anyone still there.

No hugging and kissing though
Oh alright just a quick one for Jen
Old 21-03-2020, 03:53 PM
byronpaul (Paul)

Hey Ken,

We are here ..... the die hards.

Tonight is the feast. Steve’s had the Smoker going since about 11pm last night ..... so the dozen or so of us here are in for a real treat.

About 10 scopes set-up on the field, but we didn’t get much done last night. Just a big sucker hole about 10pm to get polar aligned and that’s it. But most here were still up to the early hours talk the usual intelligent stuff ....

We’ll be here tomorrow night, rain, hail, or Coronavirus ....

Paul
Old 21-03-2020, 04:54 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Hey Ken.
Great to hear from you. I am having to do a bit of isolation as I had a bit of chest infection last week so being super safe.
Great to hear you are keeping busy, have to come for a fly with you one day!!!

Malcolm
Old 21-03-2020, 05:37 PM
Nico13 (Ken)
Galaxy Hunting

That’s great you have a few there at least.
Probably just as well you didn’t get the full crew or you’d be breaking the rules of social separation.
If we feel happy about it tomorrow Carol and will come up for a drive to see you after lunch just for old times sake. Be good to see you and have a bit of a chat, at a distance of course :poke :
Old 21-03-2020, 09:45 PM
Jen
Moving to Pandora

hey gday Nico
great to hear from you
Yes we will still be here tomorrow
Old 22-03-2020, 09:17 AM
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

Hey gang, seems that it was a wise precaution to say home. My cold developed into a chest infection - fortunately with no fever or any other nasty symptoms though!

I went to the Dr's & got some antibiotics (interesting experience, the clinic is like entering a war zone now, everyone in masks, hazard tape defining boundaries etc. ) - the pharmacy was insane too!

Anyway, I'm on the up now > keep safe & well everyone, see you on the other side!

Andy
Old 22-03-2020, 02:02 PM
byronpaul (Paul)

Hi all,

Saturday night at camp started with the feast ..... and some very happy dinners. The Smoker was a raging success and the meat was amazing. Plenty of salads on hand and well finished with a couple of Pavlovas. Thanks to Steve, Paul and David for your assistance.

After dinner, the night wasn't looking too good. Started out with lots of thick cloud which cleared a bit to high level cloud. Most on the field tried to get alignments done and guiding set-up but gave up after an hour or so and retired for the night, but in true Snake Valley tradition about midnight the heavens cleared and those of us still up got a good 3 ~ 4 hours of great visual and imaging.

In the early hours of the morning, the seeing and transparency where excellent, and the views through the 18" SDM were amazing. Having not had the scope out since last camp, did the normal popular targets. With the 21mm Ethos in the scope, spent a long time on my favs of Omega Centurai, Eta Carina and Tarantula. The later 2 were mind blowing with the DGM NPB filter

Attached is last nights go at Eta Carina and my first ever processed image. After collecting terabytes of data over the last 10+ years, I finally got something processed that looks like an astro object

Looking forward to a couple more relaxing days and clear nights.

Paul
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (NGC3372 (10%).jpg)
212.4 KB67 views
Old 22-03-2020, 10:06 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Great to hear Paul. The skies have just cleared out here in Geelong tonight, hoping to at very least get some subs to test out some new filters!!

Very happy you managed a processed image!! Did you do it in Pixinsight??

Huge thanks to the crew that have stepped up for this camp with myself so indisposed, regardless of numbers, camps are all about giving our little community the chance to get out and do what we love, especially in trying times like we have at the moment.

Malcolm
Old 23-03-2020, 10:15 AM
pfitzgerald (Paul)

Hi Folks
I'm typing this from my desk at School - having arrived about half an hour ago after driving in from SV.

How good was last night! Four+ hours of clear skies and stable air. So was able to imaging runs on the Christmas Tree nebula (2 hours of 10 minute subs) and Thor's Helmet (2 hours of 15 minute subs).
No I haven't processed them yet - but given that we have just been told to go home - if I don't fall asleep first I'll have a go when I get home.

Thank you all for a great weekend - those who couldn't make it due to illness please look after yourselves and I hope that you are well soon.

How long is it before the July camp!?...Get that countdown clock going Jen.

Paul
Old 23-03-2020, 11:43 AM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Hi all. Great to hear that the weather played ball a bit.

With July, I have penciled in the date BUT, it will be entirely dependant upon the rules in place at that time. Situation is very fluid. I picked July as some indications were that the "worst" may have passed by then, but we have no way to tell. The dates I have penciled in with Andrew from Camp Wedgetail are July 17-20 (New moon is July 20) .

I hope this is a good idea, but we will closely monitor situation.

Cheers
Malcolm
Old 24-03-2020, 06:02 PM
NewBee101 (Robert)
NewBee101

Great camp again good to see everyone again, the tea Saturday night was excellent, complements to the chef.
Unfortunately I trouble with my mount It would not work tried all sorts of remedies nothing worked. So decided to pack up Sunday, stayed for tea had a wander around the field for a while and then headed for home.
Been in touch with Sky Watcher all ready but their response is that slow it's a bit beyond a joke. Fortunately the mount is still under warranty, I only hope that S/W honor it.
A July camp sounds good, but it will be cold.
Robert
Old 01-05-2020, 10:40 PM
Jen
Moving to Pandora

Hi everyone
Even though our numbers were very low due to COVID-19 the camp was still awesome as usual, thanks everyone awesome company and fantastic Saturday night dinner as always (thanks Steve & Paul yummo Pav) xxoo (I LOVE MY ASTRO FAMILY) and the skies were pretty good to us too. I thought i would post my pics i managed to get from this camp which is the most i have ever got from SV lol my lobster pic i finished off at home which is my biggest project to date with just over 12 hours integration time woohoo
cheers everyone is is November yet ? hahahaha
PS: Paul its awesome to see after all these years of collecting data that you have finally processed an image woohoo (awesome to see)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	172.4 KB
ID:	258496

Name:	Webp.net-resizeimage (1).jpg
Views:	32
Size:	185.4 KB
ID:	258497

Name:	Webp.net-resizeimage (2).jpg
Views:	25
Size:	189.0 KB
ID:	258498

Name:	Webp.net-resizeimage (3).jpg
Views:	21
Size:	178.9 KB
ID:	258499

Name:	Webp.net-resizeimage (4).jpg
Views:	27
Size:	195.6 KB
ID:	258500
Old 02-05-2020, 05:37 AM
leon

Hi Guys glad you all had a great time as usual, and it is a shame that these uncertain times kept the numbers down.
Some awesome shots Jen, well done, love the Star Trail, and the other images of coarse.

Would you mind telling me the settings for the Trail Jen, please.

Leon