Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Software and Computers

Old 22-04-2019, 03:54 PM
bojan
amateur

Exclamation Problem with hard disk ? Corrupted files? Or not...

Interesting problems I have with one of Toshiba 2TB HD's..
I was working on some dxf files on my w'7 Pro desktop and saved my work on Toshiba portable drive.

Took it with me on weekend to Ballarat and tried to open them with laptop (w'7 home edition) - no luck, files appeared to be corrupted, by opening them with notepad I saw all kind of rubbish in them, including some of mine text files that deleted ages ago.. however I managed to rename bak files and I seemed to solve my problem.

Then I opened another subfolder with some images, and to tidy things a bit, I moved that subfolder to another and when tried to access it there was a message "Access denied" !!! Folder was 0 bytes in length, and inaccessible.
Since this is not the first time I had that problem, I tried to open the images with TV (linux), but no luck, the folder was not even visible.

Then I tried chkdsk /r/f and after ~10 hours of repairing, I checked again but no luck, actually the situation was even worse - the whole disk became inaccessible for w'7.

However, XP accessed the HD all right, but the folder in question was 0 bytes.. lost.. or was it?

Now the things become interesting - I connected the HD to USB port of my internet router - and all "lost " files and folders were there !!
What is going on here?
Whatever the problem guys, when your HD appears to be corrupted, try with another OS - you may be lucky.
Old 22-04-2019, 06:07 PM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)
Feel free to edit my imag

And this is the reason I have a three stage backup, 12Tb external and 12Tb internal drives weekly and monthly backups
Old 22-04-2019, 07:56 PM
bojan
amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukastronomer View Post
And this is the reason I have a three stage backup, 12Tb external and 12Tb internal drives weekly and monthly backups

Fair enough..
However the problem I described here couln't possibly be prevented with backup. Perhaps only by saving to two different HD's..
Old 22-04-2019, 10:08 PM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

Sounds like time to get everything you can off it bojan. You'll never know for sure what is corrupted, so probably best to treat all data with great caution.
HD's give amazing performance and reliability in general these days, so damned frustrating when you have this degree of problems.

If you do have backups for any of it, might be safer to rely on those and keep the salvaged data aside as required.
Old 22-04-2019, 11:26 PM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)
Feel free to edit my imag

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojan View Post
Fair enough..
However the problem I described here couln't possibly be prevented with backup. Perhaps only by saving to two different HD's..
No but with backups you don't care about missing data, I never fear a loss
Old 23-04-2019, 05:15 AM
bojan
amateur

Yep, I do have backups.. I was only puzzled with HP behavior with different OS's.
When I used XP on my desktop, I knew the disk was useless with w'7 for a year or so..

Also, once my HD fell on the floor from table... I managed to salvage everything using LINUX only (there was no physical damage to the disk) despite the whole sub directory was un-readable to xp.