Old 11-03-2013, 03:11 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

DSLR ARW/RAW to FIT

Do you know of any software that will batch output to a 16 bit FIT format from any DSLR RAW format (SONY ARW, CANON RAW, etc...). I'm not after a DNG converter or export to TIFF. Just RAW 16 bit FIT. Does PI do that?
PS: I don't want any debayering in the process. I want to keep the bayer matrix intact. TIA.
Old 11-03-2013, 05:17 PM
Bassnut (Fred)
Narrowfield rules!

DSLR RAW direct to 16bitFIT without DEbayer?, that's all silly and you know it
Old 11-03-2013, 05:32 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassnut View Post
DSLR RAW direct to 16bitFIT without DEbayer?, that's all silly and you know it
What's silly about it? A DSLR RAW will hold a bayer matrix. Why can't you export it to 16bit FIT format with the bayer matrix intact? The well depth as nothing to do with the bayer pattern.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:24 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

So... anyone? Lightroom and PI will debayer automatically. Raw Therapee front end for DCRAW will save only to TIFF not FIT. I'm after anything GUI or command line, don't care, that will batch ARW or CRW to FIT without debayering. There's bound to be something out there that does it?

PS: attached an ARW (SONY raw). You can rename the file extension to CRW (Canon raw). Same structure. MAXIM DL will read it. On the left you can see the Bayer Matrix straight off the DSLR. Right is Debayered in CCD Stack (RGGB - SONY sensor pattern). This is exactly what DRAW or Lightroom, PI etc... will do automatically. But I want a FIT like the one in the left, not debayered.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (ARWtoCRW.jpg)
194.9 KB111 views

Last edited by multiweb; 12-03-2013 at 08:41 AM.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:59 AM
gbeal

Can't help you Mark, and while I can't work out why you want this, I guess there must be a good reason.
I have the Sony DSLR, and used Sony Data Suite along with Remote Camera Control, if I use the Sony at the scope.
LightRoom and CS4 as well.
With the more recent acquisition of the Fuji X-Pro1 I have been hamstrung for a time, with only the very latest version of LightRoom accepting the Fuji RAW files, or the bundled software that accompanies the camera, this being "Raw File Converter EX by Silkypix".
When I use the Fuji at the scope I shoot RAW obviously, then use Silkypix to convert the RAW to TIFF, then use either Images Plus, or CS4. Hey, will Images Plus do what you want?
Gary
Old 12-03-2013, 01:33 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbeal View Post
Can't help you Mark, and while I can't work out why you want this, I guess there must be a good reason.
I have the Sony DSLR, and used Sony Data Suite along with Remote Camera Control, if I use the Sony at the scope.
LightRoom and CS4 as well.
With the more recent acquisition of the Fuji X-Pro1 I have been hamstrung for a time, with only the very latest version of LightRoom accepting the Fuji RAW files, or the bundled software that accompanies the camera, this being "Raw File Converter EX by Silkypix".
When I use the Fuji at the scope I shoot RAW obviously, then use Silkypix to convert the RAW to TIFF, then use either Images Plus, or CS4. Hey, will Images Plus do what you want?
Gary
Thanks for the info Gary. Neale as well told me IP does have a conversion routine doing that without debayering. I've just found out that MAXIM DL can also batch. If I rename the ARW file extension to CRW then MAXIM DL will read them. I'll try to batch the lot tonight and save them as unsigned 16 bits FIT. That should give me a proper bayer pattern in all the files which is what I want. So in the end you pretty much get a FIT file as if it was coming out of an OSC cooled CCD which is what I'm after.

The point of the exercise is to keep the whole dynamic range and extract each channel untouched. I know that's not the flow that everybody is using with Lightroom or other softwares dealing with DSLR RAW files but in this case I'm after something different. I don't want to jump to color straight away.
Old 12-03-2013, 07:08 PM
Limax7

Hi Marc,

Fitswork4 can do that!
http://www.fitswork.de/software/softw_en.php

Adam
Old 12-03-2013, 08:31 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Ha yes, I remember using fitswork a long while ago. Just reminded me of it. Thanks.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:33 PM
DavidTrap (David)
Really just a beginner

As I understand the FITS files from a DSLR that I saved when I was using a 350D with Maxim, were essentially the monochrome data of RGGB before the bayer filter had been applied to colourise the image.

Is a RAW file the same, or has it gone through a Bayer filter process??

My hunch is if a bayer filter has been applied, the maths required to convert it back to a monochrome RGGB image would be considerable!

You can obviously save the FITS images during capture if you drive your camera from Maxim.

DT
Old 12-03-2013, 08:41 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTrap View Post
Is a RAW file the same, or has it gone through a Bayer filter process??
A RAW file can have a bayer matrix or none if it's coming from a monochrome camera. I think most if not all DSLR have a bayer pattern. Any color file has to be debayered already by some process. So when you load a RAW file in PI or Lightroom and see color it's been debayered automatically and I wanted to avoid that.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:00 PM
DavidTrap (David)
Really just a beginner

I wasn't sure if the RAW file was bayer processed into a colour image or it if is a monochrome image that needs processing?

DT

Last edited by DavidTrap; 12-03-2013 at 10:01 PM. Reason: added a bit
Old 12-03-2013, 10:27 PM
naskies (Dave)

Canon RAWs haven't been debayered yet - stacking programs usually give you the option of using standard interpolation/debayering, debayering without interpolation (some call it super pixel mode that halves your resolution), or just picking out one channel (e.g. R for images taken through an H-alpha filter).
Old 13-03-2013, 03:08 AM
mostschaedel (Gerald)
mostschaedel

Hi Marc!
PixInsight has a BatchFileConvert script included
which converts also *.CR2 files to *.FIT files "without debayer".

Usually as a first step of calibration i run this conversion from CR2 to FIT of the
raw bias frames. Than i do an integrate of these raw bias FITS
to create a Master Bias (undebayered!) etc... etc...

Gerald
Old 13-03-2013, 06:23 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTrap View Post
I wasn't sure if the RAW file was bayer processed into a colour image or it if is a monochrome image that needs processing?

DT
All DSLR RAW would have a bayer matrix but most software debayer them automatically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naskies View Post
Canon RAWs haven't been debayered yet - stacking programs usually give you the option of using standard interpolation/debayering, debayering without interpolation (some call it super pixel mode that halves your resolution), or just picking out one channel (e.g. R for images taken through an H-alpha filter).
That's why I do manually yes. Usually debayer then upsample x2. GG are combined in one green which somehow makes it a bit sharper than red or blue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostschaedel View Post
Hi Marc!
PixInsight has a BatchFileConvert script included
which converts also *.CR2 files to *.FIT files "without debayer".

Usually as a first step of calibration i run this conversion from CR2 to FIT of the
raw bias frames. Than i do an integrate of these raw bias FITS
to create a Master Bias (undebayered!) etc... etc...

Gerald
Thanks Gerald. I didn't know that. I'll go check it out and rtfm. Oh wait, there's none.