Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Old 18-04-2018, 02:57 AM
billdan (Bill)

Close encounter with a large Asteroid last Sunday

Last Sunday at approx 4-40pm Sydney time an asteroid measuring up to 110 Metres in diameter flew by the Earth at 192,000Km altitude, inside the Moons orbit.

https://www.livescience.com/62313-as...e=notification
Old 18-04-2018, 08:41 AM
AstralTraveller (David)

At first I thought you had had a close encounter with an asteroid and I was wondering exactly what you meant. I thought perhaps you had recorded an asteroidal occultation or a light curve or something.

Yes, 110m would make a mess if it struck. Obviously nothing like the dino-smasher but big enough to cause regional destruction. If it struck land it could smash a city but if it struck the ocean the results could be even worse. An impact in places like the East China Sea, North Atlantic, Mediterranean etc would cause massive destruction to many cities. [And personally I'd really like it to avoid the Tasman Sea!]

Obviously this sort of thing has been going on since forever but we are only now becoming aware of the danger. Luckily they don't hit very often because I think that, despite our awareness, luck will be our only defense for quite a while yet.

Last edited by AstralTraveller; 18-04-2018 at 01:34 PM.