Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Old 30-05-2020, 01:20 PM
Slawomir (Suavi)

Lot's of great advices.

If you do not mind Alex, I am happy to share my take on your choices.

If you are going with 1600MM, then 1000mm FL is around optimal for imaging DSOs, and with 16200, around 1500mm FL should give optimal sampling for multi-night imaging of DSOs.

With those focal lengths in mind, for DSO imaging, I would look for the fastest scope I could afford. So either a quality 10"RC with a quality reducer, or a quality Newtonian.

Last but not least I would consider either top mount that would not hinder the resolution (what's the point of getting a huge scope for high resolution long focal length imaging if data gets blurred by the mount?), or a decent mount but with a camera with Active Optics.

Good luck and please keep us updated
Old 30-05-2020, 04:54 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Thank you Suavi I appreciate your input.
I am changing ideas ever hour.
I think the Celestron mount and the 12 rc if I can get a good reducer and a quality focused.
This morning I thought an f4 GSO Newtonian.
The reality my demands are not high so I expect whatever I end up with will make me very happy..I mean I have been happy with my little 80 mm and 115 mm refractors and my eight inch GSO Newtonian...I guess the money I will throw at it will mean some sort of compromise but I just can't pull the trigger on a Planwave ... I think it would be like me buying the largest Caterham sports car...I am never going to drive any of these things to their potential...and funny last night I was imagining with the little 80 mm and was happy as I could be...All I need is two more mounts, three more cameras and three more desk tops...
At least I now have enough observatories...two here and one in Sydney ..which reminds me I have to dismantle it and get it up...so that's room for four mounts all up.
My behaviour is normal right? So I can see the future ..the observatories all producing data, the over powered Caterham sports car sitting outside and the classic yacht alongside the jetty in the dam.
Hopefully the new observatory will be in place next week so I can start to set up a bed and stove for coffee..I have a new floor for it..still have to clear these trees and make the park...for astronomy guests...plus I want to learn to play poker..what an easy way to make millions.
Alex
Old 07-06-2020, 09:17 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

It's now the 10 inch on a Celestron mount..or 150 Espirit.
I need to get out of here I am going crazy.
Alex
Old 08-06-2020, 05:46 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
It's now the 10 inch on a Celestron mount..or 150 Espirit.
I need to get out of here I am going crazy.
Alex
Hmmm that’s a tough one...the Esprit 150 is plug-and-play but is f/7, whereas a 10” f/4 newt is a bit more frigging...but that’s an awful lot more photons
Old 08-06-2020, 06:51 PM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelopardalis View Post
Hmmm that’s a tough one...the Esprit 150 is plug-and-play but is f/7, whereas a 10” f/4 newt is a bit more frigging...but that’s an awful lot more photons
I built a 10" f5 truss newt using GSO mirrors, it was a very nice scope, and f5 is alot more useful in my opinion than f4. An f4 has a focal length of 1000mm, the f5 1250mm. Alex's TS115 has a focal length of 900, not reduced. So i think an 10" f4 Newt is not gaining much in terms of reach. Of course it has greater photon grab but it also has a central obstruction.
And yeah, an f4 Newt with secondary offset considerations is a bit more frigging around with in collimation. I am all in favour of easy to use scopes.
Old 08-06-2020, 07:32 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelopardalis View Post
Actually this one with a reducer..I need to work out if it would be happy with one...a 0.5 or o.6 ...I thought about the 12 but it's fl scares me but hopefully I could manage this..if not at least I gave it a go...could always add a Barlow and go for planets.
I hope I can make it work.
Alex
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (RC10A_1-8.jpg)
43.2 KB11 views
Old 08-06-2020, 07:45 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
I built a 10" f5 truss newt using GSO mirrors, it was a very nice scope, and f5 is alot more useful in my opinion than f4. An f4 has a focal length of 1000mm, the f5 1250mm. Alex's TS115 has a focal length of 900, not reduced. So i think an 10" f4 Newt is not gaining much in terms of reach. Of course it has greater photon grab but it also has a central obstruction.
And yeah, an f4 Newt with secondary offset considerations is a bit more frigging around with in collimation. I am all in favour of easy to use scopes.
I have a twelve inch f5 which needs a new surface and I may get it going as at f5 it appeals and I have imaged with it..but maybe a new focused and a new aluminium surface... I plan on the Celestron mount which should carry the 12 if I call it up...but I won't go near a f4 reflector.
Anyways lots to do before I get one..I will ring and find out delivery etc.
I have checked on Bintels calculator and the ten inch seems as it should work with the zwo but there will be something out there if not...I will have three mounts all housed so I want two more cameras in the long term..but another zwo can go on either of my current scopes...oh and there is the eight inch but it needs a focused to make me happy with it.
Alex
Old 08-06-2020, 08:19 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
Actually this one with a reducer..I need to work out if it would be happy with one...a 0.5 or o.6 ...I thought about the 12 but it's fl scares me but hopefully I could manage this..if not at least I gave it a go...could always add a Barlow and go for planets.
I hope I can make it work.
Alex
Looks like a beast of a scope

TBH, I’ve never understood the appeal...it’s like an SCT without a corrector plate