Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 29-05-2020, 10:06 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Input from friends for new scope.

I know I have asked along these lines re a 16 inch but any comments from those who know me and prepared to speak their mind would be greatly appreciated. Mind you if you don't know me but think you can help I would also welcome your input.
I think going for a 16 inch may be beyond my ability..why would I want one..well for no other reason than I want one..what will I photograph..not sure but no planets.
So I am thinking maybe a 12 inch f8 with the carbon fibre rods...it must be good with carbon fibre right? Or maybe the 10 inch..the FL scares me so I at least have some idea...do these scopes manage a focal reducer...is that a bad idea...around 1200 FL would be a good spot to aim for..what do you think?.hopefully to use a little zwo 1600 mono but if you think of a better camera please say so...mount..the large celestron mount about 6k one.
I would like to order the new scope now as I expect some delay and I just want to get on with it.
So help me spend some cash I need your help to get organised as my head is not clear but that has not stopped me in the past I want to get things going so I can think about other stuff.
Alex
Old 29-05-2020, 10:38 AM
glend (Glen)

Alex, I think I know you and your situation, well enough to offer some advice. First, consider the weight of any purchase and your ability to manage that weight. Secondly, how are you going to house it (the new observatory I would guess), and are you thinking of a heavy duty EQ mount say like an EQ8 or CGX-L (If a newt, RC, CDK, etc)? Also think about putting your mount on a good pier, and now is the time to think about the footing, and make that part of the observatory planning.
Three, you don't necessarily need really big aperture to image effectively. A 12" f8 that you mentioned, I assume your referring to say a GSO RC12, the 12,5" Planewave CDK, or the CFF 300mm RC, would be the limit I would suggest in terms of size, and they are still pretty heavy, the Planewave weighs nearly 50lbs naked. Another thing related, try to buy from a local retailer if you can, and I note that Bintel now supply Planewave scopes, in addition to GSO RCs (And I know you like Bintel)..
Four, keep your present camera, because this will simplify the transition to a new setup, you can always upgrade the camera later on, learn the new scope first. However, as a caveat, maybe discuss with Bintel a package deal, of mount, scope and new larger format camera; surely has to be worth a significant discount if bought at the same time.
Five, are you a collector or a user? There are people who buy scopes that get used very little, if at all, and I won't name any. IMHO do not buy something you will not use, there are better places to invest your money. Telescopes are not financial investments, Although I will add that a good quality scope from a desirable manufacturer with a great reputation, say like a Planewave, will likely always attract buyer interest.
So those are my thoughts. You have my number if you would like to talk in more detail. Good luck.
Glen

Last edited by glend; 29-05-2020 at 11:45 AM.
Old 29-05-2020, 10:40 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Alex
Only a suggestion, why not go for a 10” f5 carbon fibre newt from Sidereal Trading ? It has a focal length of 1200mm and is lighter than a steel tube OTA
At least it’s manageable if you have to pull it off the mount and do some maintenance
A 12” or 16” truss newt is a beast of a thing, but maybe you want a beast up there in Tabby with your dark skies ?

Just a suggestion

Hope more experienced folk chime in with their advice !

Cheers
Martin
Old 29-05-2020, 11:48 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Bintel GSO RC12A Truss Ritchey Chretien Astrograph on a
Celestron CGX-L German Equatorial Mount & Tripod is where I am thinking.
Thanks Glen and Martin I have only had a quick read so need to get back to sit and think
Alex
Old 29-05-2020, 12:31 PM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
Bintel GSO RC12A Truss Ritchey Chretien Astrograph on a
Celestron CGX-L German Equatorial Mount & Tripod is where I am thinking.
Thanks Glen and Martin I have only had a quick read so need to get back to sit and think
Alex
Alex, I highly recommend putting the CGX-L on a pier. You have this new observatory coming so this is a great time to be putting in a substantial footing (say a cubic metre of concrete) for a steel pier. Tripods are great for casual use and field work but in your own observatory a pier makes more sense (to me), and no tripod legs to trip over.
TPI Astro in Canada make nice CGX pier adaptors, I have one. Email Dave at TPI Astro to discuss.

http://www.tpiastro.com/cge_pier_adapter.htm
Old 29-05-2020, 01:50 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

It does largely come down to what camera you're wanting to use as to what path would be best. If you're considering a 12" F/8 then I can only assume that you've decided that you want to go after galaxies and small portions of nebula.

Using a ASI1600 at 2400mm would leave you with an image scale of 0.325"/pixel and a FOV like the image attached. So I guess it depends on what you're wanting to achieve.
You'd also JUST fit in NGC 253 if you got the camera rotation correct.

Ultimately I think you'd potentially be better with a 10-12" Truss Newtonian around the F/4-5 mark as it would better suit the ASI1600.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Alex.jpg)
192.6 KB19 views
Click for full-size image (Alex 2.jpg)
84.1 KB27 views
Old 29-05-2020, 02:31 PM
croweater (Richard)
Don't Panic!

Hi Alex. +1 for Glen's suggestion of a pier. Daniel Reardon from Melbourne has posted a great offer in the Equipment section. He would build/weld a pier to spec at material cost only to practice with his new welder. This seems a good opportunity for a stable pier at a good price if thats the way you want to go.
Cheers, Richard
Old 29-05-2020, 04:55 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Yeah I’d go with the 10” newt, depending on your pain tolerance when it comes to collimating as to whether to go f/4 or f/5...
Old 29-05-2020, 07:02 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmos View Post
It does largely come down to what camera you're wanting to use as to what path would be best. If you're considering a 12" F/8 then I can only assume that you've decided that you want to go after galaxies and small portions of nebula.

Using a ASI1600 at 2400mm would leave you with an image scale of 0.325"/pixel and a FOV like the image attached. So I guess it depends on what you're wanting to achieve.
You'd also JUST fit in NGC 253 if you got the camera rotation correct.

Ultimately I think you'd potentially be better with a 10-12" Truss Newtonian around the F/4-5 mark as it would better suit the ASI1600.
Thank you Colin I certainly appreciate the photos.
I guess I would really love ke to go after galaxies I am just worried that I am probably biting off more than I can chew.
Alex
Old 29-05-2020, 07:08 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
Alex, I highly recommend putting the CGX-L on a pier. You have this new observatory coming so this is a great time to be putting in a substantial footing (say a cubic metre of concrete) for a steel pier. Tripods are great for casual use and field work but in your own observatory a pier makes more sense (to me), and no tripod legs to trip over.
TPI Astro in Canada make nice CGX pier adaptors, I have one. Email Dave at TPI Astro to discuss.

http://www.tpiastro.com/cge_pier_adapter.htm
Thanks Glen.
I don't plan for a pier first up on the basis that I want to be very certain about the height of the scope and if I keep it before I place it on a pier.
There is a hole in the floor of the new one which I can access the ground and dig out a hole...maybe hire my new mate to do that..the one who cut down the trees...I am not used to paying people to do personal stuff but he works as hard as I once would and does in a day what will now take me a month.
I may take you up on giving you a call but reception here is not great..hopefully.
Alex
Old 29-05-2020, 07:10 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Dunk you are correct really but it's the dialling in that worries me FL is sensible for me.
Alex
Old 29-05-2020, 07:12 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by croweater View Post
Hi Alex. +1 for Glen's suggestion of a pier. Daniel Reardon from Melbourne has posted a great offer in the Equipment section. He would build/weld a pier to spec at material cost only to practice with his new welder. This seems a good opportunity for a stable pier at a good price if thats the way you want to go.
Cheers, Richard
Thanks Richard...it will depend on timing...I will make provision but want to get a feel for the best height.
Alex
Old 29-05-2020, 07:24 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

OK getting wild...what about my suggested rig with a ZWO ASI6200MM-P ...how would that go?
I suppose that would require a decent computer for capture and stacking.
No more 200 subs I expect.
Alex
Old 29-05-2020, 07:34 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Maximising the pain, Alex?!

A full frame sensor is pretty demanding on (relatively) inexpensive reflectors IMO
Old 29-05-2020, 07:49 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelopardalis View Post
Maximising the pain, Alex?!

A full frame sensor is pretty demanding on (relatively) inexpensive reflectors IMO
So it would be a headache on the RC 12 ?
It boils down to this..I was going to buy a decent caravan to live in but I am happy with this one I got for nothing so given I don't have much time left being realistic I figure to spend the accommodation money on astronomy.
I am crazy perhaps but I live for my astronomy..it's all I do really.
Alex
Old 29-05-2020, 08:17 PM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
It boils down to this..I was going to buy a decent caravan to live in but I am happy with this one I got for nothing so given I don't have much time left being realistic I figure to spend the accommodation money on astronomy.
Alex
I hope that is not true Alex ("the not much time left" bit) but I understand the viewpoint. You don't owe anyone an explanation. I am reminded of the lyrics of the Bon Jovi song, "It's my Life", .."..It's my life
It's now or never
I ain't gonna live forever
I just want to live while I'm alive".

Geez I can't believe I am quoting Jon Bon Jovi, haha.
Old 29-05-2020, 08:56 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
I hope that is not true Alex ("the not much time left" bit) but I understand the viewpoint. You don't owe anyone an explanation. I am reminded of the lyrics of the Bon Jovi song, "It's my Life", .."..It's my life
It's now or never
I ain't gonna live forever
I just want to live while I'm alive".

Geez I can't believe I am quoting Jon Bon Jovi, haha.
I am 73 that means another thirty years and I probably will have lost interest and want to take up bowls.
Alex
Old 29-05-2020, 09:00 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Quote:
Alex
Alex, I honestly couldn't tell you, I have no experience of an RC other than what I see written in these fine pages but from what I hear they can be a bit of a pain to collimate.

If you're not afraid of collimation, then go with a faster newt...the truss newts look nice and solid. The difference in speed between f/8 and f/4 imaging is pretty stark, and if you're skies are good, the pixel resolution on the 6200 should be pretty revealing for a 10" or 12" fast newt.

Ultimately, we're all on borrowed time...IMO we've all got to do what we love, within sensible bounds
Old 29-05-2020, 09:04 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I got the impression they are not a problem but I will look into that. Thanks Dunk.
Alex
Old 30-05-2020, 01:06 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

There will be correctors for them, so that's worth investigating.

But I'm not entirely certain what the fundamental pros and cons are between the different scope designs.

I think with RCs the field curvature is the problem, whereas with newts it's coma, but that's (almost certainly) oversimplifying it.