Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Old 24-05-2020, 11:12 PM
Stonius (Markus)

Where to buy working sextant?

There are lots of decorative ones around. Does anyone know where you'd get one to play with for actually taking readings and playing with old skool GPS?

Cheers,
Markus
Old 24-05-2020, 11:59 PM
Outcast (Carlton)
Always gonna be a NOOB...

If you want the real deal, try these guys:

https://www.boatbooks-aust.com.au/pr...n-instruments/

They are located in Sydney.. you can buy the cheap plastic ones, Yachties use them, they are functional & inexpensive... or you can buy a beautifully crafted one... providing you are prepared to spend some hard earned...

Cheers
Old 25-05-2020, 06:34 PM
The Mekon (John Briggs)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outcast View Post
If you want the real deal, try these guys:

https://www.boatbooks-aust.com.au/pr...n-instruments/

They are located in Sydney.. you can buy the cheap plastic ones, Yachties use them, they are functional & inexpensive... or you can buy a beautifully crafted one... providing you are prepared to spend some hard earned...

Cheers
Interesting. The cheapest plastic sextant would perhaps have an error of 1/10th of a degree - up to 6 miles out. Good for other purposes like measuring heights or horizontal angles.
I had two sextants until a few years ago. An old brass Hezzanith - sold for $600. I still have my Tamaya which has a scale reading to 1/5th of a minute, or 30x the accuracy of the plastic job.
Old 25-05-2020, 06:43 PM
Outcast (Carlton)
Always gonna be a NOOB...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mekon View Post
Interesting. The cheapest plastic sextant would perhaps have an error of 1/10th of a degree - up to 6 miles out. Good for other purposes like measuring heights or horizontal angles.
I had two sextants until a few years ago. An old brass Hezzanith - sold for $600. I still have my Tamaya which has a scale reading to 1/5th of a minute, or 30x the accuracy of the plastic job.
Agree John,

I wouldn't personally use a plastic sextant... I cut my teeth as an RAN Seaman Officer on an Admiralty Pattern Vernier Sextant. Can't recall the accuracy, depended on the Midshipman taking the sights... LOL

With the cheap price of GPS units these days I can't imagine the average Yachtie even bothering with a sextant these days... Navy still teaches it's use but, no where near as comprehensively as they used to. My first sight reduction was from first principles using Log tables.. groan...

Still have my Astro-Navigation notes & my Ocean Navigation Certificate Sight Book...
Old 27-05-2020, 01:09 PM
Stonius (Markus)

Thanks for the info guys, I think I managed to find one with the aid of your excellent suggestions. Cheers!

Markus