Old 08-10-2008, 12:07 PM
Matty P (Matt)
Star Struck

Thumbs up Preview of the Skies at Lostock!

As we were driving home on Monday night, I was able to have a preview of the skies similar to that at Lostock. I obviously was not driving but I was able to have a preview of very dark country skies. We were about half way between Wollongong and Goulbourn.

Even though my eyes weren't properly adjusted, the amount of stars visible was simply amazing. It was hard to make constellations as there were so many faint stars that from surburbia would not be visible.

The time was 1:30pm and the skies were perfectly clear. Orion was now about 25° above the horizon and the Southern Cross was upside down.

I was able to easily observe the LMC, SMC, M42, M45 and the area around Eta Carinae just to name a few. The LMC & SMC were bright patches in the sky and the best part was that there was no light pollution visible. Jupiter and the 1st quater Moon was also a fantastic sight setting in the West.

I'm sure the skies at Lostock will be even better.

Old 08-10-2008, 01:40 PM
madwayne (Wayne)

I hear ya loud and clear Matty. I remember staying in a cabin on a cattle farm last December just South of Moss Vale. Apart from the "glow" of Moss Vale it was crystal clear. I had my 8" LX90 then and the view of M42 was simply stunning.

I'm really looking forward to getting up to Lostock and spending three very long nights out under the skies up there. And as I look to the left only 21 days 9 hours and some loose change to go, but who's counting?

See you there.

Regards
Wayne
Old 08-10-2008, 02:21 PM
Matty P (Matt)
Star Struck

Quote:
Originally Posted by madwayne View Post
I hear ya loud and clear Matty. I remember staying in a cabin on a cattle farm last December just South of Moss Vale. Apart from the "glow" of Moss Vale it was crystal clear. I had my 8" LX90 then and the view of M42 was simply stunning.

I'm really looking forward to getting up to Lostock and spending three very long nights out under the skies up there. And as I look to the left only 21 days 9 hours and some loose change to go, but who's counting?

See you there.

Regards
Wayne
Amazing isn't it Wayne.

I can't wait! It is going to be a great three days!

Old 08-10-2008, 09:54 PM
AlexN
Tunnel Vision

I get this overwhelming sense of dread on the last day of every dark sky camp.... I hate looking at the sky at home.... its AVERAGE.... get out under dark skies and the sky is bursting with stars.... thats what its all about...

And you know its awesome when you can observe M31/LMC/SMC.... WITHOUT A TELESCOPE!!!

When you can stand there and observe 4 galaxies with the naked eye - then you're in astronomy heaven... (4th being the milky way obviously)
Old 08-10-2008, 11:42 PM
vash (Ashley)

I remember early in the year me and some mates went to to Rover park, 4 wheel drive park outside of Tenterfeild, Darkest skies I've ever seen. it was almost blinding the stars where that bright.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:45 AM
MrB (Simon)
Old Man Yells at Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex
And you know its awesome when you can observe M31/LMC/SMC.... WITHOUT A TELESCOPE!!!

When you can stand there and observe 4 galaxies with the naked eye.
I can see 3 of 4 (ex. M31) from my suburban backyard.... even SMC, tho country skies still chit all over my backyard view!
Old 09-10-2008, 02:16 PM
Matty P (Matt)
Star Struck

Although I can still easily observe all 4 Galaxies from my backyard, it doesn't even come close to a dark sky site.

Lostock is getting closer!
Old 09-10-2008, 04:21 PM
AlexN
Tunnel Vision

i cant even see the milky way from my house.. Its so horrible.. I am lucky to have access to a few dark locations though.
Old 10-10-2008, 12:56 PM
MrB (Simon)
Old Man Yells at Cloud

Heh sorry, don't read my previous post as a brag, far from it.(I just re-read it and got that impression)
Was supposed to mean that although I could see 3 of the 4 galaxies from my backyard, probably all four if M31 rose high enough, 'tis nothing compared to country skies.

Matty nailed it with fewer words!
Old 10-10-2008, 02:22 PM
centroid (Dave)

I'm missing my dark skies back home, Yes, we do have a few places left in the UK with reasonably dark skies .

I'm fortunate to live in rural village, that has no street lighting, and can see the Milky Way.

There's quite a bit of light pollution around the Warnbro/Rockingham area, where' I'm staying while in WA.

Having said that, get far enough out of town in WA, and the skies really are dark, superb in fact!!.

Only have my 15x70 binos with me, but hoping to 'track down' a few southern hemisphere DSOs, once the Moon gets out of the way.

Dave