Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Old 05-11-2019, 03:04 PM
PeterM

Hungry Jacks Rebel Whopper NO Beef

Had my first plant based (the advertising says that) HJ Rebel Whopper (Vegan?) while listening to some horse race in the car... well that's all they had on ABC radio at 2pm (Qld real time).

A Whopper being the fall back "meal" when in a hurry to get to our Leyburn observing site.

Well I was surprised. It tastes really good and more surprisingly I don't have that overly full gut feeling I get from meat whoppers.
Ok, you can tell it ain't meat, its no big deal as it looks like and tastes like a good bbq burger ought to. But it doesn't taste anything like the awful vege pattie burgers HJ had recently.

Will this change my eating habits when it comes to burgers, will I become a vegan... err nope, well not right now.
Will I buy another, you bet I will. I actually thoroughly enjoyed it. Now Maccas what are you lot up to?

Anyone else have any thoughts or tried them?

Last edited by PeterM; 05-11-2019 at 05:41 PM.
Old 05-11-2019, 03:34 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

That's interesting. What's in the burger then?
Old 05-11-2019, 03:38 PM
PeterM

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
That's interesting. What's in the burger then?
Here ya go..
CSIRO Science at work it seems.
https://www.lifehacker.com.au/2019/1...hopper-burger/
Old 05-11-2019, 04:31 PM
JohnF (John)

As a vegetarian, I am interested in trying this.
Old 05-11-2019, 08:26 PM
sharpiel

They're very yummy. I've had lots.
Old 05-11-2019, 08:35 PM
JA

There is also a, I think it's called, Zero burger/pattie at Grilled which is excellent

Best
JA
Old 05-11-2019, 08:53 PM
bobson (Bob)

You should watch documentary program "The Game Changers" on Netflix.
I am not vegetarian but some things they showed there simply can not be ignored.

Cheers
Bob
Old 05-11-2019, 09:14 PM
JA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobson View Post
You should watch documentary program "The Game Changers" on Netflix.
I am not vegetarian but some things they showed there simply can not be ignored.

Cheers
Bob
Thanks Bob - I'll give it a viewing. The trailer was enticing

Best
JA
Old 05-11-2019, 09:42 PM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

High in salt and higher in calories as well, soy is not overly healthy
Old 06-11-2019, 02:04 AM
wavelandscott (Scott)
Plays well with others!

Had a couple of opportunities to try the Impossible Burger/Beyond Meat offerings.

As a lifelong meat eater I can confirm that they are not meat...however, depending on the application, I do consider them a reasonable substitute.

Eaten “naked” it is just an okay patty of something that was edible but did not give me the same joy as a plain meat patty. However when used as a meatball in a tomato sauce I found it a worthy substitute.

So my take is, if you are going to slather it with sauce and other condiments you will likely be pleasantly surprised at how good a substitute it could be. But for me it will not be a replacement choice when beef is what I want.

As to it’s overall health and or environmental benefits I will remain silent.
Old 06-11-2019, 11:48 AM
CeratodusDuck (George)

It's Soylent - literally Maybe not made of humans, but for humans.

Soy has some VERY detrimental long term repercussions for men in particular, but at most of our ages, phyto-oestrogens aren't a major problem For young men though, yes they are, and research is showing a stark feminisation of Asian men over the decades. It's not pseudo-science, it's a genuine problem (lower birth rates etc).
Old 06-11-2019, 06:09 PM
N1 (Mirko)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeratodusDuck View Post
Soy has some VERY detrimental long term repercussions for men in particular, but at most of our ages, phyto-oestrogens aren't a major problem For young men though, yes they are, and research is showing a stark feminisation of Asian men over the decades. It's not pseudo-science, it's a genuine problem (lower birth rates etc).
I've heard similar stories about beer, and if true, then soy consumption, no matter what amount, would have to be the last thing for young men to worry about
Old 06-11-2019, 07:11 PM
that_guy (Tony)
Local Korean Millennial

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeratodusDuck View Post
It's Soylent - literally Maybe not made of humans, but for humans.

If you're going to make this sort of claim please back it up with research. Like any food consumption too much of anything is bad for you. The "study" that's the basis of this claim is from a study of one male subject and experiments done on male lab rats, both which proved inconclusive results.

As an Asian man who grew up eating Tofu, soymilk, soy noodles, soy bean pastes, soy sauce and numerous soy products, I haven't even heard of this claim until recently. Soy is a vital staple of our diet in south east asia due to the lack of farm land for growing other protein sources for thousands of years. Not to mention the whole "feminisation" of masculine men is an outdated concept of judging modern men.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...-a8382976.html
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20378106
Old 06-11-2019, 07:41 PM
el_draco (Rom)
Politically incorrect.

HJ's

Ah yes, replacing one food like substance that causes tremendous damage to both the individual and the environment...
with a food like substance that probably doesn't...
Get used to it. Meat "production" is going to end far sooner than you can imagine...
and not soon enough!
Old 06-11-2019, 07:53 PM
sharkbite
Look up!

I might be a bit fussy....

I tried one and it was foul.....

Texture like mashed beans and taste like that 'orrible ersatz smoky bacon flavour they
Put in woolies chicken.

Blech....

I might ask for an "angry" one so the chilli hides the crap taste.

For the price though I 'spose it ain't worth complaining
Old 06-11-2019, 08:27 PM
doppler (Rick)

Tried some supermarket "pretend" chicken kievs tonight, they still need a lot of work , not enjoyable at all. Amazed at the amount of ingredients they have used to try and get some flavor happening though.

Rick
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (no chicken.jpg)
181.1 KB62 views
Old 12-11-2019, 09:45 PM
Tandum (Robin)

I'm in India just now. Macas biggest seller is the chick pea big mac. I tried the chicken big mac instead. Spicy spicy with jalapenos on top. It'd be a hit at home. Burger king opened here some time ago with normal burgers and the military was called in to calm the riots. Talk about insensitive. I saw on the news they are trying again with this vegy burger. There are as many indians in india as chinese in china. Huge market and they all want a slice.
Old 14-11-2019, 09:49 AM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

Tried the rebel the other day. No big deal, tastes like a whopper which all taste the same as its the sauces anyway.
Old 16-11-2019, 11:32 PM
Oddity (Andrew)

Whilst not vegan or vegetarian I’ve tried a number of Vegan substitutes with friends and colleagues and to be frank I’d rather beautifully cooked, well seasoned fresh vegetables with lovely vegetable-based sauces & stocks.

Had a vegan cashew brie at a work do last night and the texture made me gag. Also went with friends to a vegan chinese restaurant and the Soy-substitute mock meat texture has tasted like fried sponge to me.

Give me beautiful vegetables any day.
Old 17-11-2019, 01:54 PM
OICURMT
Oh, I See You Are Empty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM View Post
Here ya go..
CSIRO Science at work it seems.
https://www.lifehacker.com.au/2019/1...hopper-burger/
It apparently isn't just a CSIRO invention... though they have their own version of it.

Burger King (a.k.a. Hungry Jack's in Australia) have it also... and have been test marketing it for more than a year.

However, there are concerns from Vegans: https://www.cnbc.com/2019/08/08/vegetarians-torn-over-trying-burger-kings-impossible-whopper.html

Two companies that have meatless meat

https://impossiblefoods.com/ (who make the Impossible Whopper)
This company has been around since 2011 (privately held). We have two local restaurants that have been serving Impossible meatless burgers for more than two years. The makeup of the meat is patented.

https://www.beyondmeat.com/
This company is public and trades on the NASDAQ https://www.cnbc.com/quotes/?symbol=BYND

I've had both of their offerings and I can tell you that they taste like meat, but the texture is still not there...

I suspect that Burger King / Hungry Jacks licensed meats from their respective countries. When I get a chance to get back to Australia, I'll have to do a comparison....