Old 13-05-2010, 04:38 PM
orestis

Antennae Galaxies Sketch 12/5/10

Hi Everyone,

After seeing Patricks Brilliant sketch of the Antennae that night, i was determined to try and find it and try to make a sketch of it and so i did and believe me i was amazed.

Antennae Galaxies-I thought that it would be a lot harder to find this object than i thought and it proved to be quite easy after checking stellerium.Using th 25mm as my finder i found the pair as a faint blotch of light and after a bit when using Averted Vision i could clearly see the seperation and to me it looked a little bit like a jelly bean.Using higher magnification 90x (10mm) i could see it a lot better than at lower power i did my sketch at this power.I wanted to go for higher magnification but i found it more dificult to track and it was a lot fainter.the right lobe was quite distictly the larger and Brighter of the two.It was quite amazing to think that i was seeing one of the most dramatic object in the night sky in my telescope.The conditions were that it was clear but some smoke from the fireplace and seeing was average.but it was freezing i think my hands were about to drop off but it was definatley worth it.All observations with a 130mm in southern highlands dark skies.

Clear skies to all
Regards Orestis

Ps-which one do you think is better i think the first is too dark whats your opinion?
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Anttenae  Galaxies.JPG)
191.1 KB54 views
Click for full-size image (Antennae gallaxies 2.JPG)
186.2 KB57 views

Last edited by orestis; 13-05-2010 at 05:11 PM.
Old 13-05-2010, 05:03 PM
Paddy (Patrick)
Canis Minor

Fantastic Orestis. Great sketch and great observing with a 130mm scope. I agree that the second, lighter version is better and keeps more of the detail. Well done!
Old 13-05-2010, 05:14 PM
orestis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
Fantastic Orestis. Great sketch and great observing with a 130mm scope. I agree that the second, lighter version is better and keeps more of the detail. Well done!
Thanks a lot Patrick for your very kind Comments.I never thought that i could actually see it with my scope and i was proven wrong.i was quite amazed to actually see something that resembeled your sketch i was thrilled.I agree the second one is definately better.

Thanks.
Regards orestis
Old 13-05-2010, 07:20 PM
pgc hunter

Great sketch there buddy! You're really cruising along, keep it up and looking forward to more work from you.
Old 14-05-2010, 09:09 AM
goober (Doug)
No obs, raising Harrison

Nice one - certainly jives with how I remember it in the 101mm - a faint jelly bean.
Old 14-05-2010, 11:46 AM
Rob_K

Wonderful stuff orestis! I kinda like the first one, pretty much what I have seen through the eyepiece with the 4.5". Keep up the good work!

Cheers -
Old 14-05-2010, 09:39 PM
Davekyn (David)
Loves Staring Into Space!

Nice art work...hope this target lingers for a while yet. Keep the good work up. Who needs a camera with eyes & tallent like that
Old 15-05-2010, 07:26 AM
orestis

Thanks for all the comments,

regards Orestis
Old 17-05-2010, 10:26 AM
ngcles
The Observologist

Hi Orestis,

Yep, wonderful sketch mate that is a good impression of how it looks in that size-range of 'scope. Well done !

Best,

Les D